dosbox, now with 100% less drama

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

gelon

Post by gelon »

crazyc wrote:That's by design. If you want to have to only push it once, use input mapping,
oh, ok, i see what you mean, thanks, i will try to make a good layer for Alone ^_^
Dark Chazz

Post by Dark Chazz »

still on those bugs crazyc ?
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Dark Chazz wrote:still on those bugs crazyc ?
I think I know what's happening, just not sure the best way to fix it.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Okay, put up a new binary, windows 3.1 works now. I've put up a new patch too.
raulpica

Post by raulpica »

It's good to see new DosBox PSP builds.

Keep up with the good work, CrazyC!
bulldog

Thanks CrazyC!

Post by bulldog »

CrazyC,

Thanks for your awsome work on DOSBox for the PSP! I have figured out how to get Kyrandia 1 and 2 to run decently with voices.

I was hoping that you might consider adding support for keyboard combinations via INPUTMAP. I know that a lot of us would love that feature! It could be used for mapping a button to type a cheat code for a game.

I was also wondering if it is possible to alter the frameskip from a batch file. Then I could speed it up for specific games that need it. I tried it but it crashed the DOSBox. I am not sure if I did it wrong or if it is not supported to do this in a batch file.
--Bulldog
"I appear here and there, now and then, to this one and that one. A benign but mischievous creature. Very fond of rumpots, crackpots, and how are you, Mr. Wilson?"
Wally

Re: Thanks CrazyC!

Post by Wally »

bulldog wrote:CrazyC,

Thanks for your awsome work on DOSBox for the PSP! I have figured out how to get Kyrandia 1 and 2 to run decently with voices.

I was hoping that you might consider adding support for keyboard combinations via INPUTMAP. I know that a lot of us would love that feature! It could be used for mapping a button to type a cheat code for a game.

I was also wondering if it is possible to alter the frameskip from a batch file. Then I could speed it up for specific games that need it. I tried it but it crashed the DOSBox. I am not sure if I did it wrong or if it is not supported to do this in a batch file.
Seriously scummVM is no match for Scumm games like kyrandia, and its NOT emulating the game. Hence no slowdowns...

Give ScummVM a try for me.

Wally
Weaver1497

Post by Weaver1497 »

I also have to express how absolutely pleased I am to come here and see updates CrazyC. For the people that had a 386 and the countless hours we spent playing old adventure games, the ability to play these on the PSP never ceases to amaze. I believe we also understand that everyone has real world responsibilities, so the fact that you continue to update Dosbox really does mean a lot to those of us that use it regularly. Once again thank you for the updates, and I do hope that you continue to improve upon this amazing (and entertaining) program.
aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

ehm, CrazyC, are you sure you uploaded the right eboot.pbp? my psp says 16.juni 2008.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

aTomIC wrote:ehm, CrazyC, are you sure you uploaded the right eboot.pbp? my psp says 16.juni 2008.
I forgot to update the timestamp. I'm sure it's right.
bulldog

Re: Thanks CrazyC!

Post by bulldog »

Wally4000 wrote: Seriously scummVM is no match for Scumm games like kyrandia, and its NOT emulating the game. Hence no slowdowns...

Give ScummVM a try for me.

Wally
Dude! I have already checked out ScummVM! Although it is an awesome game engine, it does NOT currenty support Kyrandia 2! I do think that Kyrandia 1 plays better on ScummVM. It looks like they don't plan to offer support for any of the King's Quest series. It just seems easier to run these games in DOSbox. I do get glitches in the Kyrandia games, but I save frequently and reload it if anything goes wrong.
--Bulldog
"I appear here and there, now and then, to this one and that one. A benign but mischievous creature. Very fond of rumpots, crackpots, and how are you, Mr. Wilson?"
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

Wally4000 wrote:
andwhyisit wrote:Is there a way to have dosbox start with the mapped keys instead of pressing ltrigger + rtrigger + select + down every time I start up dosbox?
put it in the autoconf section of the dosbox.conf file.

Wally
I already know that. *facepalm*

I have the buttons mapped already. But I want to start dosbox and use those mapped keys straight away, without having to EVER press ltrigger + rtrigger + select + down.
olesolo

Post by olesolo »

fallout 1 don`t work on the last build.
it`s just appear dos4gw copyrights and thats all. dosbox doesn`t freeze.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

I've put up a new build with an experimental change to improve performance. Unfortunately it doesn't improve performance as much as I hoped, but every little bit helps I suppose. Also, now you can change frameskip from the command line,
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

Hey umm how do I apply Dosbox.patch? And the files in your first post, when did you updated (**/**/**)? Just to like to have the newest version of DOSBox. Anyway, keep up the good work!
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

dennis96411 wrote:Hey umm how do I apply Dosbox.patch? And the files in your first post, when did you updated (**/**/**)? Just to like to have the newest version of DOSBox. Anyway, keep up the good work!
I haven't put up a new patch as I'm still adding a few new tweaks. Just get the binary for now.
Dark Chazz

Post by Dark Chazz »

thank you very much for this update.
Stabwound

Post by Stabwound »

So is there a way to map button combos to a key?

Like, L+R=enter for example?
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

So how do I apply Dosbox.patch? And are those 2 prx's needed?
kamui

Post by kamui »

Hi,

I have some requests :

- Can you add support to combinaison mapping ? for exemple INPUTMAP square lalt+o

- Can you add the possibility to map analog stick directions to simple keybord arrows (INPUTMAP digital_up up, for exemple)? so that I could map the digital psp directions to other keysbord keys (so I'll have 4 more available keys to map)

- Is it possible to desactivate the upscaler ? I want to plays in original resolution (320x200), it wont be in full screen, but the ratio will be exact and it should give a speed boost.

And a little question, is it possible to play with prince of persia 2 in fullspeed ? what are the mincycles and maxcycles that I should use ?

Thank you for this excellent software :)
jean

Post by jean »

Sorry for spamming like this, but i see many people asking for key combination macros. Well, i see crazyC is a little busy, better to leave him doing the hard part!! ;) I think there's no problem mapping a PSP key to a combination, while handling viceversa seems a little trickier (what if i have no keyboard and my app requires more than PSP's buttons?). I'm currently writing a library to recognize very complex -runtime programmable- event combination, like button sequences we all used to learn while playing Mortal Kombat or Tekken. Once finished, it would be a piece of cake to embed it anywhere. Let me know what you think about it.

jean

PS: by the way...i personally hate software requests, and if it depended on me, i would have ignored all concerning posts.
kamui

Post by kamui »

I personally think that software requests can make softwares better ...

BTW, theses are just suggestions, not orders ; They can be iniored if judged too complex / not interesting by the developper.

At least that is my point of view as a developper : I personnaly like requests, because that means that my projects are apreciated and followed by a community, and sometimes they can give me some good ideas or a direction to take I would not have see if I always iniored my e-mails :p

(sorry for my bad english ...)
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

kamui wrote:- Can you add support to combinaison mapping ? for exemple INPUTMAP square lalt+o
I intend to do this.
kamui wrote:- Can you add the possibility to map analog stick directions to simple keybord arrows (INPUTMAP digital_up up, for exemple)? so that I could map the digital psp directions to other keysbord keys (so I'll have 4 more available keys to map)
This would be a bit hard, I'll have to think about it.
kamui wrote:- Is it possible to desactivate the upscaler ? I want to plays in original resolution (320x200), it wont be in full screen, but the ratio will be exact and it should give a speed boost.
You can set the aspect ratio to 4:3 by setting aspect=1 in the render section of dosbox.ini. The GU is still used for drawing so there won't be speed boost. Also, if anyone cares, you can invert the screen with invert=1.
kamui wrote:And a little question, is it possible to play with prince of persia 2 in fullspeed ? what are the mincycles and maxcycles that I should use ?
Prince of Persia 2 for me works at full speed, even with sound, with cycles=sync and at 333Mhz. It doesn't work from the memory stick, unless you use imgmount, though.
kamui

Post by kamui »

Thanks a lot for your answer, I'll try these configurations.

Bye, and good luck with your projet :)
OuahOuah

Post by OuahOuah »

Hello

Nice port huhu.
So many work... amazing :)

Simple question : can we have (here or in the readme.txt in future release), the list of all key from PSP that can be mapped ?
Volume down, up ? screen key ? note key ?

And if I launch a game, does dosbox keeps the mapped config ?
paco.

Post by paco. »

cracy z can you add to your DOSBox wifi compatibility?, please, there programmer that is working on the MicroXP for DOSBox but if dosbox haven´t wifi ... who now vote for the wifi on dosbox?
Bye!!

Sorry for my english. ;)
drunkgoblin

Post by drunkgoblin »

Crazyc, you have made me a very happy man. I can now play Raptor: Call of the Shadows very nearly full speed on my psp. some slight music/sound stuttering, but far better than I ever hoped for!
vader347

Dosbox Port to the Wii

Post by vader347 »

I am currently working on a port of dosbox to the wii.
I know this is a psp forum but alot of the errors that I get I have been able to solve based on this thread and your version of dosbox.

Hopefully you will be able to help me.

Code: Select all

linking ... WiiDos.elf
cdrom_image.o: In function `CDROM_Interface_Image::LoadCueSheet(char*)':
src/dos/cdrom_image.cpp:413: undefined reference to `dirname'
dos_programs.o: In function `ResolveHomedir':
src/dos/dos_programs.cpp:69: undefined reference to `getpwnam'
drive_local.o: In function `localFile::Write(unsigned char*, unsigned short*)':
/home/zach/Desktop/wii/WiiDos/src/dos/drive_local.cpp:460: undefined reference to `ftruncate'
drive_local.o: In function `localDrive::TestDir(char*)':
src/dos/drive_local.cpp:349: undefined reference to `access'
drive_local.o: In function `localDrive::RemoveDir(char*)':
src/dos/drive_local.cpp:330: undefined reference to `rmdir'
shell.o: In function `AUTOEXEC':
src/shell/shell.cpp:413: undefined reference to `access'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [/home/zach/Desktop/wii/WiiDos/WiiDos.elf] Error 1
make: *** [build] Error 2
I am using the latest cvs but I get these same errors in the official .72 .

It seems that I need to create a ftruncate.c that I have to compile and link in so I will look at your source to see if I can recreate my own.

Also I commented out have HAVE_PWD_H but the source calls getpwnam anyway.

It looks like I have a lot of unistd.h related things to do.

My problems seem like they have obvious answers.
Just tell me what you think about my errors since you know the dosbox source so well.

Thanks.
crazyc

Re: Dosbox Port to the Wii

Post by crazyc »

vader347 wrote:It seems that I need to create a ftruncate.c that I have to compile and link in so I will look at your source to see if I can recreate my own.
My ftruncate isn't really going to help unless the wii libc already has truncate which along with rmdir is machine specific.. Commenting out HAVE_PWD_H in config.h is all I did to prevent the call to getpwnam. All you need for access is a stub which returns 0.
vader347

Dosbox Port to wii

Post by vader347 »

OK i guess I can fix the access error right away.
I think there was a bug with the directives so I just commented out that secion of dos_programs.cpp.

Now I only have dirname, rmdir, ftruncate.
I guess I am going to have to see what devkitPPC is missing.