need some help, at rock bottom

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

M.r Lemony Fresh

need some help, at rock bottom

Post by M.r Lemony Fresh »

hi, I'm not a programmer I'm a gfx artist so i don't have the freedom of choice when it comes to getting games working with psp, and the way i figure I've got 6 options.

1- use a already ported engine like quake or quake 2, but i'm really not happy with the results, 256 colors+limited palette, and REALLY low poly maps and models, and i can't think of any other engines which are near or as easy to make mods with

2- ask a psp programmer to help, well i can't find a programmer who's either not busy, not interested, or not capable of much. most of the time, they're too busy. and only now, I've come up with the makings of a decent plot with characters and stuff.

3- spend years google-ing possibilities until psps have been removed from stock and are no longer sold locally.

4-use one of these simple lua code game makers, which don't let me unleash my imagination.

5- become a coder, a friend (who's a Q2 coder) told me that all i needed to programme are math skills and a keen eye for spelling mistakes and patients...... ummm.... yer that sounds like someone who's not me, and it's a pity that this particular coder prefers to stick to q2 and also does not own a psp, and doesn't like them.

6-whoops, my last option, ask, plead and beg for any way, any possible option, any shining glimmer of hope to send my on my way to making homebrew worth playing.

these are the specs i would like to have for my game if possible,

now heres what i need,
it's gotta be 3d
it has to be a decent poly count, not too fussy though
it's gotta be psp max resolution
it's gotta be 32 bit
it's gotta have basic physics/lighting
it has to be able to contain a deep story
it has to let me use my photoshop/ 3ds max/ adobe audition skills
and most of all the finishing result has to be fun

mabye it's too much to ask? but for me it's just not worth making a game unless what i've worked for shows in the end.
M.r Lemony Fresh

i think there was a misunderstanding in the things i wanted to have for my game, I'm not expecting someone to do all the work for me, i just need a way to be able to support these things.
Kuroikaze

Post by Kuroikaze »

Honestly?

Learn to code for the PSP. It's not the difficult.

You say you're a graphic artist, and say you like working in 3D, so you've obviously got the math skill and patience enough to do it.

You could probably code a decent engine in 6 months if you stick to it.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

If you've ever used irrlicht on the PC, you should find it pretty simple to use it on the PSP. The folks who ported irrlicht to the PSP just called it LTE Game Engine. It's pretty fast as their demo shows, and looks rather nice as it's not using 256 color textures (unless you want to, of course).

http://www.ltestudios.com/
M.r Lemony Fresh

Honestly?

Learn to code for the PSP. It's not the difficult.

You say you're a graphic artist, and say you like working in 3D, so you've obviously got the math skill and patience enough to do it.

You could probably code a decent engine in 6 months if you stick to it.

if you basing this on what i've said apart from when i pretty much said i was bad at maths, then maybe? but no, i hate to admit it but if had to use maths all the time to survive, I'd be long dead.
Simon the programmer; i just can't see it happening, unless someone dumbed it down and worked through it with me.
If you've ever used irrlicht on the PC, you should find it pretty simple to use it on the PSP. The folks who ported irrlicht to the PSP just called it LTE Game Engine. It's pretty fast as their demo shows, and looks rather nice as it's not using 256 color textures (unless you want to, of course).
i have had a look at this before, it's kinda iffy to me, I'm not sure how much coding it requires but since this idea is plausible i will humor you by giving it my best shot.

thanks in advance, i hope.