dosbox, now with 100% less drama

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

olesolo

Post by olesolo »

Civilization 1 you can try to run on SNES, Amiga or Macintosh emulators.
hokk

Post by hokk »

A risk of a bit OT now.

Civilization 1 running on:

Macintosh: No good emulator
SNES: Strange version don't like it
ATARI: Impossible to find the game
AMIGA: Good version but I haven't managed to make it run well yet

It is just so frustrating because Dosbox has the potential to run the game and it does it very good for 4 minutes, then some bug freezes the psp. But fixing the problem maybe isn't that easy..
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

Is there a way to have dosbox start with the mapped keys instead of pressing ltrigger + rtrigger + select + down every time I start up dosbox?
Wally

Post by Wally »

andwhyisit wrote:Is there a way to have dosbox start with the mapped keys instead of pressing ltrigger + rtrigger + select + down every time I start up dosbox?
put it in the autoconf section of the dosbox.conf file.

Wally
random1739

Post by random1739 »

Does the latest (Jan 30) version only work on PSP phat?
Wally

Post by Wally »

random1739 wrote:Does the latest (Jan 30) version only work on PSP phat?
Do you people ever try things before you ask?

Wally
Dark Chazz

Post by Dark Chazz »

I have w3.1 installed in an iso w/ win32s and win32 apps work fine in pc dosbox but on psp dosbox it says (win32s needs windows to be run with virtual memory enabled).

I'm using this:
imgmount c ms0:\w31.iso -t iso
c:
cd windows
win
help anyone ?
random1739

Post by random1739 »

Wally4000 wrote:
random1739 wrote:Does the latest (Jan 30) version only work on PSP phat?
Do you people ever try things before you ask?

Wally
You could have at least answered the question before the abuse.

Besides, its still easier to type 1 short sentence here than spend 5-10mins transferring files to test on my Slim :P

EDIT - The link to l00ks good config file is down. Anyone have another link? The old one used to be at: www.deardenboys.co.uk/dosbox.conf
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

So you'd rather wait hours hoping for an answer to a stupid question than to take a couple minutes to test it yourself? I guess you haven't been here very long... we don't tend to answer stupid questions except with abuse. This is a board for developers, not users. As such, stupid questions are answered with everything from silence (the best you can hope for) to abuse to stupid answers.
random1739

Post by random1739 »

Right. Latest version works on slim, but has less memsize set by default (10 vs 20mb). When I set the memsize any higher however, the PSP crashes. I'm assuming its not possible to set higher on the Jan version then

I'm hoping to run Axis and Allies Iron Blitz (requires 16mb ram), so I'll give that a go on the dedicated slim version, since I've set that to memsize 40 with no crashes so far.

I do have two qustions however:

1. Can I increase the cycles mid-game? Is there a pre-programmed key equivalent for Ctrl+F12?

2. Can I program multi key presses into 1 key? (E.g. Ctrl+Q = ltrigger). Some older games require this for qutting.

If they are 'noobish' could someone please direct me to a guide or something

Thanks
Dark Chazz

Post by Dark Chazz »

anyway I can get some free space in an iso?
Drajwer

Post by Drajwer »

Does someone mind adding build-in SIO keyboard driver for dosbox? I dont like pSprint too much... And keyboard will cool in windows.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Dark Chazz wrote:anyway I can get some free space in an iso?
Again this is not a help forum, google is your friend.

Wally
olesolo

Post by olesolo »

random1739 wrote:Right. Latest version works on slim, but has less memsize set by default (10 vs 20mb). When I set the memsize any higher however, the PSP crashes. I'm assuming its not possible to set higher on the Jan version then

I'm hoping to run Axis and Allies Iron Blitz (requires 16mb ram), so I'll give that a go on the dedicated slim version, since I've set that to memsize 40 with no crashes so far.
Memsize parameter doesn`t works in Jan version. It`s just ignored.
Try to set 40 in Jan version and you`ll see no improvments.
andrewwan1980

Post by andrewwan1980 »

JoblessPunk wrote:Hey,
I'm trying to get Carmageddon to work on the PSP.
<snip><snip>
I noticed some people have requested for oldskool 3D DOS games to be more playable under DOSBoxPSP (eg. Carmageddon). I even youtube.com & found many videos demonstrating games running under DOSBoxPSP but commented how slow it was (eg. Fallout).

Behold! What you should do first is scan through this list of PS1 games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pl ... on_1_games

Many oldskool DOS games were also released on PS1 too! And with popstation you can convert PS1 games to run on PSP.

MS-DOS games like Theme Park, C&C, Syndicate Wars, Carmageddon, G-Police, Actua Soccer, Alone In The Dark 2/4, Moto Racer, Another World, Flash Back, Fade to Black, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom1/F Descent, Forsaken, GTA, Hi-Octane, Magic Carpet, NASCAR, and many more.... are also on PS1!!! (and you should know how to get them ... hint hint - PM me if you are a total noobie). You don't have to buy the games, just borrow from the main library or a friend...

I was surprised at how many DOS games were also released on PS1. So this should help lift a whole load of work off DOSBoxPSP developers (crazyc)... from doing the impoosible... and let them concentrate on super oldskool 2D DOSgames like Commander Keen, etc. or Blood Money
Last edited by andrewwan1980 on Wed May 28, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wally

Post by Wally »

andrewwan1980 wrote:
JoblessPunk wrote:Hey,
I'm trying to get Carmageddon to work on the PSP.
<snip><snip>
I noticed some people have requested for oldskool 3D DOS games to be more playable under DOSBoxPSP (eg. Carmageddon). I even youtube.com & found many videos demonstrating games running under DOSBoxPSP but commented how slow it was (eg. Fallout).

Behold! What you should do first is scan through this list of PS1 games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pl ... on_1_games

Many oldskool DOS games were also released on PS1 too! And with popstation you can convert PS1 games to run on PSP.

MS-DOS games like Theme Park, C&C, Syndicate Wars, Carmageddon, G-Police, Actua Soccer, Alone In The Dark 2/4, Moto Racer, Another World, Flash Back, Fade to Black, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom1/F Descent, Forsaken, GTA, Hi-Octane, Magic Carpet, NASCAR, and many more.... are also on PS1!!! (and you should know how to get them ... hint hint)

I was surprised at how many DOS games were also released on PS1. So this should help lift a whole load of work off DOSBoxPSP developers (crazyc)... from doing the impoosible... and let them concentrate on super oldskool 2D DOSgames like Commander Keen, etc. or Blood Money
Thats exactly right people! Best post in a while. Although they might be a tad larger however and not quite legal unless you rip yourself.

Wally
olesolo

Post by olesolo »

andrewwan1980
you right.
theme hospital is amazing on PSX :)

Is it possible to use PSP GPU for DosBox?
And could it improve a speed?
doobers

dosbox keyboard.

Post by doobers »

Hello!
I found this old TSR DOS program which emulates an ASCII keyboard on the psp screen, all the buttons are there ! ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdo ... kmouse.zip maybe you can find it useful, i use this with tab auto complete and i can traverse directories easily, but it does not work with windows or games.
tnx to crazyc for letting me have my old BBS in my pocket... saludos :)
andrewwan1980

Post by andrewwan1980 »

olesolo wrote:andrewwan1980
you right.
theme hospital is amazing on PSX :)

Is it possible to use PSP GPU for DosBox?
And could it improve a speed?
crazyc could atleast put a note at the top (1st posting) about the running expectations/performance from current DOSBox-PSP, just to prevent people going on about how slow Carmageddon is, etc.... and it would be useful to post the 'List of PSX games' in the first post and tell everyone to check for existence of the game in PSX format.
bulldog

INPUTMAP questions

Post by bulldog »

Hey everyone, I am trying to get HDM 5.04 - Hard Disk Menu to work for launching all my dos games on the PSP. I have it setup so the menu functions on the PSP using this in my HDM.BAT file:
INPUTMAP up up
INPUTMAP right right
INPUTMAP down down
INPUTMAP left left
INPUTMAP ltrigger esc
INPUTMAP rtrigger F3
INPUTMAP cross enter
INPUTMAP triangle pgup
INPUTMAP circle pgdown
INPUTMAP EXEC HDM4DOS %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
if ErrorLevel 9 %X% -R
if ErrorLevel 7 X -R
echo Error running HDM for DOS!

Then I setup menu entries for each game. I have the menu run a custom batch file for the specific game so I can reset the INPUTMAP settings. The problem is that I can't get it to run the batch file. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this? I don't like the DN shell.

Also, I installed PortableApps to my PSP memory card and added dosbox to that and now I can run it when I connect to my PC via USB. I just have both versions of dosbox mount the same folder on my memory card. Cool?
--Bulldog
"I appear here and there, now and then, to this one and that one. A benign but mischievous creature. Very fond of rumpots, crackpots, and how are you, Mr. Wilson?"
bulldog

HDM Hard Drive Menu

Post by bulldog »

I was able to work around the problem. Apparently, the menu program does not like the way I am loading it with INPUTMAP EXEC. It works to run the menu program, but gets errors when the menu launches another program. The workaround was to have the menu exit and automate typing the command to run a batch file. I will be writing a HOWTO on all of this soon, I will post a reply with a link to it once I have it done.

If anyone has more info on the INPUTMAP command (syntax, values, etc.) please post a reply. Here is some info that I have put together on it.

SYNTAX: INPUTMAP [PSP BUTTON VALUE] [KEY VALUE]
PSP BUTTON_____VALUE_____KEY NAME________VALUE
dpad up_________up________up arrow_________up
dpad down______down______down arrow_______down
dpad left________left________left arrow________left
dpad right_______right_______right arrow_______right
square__________square_____left-ctrl__________lctrl
cross___________cross______left-alt___________lalt
triangle_________triangle____enter____________enter
square__________square_____space___________space
left trigger_______ltrigger_____F5______________f5
right trigger______rtrigger_____escape_________esc
select___________select______Page Up_________pgup
start ____________start______Page Down_______pgdown
--Bulldog
"I appear here and there, now and then, to this one and that one. A benign but mischievous creature. Very fond of rumpots, crackpots, and how are you, Mr. Wilson?"
bulldog

CDROM driver for psp DOSBox?

Post by bulldog »

Hey, I am trying to get Kyrandia 1 & 2 (cdrom versions) to work on my PSP. I have them working on my PC with full sound (including the digital speech, YAY!). When I use the same files on my psp dosbox I get an error loading the game saying that I need a CDROM driver (MSCDEX). Apparently that driver is built into the PC version of dosbox. I can't find any reference to it for the psp version of dosbox. I only see documentation on the config statement for it. Has anyone else run into this problem or know a solution?
--Bulldog
olesolo

Re: CDROM driver for psp DOSBox?

Post by olesolo »

bulldog wrote:Hey, I am trying to get Kyrandia 1 & 2 (cdrom versions) to work on my PSP. I have them working on my PC with full sound (including the digital speech, YAY!). When I use the same files on my psp dosbox I get an error loading the game saying that I need a CDROM driver (MSCDEX). Apparently that driver is built into the PC version of dosbox. I can't find any reference to it for the psp version of dosbox. I only see documentation on the config statement for it. Has anyone else run into this problem or know a solution?
use ScummVM PSP port to run Kyrandia 1-3
:)
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

I've made some changes to the recompiler that improve performance by about 10%. I'm still tracking down bugs that cause some protected mode apps, including windows, to fail so I'll post a patch when I fix them. For now I've put up a new binary for people to play with.
Dark Chazz

Post by Dark Chazz »

cool !!

I thought you'll never work on this anymore.
olesolo

Post by olesolo »

excellent.
waiting for a download link.
Wally

Post by Wally »

olesolo wrote:excellent.
waiting for a download link.
Check first page..

Wally

P.S crazyc I'm having problems running dosshell, it errors out.. I'll let ya know later what it is.
Dark Chazz

Post by Dark Chazz »

me too , even windows doesn't run as he said.
gelon

Post by gelon »

wow!, alone works better and its very playable atm

but i have one problem, when i use the directional keys (<-,->, etc) i have to push the key to times to get it works, if i press it one time the character doesnt move (i use up+X shortcut of course)

many thanks crazyc!
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

That's by design. If you want to have to only push it once, use input mapping,