Begin with PSP development.

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

dospro

Begin with PSP development.

Post by dospro »

Hi. It's been long since i first came to this forum asking for help. :D
Anyway. Hi to everybody.

I want to develop homebrew for my PSP. I have made a SUPER search and i found quite useful information. Actually i have already gotten my own dev enviroment for PSP. I have even compiled the famous "hello world" succesfully. Yea, everythings seems to work really great.
Now that i have the base system, PLENTY of C and C++ knowledge i would like to start doing real things. The thing that stops me and that's why i came here is info about the API used to program for the PSP.
I found LOTs of tutorials that explain hoe to create REALLY simply programs, how to set up you enviroment, etc, but can't find a guide for "what can be done to your psp".
For example, on Dreamcast there are plenty of options, you can use low level KOS drivers to do whatever you want, or you can use SDL as a high level API to interact, etc.
I want to know my "tools" for developing for PSP. How many libraries, APIs, etc are. What's best, where can i find some real info about them.
I hope someone can give me at least some clues to what do i have to search for.

Thanks...
snow

Post by snow »

Give us some insight as to what you'd like to do so we don't wax on about libraries you have no need for. I think the source code is pretty well documented and the examples provided with the SDK give you a good start in all areas. If you narrow down the scope of your question I think we could give you the information you're looking for.
dospro

Post by dospro »

Hi. Thanks for answering.

My aim is really wide. but to have something to start, why don't you talk my about graphics libraries. And the capabilities of the PSPSDK about that.

Let's suppose i want to make a "normal" game(like a plataform 2D game, or even a Tetris, PAcman,e etc).
What are my best choices?

THanks
dospro

Post by dospro »

Wow. THanks. Quite useful.
Now, that i have checked the links i've got more questions.
First. What version of opengl is implemented on pspgl? And how trusty is it?
The same questions go for SDL.

Thanks for your help
danzel

Post by danzel »

SDL looks to be 1.2.7
http://svn.ps2dev.org/filedetails.php?r ... rev=0&sc=0

pspgl is complete enough for most uses.
Check the original (now outdated) site and readme:
http://www.goop.org/psp/gl/
http://svn.ps2dev.org/filedetails.php?r ... rev=0&sc=0

I use them (both together and separately) for my various game and apps, no problems.
bulb

Post by bulb »

pspgl does not include complete OpenGL API, it mainly focuses on OpenGL/ES (with extensions) subset of OpenGL and excludes esoteric stuff of OpenGL API. I recommend reading documentation carefully to find out the differences between each version.

The port of SDL is really great, by peeking at the source code I must say that the porters have done a great job. Again, read the README to find out the implementation details for PSP.

Also, check out the samples that come with PSP SDK, they contain exactly what you have been looking for: "what can be done to your psp".
dospro

Post by dospro »

Thank you very very much.
Exactly what i needed. So, let's start with it.