PSP Video conversion under linux

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

THX1139

PSP Video conversion under linux

Post by THX1139 »

Hi,
I've made some changes to the latest CVS version of ffmpeg, which allows generation of MP4's that playback on the Sony PSP. In theory they should also work on the Clie. It should be completly platform independant, and so should work on anything the ffmpeg runs on (I have x86_64 linux).

Is anyone here interested? Is it appropriate to post source code diff's here to programs like ffmpeg?
Ihsan

Post by Ihsan »

Of course I'm interested, and I hope all users of free software too. I'm tired of using 3GPConv (an excelent tool, but just for one system/platform).
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

As long as its legal and somewhat related to the site you can post all the code and diffs you want. Sometimes even when its not related... we get so little code from so many people that every little bit is cherished. :)
THX1139

Post by THX1139 »

I'll re-direct your attention to the the ffmpeg development mailing list, where I have posted the patch to the file.

It should be straight forward to anyone who has built ffmpeg from CVS before.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... um_id=1506

Any problems, questions, or success stories, please post them here.
djboa

Post by djboa »

THX1139 wrote: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... um_id=1506

Any problems, questions, or success stories, please post them here.
the patch in the archive has broken lines and I am having difficulty reformatting it correctly... can you point me to a place where I can download a working patch file?

regards
bo v
djboa

Post by djboa »

oops, figured it out ... but still a heads up ... taking the patch from the sourceforge archive won't work directly ...
djboa

Post by djboa »

ok, I wanted to compile a windows binary, but i'm running into problems with the faac module ...

can somebody compile a useable version (with patch, faac and xvid) for windows?

I would be happy to test anything with regards to playability on the clie ux50.
DigitalFoundry

Re: PSP Video conversion under linux

Post by DigitalFoundry »

THX1139 wrote:Hi,
I've made some changes to the latest CVS version of ffmpeg, which allows generation of MP4's that playback on the Sony PSP. In theory they should also work on the Clie. It should be completly platform independant, and so should work on anything the ffmpeg runs on (I have x86_64 linux).

Is anyone here interested? Is it appropriate to post source code diff's here to programs like ffmpeg?
I'm really disappointed with the performance of ffmeg on the PSP videos I have created. Comparing the video side by side with a Nero Recode video (even limited to ASP) of the same file size, the Nero video looks so much better. However, a straight Nero MP4 does not run on PSP.

Is there any chance of a program that could make the relevant alterations to an ASP/AVC MP4 to make it run on the PSP? It would be nice to be able to use our choice of MP4 encoders when creating video for PSP but at the moment we're stuck with 3GP Converter and Sony's horrible Image Converter...
djboa

Post by djboa »

ok finally got ffmpeg compiled under mingw/msys ...

I can confirm that ffmpeg after your patch makes playable videos for Clie pdas ... unfortunately any resolution but 320x240 results in broken video both in quicktime and on clie.

since 3gp_converter can make 480x320 videos that play on the clie I know it is possible, but I can't follow your code well enough to fix it myself ...

can you give me a pointer to where I should focus my energy? linenumber/functions/?

regards