prx module (plugin) parental time limit

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

dmitry

prx module (plugin) parental time limit

Post by dmitry »

Hi, All!

I suppose my ask for advice may look a little bit strange, but anyway: did anybody hear anything about prx module with time limiting functions? e.g. my son is allowed to play only one hour a day, but he could choose when he wants to play. I couldn't find anything like this and have started to develop it by myself :) not very succefully to be honest...
I thought it could just make PSP sleep when the son played an hour a day summary (only GAME and GAME150 not in menu :)
And here is my questions:

1. is there any existing plugins with similar functionality and with sources?
2. if none, could anybody help me with at least plugin frame which can make PSP sleep?

I have had some programming expirience but it was so long time ago:)

Thank for answers!

P.S. fat PSP with cfw 3.71m33-3
Art

Post by Art »

I sure hope there's no such program.

If the kid has had reason to create a GAME150 folder he/she would probably
be able to defeat it unless you spend more than an hour a day writing it and set bad example.

Having said that, if you install the PSP toolchain you'll have what you need in samples directory.
If not actually, then potentially.
dmitry

Post by dmitry »

Art wrote:I sure hope there's no such program.

If the kid has had reason to create a GAME150 folder he/she would probably
[skipped]
Having said that, if you install the PSP toolchain you'll have what you need in samples directory.
Actually, the kid doesn't even know about directories on PSP :) GAME150 was made by me (custom firmware). But he knows how to run games excellent! :)

Yes, I've tried to install toolchain but encountred some problems while installing.

Do I understand correctly that I would need to build prx, then install it as a GAME, GAME150 plugin (all except VSH), enable them and that's all?
Could I use the same code as GAME and GAME150 plugins?

Thanks anyway!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Sony will have to add something like that to the firmware if they want to sell the PSP in Vietnam - one of their "Nanny Laws" says that all games, arcades, and electronic doodads must have a built in automatic way of locking the user out after a maximum of five hours.
moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Mmm, you may just create two plugins, one for vsh and other for game.

The one for game updates the time variable and saves it to a file at certain periods, after the hour, it shutdowns the psp or something like that.

If the bad son tries to power on the psp again, the vsh plugin would just check the file too and shut it down again.
Cpasjuste

Post by Cpasjuste »

Hum, this idea is cool, i think i could maybe add a function like this to my custom firmware extender.
Cpasjuste

Post by Cpasjuste »

It will be easy to write this plugin, the ony problem i see is the restriction could be easly prevented by removing the "game.txt" file in the seplugin folder or the plugin configuration file (this one could be writed to flash1).
Art

Post by Art »

The config file would have to be encrypted with the time & date or something to prevent saving it at ten minutes, and keep re using that file.
That's where it gets to spending more time on it than an hour.
If not actually, then potentially.
Cpasjuste

Post by Cpasjuste »

What the point to encrypt a config file while the game.txt seplugin file can be deleted to disable the plugin ?
I have think about this a little and i think, for me, the best and easier thing to do is hook the usb function, if a button combination is pressed while activating usb, then load usb as normal, else return. This would secure as possible the thing (except loading the recovery menu while booting..) like an user mode access to the vsh :)

I think i will write something this week end, it's a fun project :)
dmitry

Post by dmitry »

Cpasjuste wrote:
I'm glad to hear that you like this idea :) I will also try to code this, but I am sure you will do it faster :) Anyway I am ready to be a beta-tester. If you would then open your sources i will be very grateful. Thanks!

added: and may be it's better to do it in separate plugin?

added a bit later: securing usb access while activating is not very necessary, I suppose.. because if he knew about plugins and vsh.txt he would definitely know about recovery menu, don't you think so? You can just make the file hidden - it would be enough for a little kid ;)

One more idea is to show from time to time while playing a time left to play. Or show it in last 5 minutes.

One more idea is to set a maximum playable time in file on MS for not to make too hard to add time for a kid to play.

One more idea is the next: If the PSP would power off or sleep from VSH then how could you add time (activate usb to edit file) except recovery menu which is not very convenient to run every time? May be it's better just not to allow to run games if the time is over?

Is it possible to use internal parental control system? For example, you can run games (edit settings?) if you know the password ... (just a thoughts aloud ;)
dmitry

Post by dmitry »

Cpasjuste wrote:
And one more idea from the author this idea ;) - it would be useful to show the time left to play today in the XMB.
Cpasjuste

Post by Cpasjuste »

I tought you wanted to only restrict games but not the access to the vsh. I am right ?

I have writed something today. There is just one plugin for game, one file on the ms with the allowed time to play in minuts. If the plugin counter reach the time in this file, the psp will reboot to the vsh. If a game (umd, homebrew...) is launched again, the psp will reboot as soon as the game start.

I'm now writing this function : if "R" button is pressed while a game is launched, a crappy menu appear and ask for a 4 digit code to disable the plugin.
dmitry

Post by dmitry »

Cpasjuste wrote:I tought you wanted to only restrict games but not the access to the vsh. I am right ?
Absolutely!
Cpasjuste wrote:I have writed something today. There is just one plugin for game, one file on the ms with the allowed time to play in minuts. If the plugin counter reach the time in this file, the psp will reboot to the vsh. If a game (umd, homebrew...) is launched again, the psp will reboot as soon as the game start.
Nice! can I test it? Are there any notifications before rebooting to vsh for son to save his game? And why exactly reboot? Why not sleep or just exit game? E.g. when the time is over psp just exits to xmb, and when the kid is trying to run game again it just couldn't start?
Cpasjuste wrote:I'm now writing this function : if "R" button is pressed while a game is launched, a crappy menu appear and ask for a 4 digit code to disable the plugin.
cool function! :) is it possible to use the same digit code as set in firmware parental control?

I am looking forward to test it!
dmitry

Post by dmitry »

Cpasjuste wrote: I'm now writing this function : if "R" button is pressed while a game is launched, a crappy menu appear and ask for a 4 digit code to disable the plugin.
About this menu: I suppose it would be useful if the user (father :) can add time to kid to play from this menu, disable plugin for this only time game started or disable game exiting after time left at all. What do you think about it?
BrickRisk

Adult Big Brother.Prx

Post by BrickRisk »

The prx has to be written to flash otherwise all you have to do to defeat it is pull the memory stick and start the psp, then the prx will never load. Put the ms back in then done...
Cpasjuste

Post by Cpasjuste »

Not false :)
dmitry

Re: Adult Big Brother.Prx

Post by dmitry »

BrickRisk wrote:The prx has to be written to flash otherwise all you have to do to defeat it is pull the memory stick and start the psp, then the prx will never load. Put the ms back in then done...
yep... But I think for the most children it would be enough ...
I am currently trying to remember my old programming skills :)

Dear Cpasjuste,

can I try your plugin?