Basilisk II PSP Port (Mac Emulator)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Dark Chazz

Post by Dark Chazz »

awsome!
madrunner15

Post by madrunner15 »

i love this but i cant seem to get it to work, i think my ROM is corrupted or something i would appreciate it if some one could point me in the direction of a 7 or 8 ROM, tried google and found nothing
Wally

Post by Wally »

dennis96411 wrote:Hey, I found Mac OS 8.1 update, but it's in smi.bin format. How do I run it with the PSP Basilisk? I also found some software for Mac (iCab, iDraw...) but it's in .sit format. How do I open it? If we figure it out, we can use iCab to browse the internet! Whoo!!

Mac 8.1: http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Su ... .1_Update/

Mac Softwares: http://wiki.oldos.org/Downloads/MacOSClassic
You need Mac OS 8.0 to run 8.1.. We can not distribute that yet..

Get System 7.5.3 instead but still you cant distribute it.

Wally
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

Wally4000 wrote:
dennis96411 wrote:Hey, I found Mac OS 8.1 update, but it's in smi.bin format. How do I run it with the PSP Basilisk? I also found some software for Mac (iCab, iDraw...) but it's in .sit format. How do I open it? If we figure it out, we can use iCab to browse the internet! Whoo!!

Mac 8.1: http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Su ... .1_Update/

Mac Softwares: http://wiki.oldos.org/Downloads/MacOSClassic
You need Mac OS 8.0 to run 8.1.. We can not distribute that yet..

Get System 7.5.3 instead but still you cant distribute it.

Wally
So how do I run .sit files?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

dennis96411 wrote: So how do I run .sit files?
I posted a CDROM of shareware/etc stuff last page. That has StuffIt Expander on it. It's an installer - just double-click it to install, then drag and drop the .sit file on top of the StuffIt Expander icon on the desktop. Note the un-stuffing files is VERY slow. StuffIt was slow even on a real Mac, but emus like B2 are even slower since it's nothing but complex byte code.
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:
dennis96411 wrote: So how do I run .sit files?
I posted a CDROM of shareware/etc stuff last page. That has StuffIt Expander on it. It's an installer - just double-click it to install, then drag and drop the .sit file on top of the StuffIt Expander icon on the desktop. Note the un-stuffing files is VERY slow. StuffIt was slow even on a real Mac, but emus like B2 are even slower since it's nothing but complex byte code.
I found it faster to install System 7.6.1 for some reason..

Wally
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

can any one try mac os 7.5.5 it stoped working for me since test6
it works fine in test5
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

siulmagic wrote:can any one try mac os 7.5.5 it stoped working for me since test6
it works fine in test5
Maybe your image is corrupt. 7.5.5 works fine here. That's half the fun in beta testing - crashing the system so hard even your keyboard is crashed. :)

Okay, the next test build is coming along nicely - I sped up millions mode a little, fixed a bug where the OSK was still all the way to the left when moved to the left even when it shouldn't be (on LCD 4:3 mode or TV not in overscan, for example).

Not sure what I'll work on next...
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

but isint it strange that it works in test5 0o
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

You still refuse to give any info. "It doesn't work" isn't info. What is it you're trying to run EXACTLY. What does it do EXACTLY. How is the emulation configured EXACTLY. If you're going to beta test, please learn how to report bugs or I will continue to ignore you.
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

using test8

ok here's my setting's

Graphics/sound
Screen mode: 640x480
color depth:256 8bit
windows refresh rate 60hz
sound: on

Memory/misc
MacOS Ram Size 12mb
Mac model ID: MAc IIci MacOS 7.X
cpu type: 68040

rom file: quadra 900

Serial/network
Tunnel Mac Os Networking over UDP: off
upd port number 6066

Volumes
Boot from : Any
psp emstick root : on

Mac volumes
file 1 hdd.hfv this on wallly gave me (if im not mistaken) to configure my mouse speed
file 2 system.hfv this one is called bootstrap inside mac
file 3 system7.5.5.hfv this one is labeled as system75
cd rom: n/a
floppy: n/a

psp specific settings
psp cpu clock 222/111mhz
psp lcd screen default

edit1: im trying to make a clean install of 7.5.3 with the network access disk (Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.bin )

same setting exept im now using a quadra 650 rom
and the volume settings are as follow:
file1: mac7.hfv this one is clean nothing on it
cdrom: Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.bin

so with this settings it still wont boot from the network disk it just loops the happy face logo like 3 times then it crashes
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

On "any", B2 boots from the first bootable hardfile selected, starting from 1. If a hardfile has been "blessed" but doesn't have a bootable system on it, you'll get a Happy mac, but no boot. You also can't boot a .sea.bin file. That's an archive.

Since you're having trouble, get rid of all the damn hardfiles and try ONE THING at a time. How can you narrow do the problem when you're trying twenty things at once?
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

J.F. wrote:On "any", B2 boots from the first bootable hardfile selected, starting from 1. If a hardfile has been "blessed" but doesn't have a bootable system on it, you'll get a Happy mac, but no boot. You also can't boot a .sea.bin file. That's an archive.

Since you're having trouble, get rid of all the damn hardfiles and try ONE THING at a time. How can you narrow do the problem when you're trying twenty things at once?
its ok i just deleted the hardfiles made a clean one got the starterdisk and im now running mac os 7.5.3 freshly installed, i now know what the problem was my mac rom i got a hold of another rom the quadra 650 and it worked with test8 so yea im now using test8 everything is fine now

the only problem is that no matter how many times i change my mouse speed its still tad slow
Wally

Post by Wally »

siulmagic wrote:
J.F. wrote:On "any", B2 boots from the first bootable hardfile selected, starting from 1. If a hardfile has been "blessed" but doesn't have a bootable system on it, you'll get a Happy mac, but no boot. You also can't boot a .sea.bin file. That's an archive.

its ok i just deleted the hardfiles made a clean one got the starterdisk and im now running mac os 7.5.3 freshly installed, i now know what the problem was my mac rom i got a hold of another rom the quadra 650 and it worked with test8 so yea im now using test8 everything is fine now

the only problem is that no matter how many times i change my mouse speed its still tad slow
Thats normal, wait until the video is up to sync!

Wally

P.S People please stay calm until I release a Readme!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

siulmagic wrote:

Some roms are just plain trouble. Some needed a LOT more patching than others. It's a matter of trial and error sometimes. Good to hear you're going again.

I'll probably play with the mouse speed a bit. It's not bad to the left and up, but down and right can be a little slow. That's because of how joysticks work... that and the asymmetry of two's complement numbers. :)

I just trashed my hardfile again trying to play Dark Forces. I forgot how much fun this was. ;)

I've gotten the Mac clock set correctly now. That will be in the next release. I'm also trying the "normal" B2 timing again... I think that's working now, which is good because the timing I was doing ran half as fast in interlaced mode. The Mac thought 15 seconds had elapsed when 30 had, for example.

Has anyone played around with the networking? I can never get my PSP to connect to the router when I'm thinking about it, but the moment I'm doing something else, it connects every time. :D

Also, by test 8, I don't think the video will get significantly faster. Not unless I get another epiphany like the last one. I've found that 256 colors runs well at 20 Hz, and millions needs to be at 12 or 10 to be better than sluggish. I think there would need to be optimizations to the CPU core to do much better at this point. By the way, I've already optimized the get/put longword, and byte swap longword functions using the built in allegrex commands. That gave about a 10% boost to the speed of graphics, among other things.
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:
Has anyone played around with the networking? I can never get my PSP to connect to the router when I'm thinking about it, but the moment I'm doing something else, it connects every time. :D

Also, by test 8, I don't think the video will get significantly faster. Not unless I get another epiphany like the last one. I've found that 256 colors runs well at 20 Hz, and millions needs to be at 12 or 10 to be better than sluggish. I think there would need to be optimizations to the CPU core to do much better at this point. By the way, I've already optimized the get/put longword, and byte swap longword functions using the built in allegrex commands. That gave about a 10% boost to the speed of graphics, among other things.
Networking, I haven't tried it yet.. I'll give it a shot, might save me some time IMHO.

Good news about test 9 though!

Gimme a couple of hours and i'll start the readme.

Wally
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:
J.F. wrote:

Networking, I haven't tried it yet.. I'll give it a shot, might save me some time IMHO.

Wally
Great! Someone is going to work on it! Less for me to do! :)

About the only major thing left that would change a readme is the button remapping. I think I should probably start on that.

About time for a midnight snack... :D
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:
Wally4000 wrote:
J.F. wrote:

Wally
Great! Someone is going to work on it! Less for me to do! :)

About the only major thing left that would change a readme is the button remapping. I think I should probably start on that.

About time for a midnight snack... :D
:D You addicted to this project now.. I see why you left it until late :)

Wally

P.S pretty pretty please add support for Phrase Craze Plus and Shufflepuck Cafe/ Stuntcopter Sound :O
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

well i did test networking heh XD
i tried icab gives me and error of no connection (works fine in offline mode)
netscape 3.4 if im not mistaken same as above

they all work fine offline but when you load b2 with network on they shell out an error as if there were no active connection im gona load em up and get the exact error codes

iCab error (network error #-98)
Netscape error the aplication unkown has unexpectedly quit, because an error of type 15 occurred

i can also try IE 4.0 Jf if you want em too
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

siulmagic wrote:well i did test networking heh XD
i tried icab gives me and error of no connection (works fine in offline mode)
netscape 3.4 if im not mistaken same as above

they all work fine offline but when you load b2 with network on they shell out an error as if there were no active connection im gona load em up and get the exact error codes

iCab error (network error #-98)
Netscape error the aplication unkown has unexpectedly quit, because an error of type 15 occurred

i can also try IE 4.0 Jf if you want em too
You DO realize you need to set up the Mac networking first, right? You can't just start using a browser. Google for setting up the network with B2 for details.
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

ya i just figured that cus i went to the mactcp and they were all the fields are blank o well better start typing em in
jas0nuk

Post by jas0nuk »

Hm.. is it just me or is it impossible to toggle between TV output and LCD output on test8? :/
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

gulp setting up network is a nightmare and having trouble finding a guide to help me set it up

will keep trying
Wally

Post by Wally »

oh J.F you might wanna add detection of the WLAN switch, so that when loading an access point it will ask you to switch the switch before WLAN can be used.

At the moment it says "can not detect access point"

Wally
RyanfromtheShire

Post by RyanfromtheShire »

Wally4000 wrote:
dennis96411 wrote:Okay, the video is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhr3JBHazPE
So I guess you dont have any mac games ;)

try some of these!

http://www.68kshrine.net

Or if you feel like it

http://www.68kshrine.net/68k

I need feedback!

Wally
How do I get these working?

I'd love to have battleship. :)

When I download it, I get two folders:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6921/bshipmv4.jpg

and

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/4316/macosgo7.jpg

I'm using basilisk II test8, and mac 7.5.
madrunner15

Post by madrunner15 »

okay i have a problem im attempting to run 7.5 with the newest betta of balilisk it connects to my wifi but after it says reading rom file the screen turns black the memory stick light flashes once and then my psp shuts down i got the rom from who ever posted that youtube video. I have not created a hard file should i do so?
my settings
ROM mac 7.5
MacOS RAM size:14
Mac Modl ID: Mac llic (macOS 7.x)
cpu type: 68030
Volumes
boot from: any
PSP memstick root: on
File: HDD.HFV
File: Boot Strap.HFV
Floppy: Mac Paint
CPU clock: Default
anyone help me? I have CFW 4.01 M33-2 PHAT with the 1.5 kernel addon and my folder is in the PSP\GAME
Dark Chazz

Post by Dark Chazz »

set the ram size to 13.
madrunner15

Post by madrunner15 »

thanks man got it working!
RyanfromtheShire

Post by RyanfromtheShire »

Can OS 8 be loaded?
madrunner15

Post by madrunner15 »

okay i got it working but i cannot do anything with the finder, cant click it or anything, also same problem with the desktop items and floppys, cannot access them. any more help.