Development on PSP slim and newest firmware

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

dukeraoul

Development on PSP slim and newest firmware

Post by dukeraoul »

Hi,

I'm very new to psp and plan to buy one very soon, in particular for developing purpose (I want to port an opengl game I made on PC using PSPGL). As I could see on others forums, psp slim has already been downgraded but the authors don't want to release their work yet. So it's a matter of time and I would like to know if someone could tell me what restrictions (if there are) the psp slim will have compared to its sister.
I eared that the lowest custom firmware would be a 3.6 for the slim, does it show any limitation for developing with the PSPSDK?? (Is this kit compatible with any firmware version?)
Thanks for replying, I need to know if i have to buy the older or not.
mplacona

Post by mplacona »

That's where you are wrong. It hasn't been downgraded. They just managed to dump the nand.

A downgrade is still to come, but you'll have to wait for a bit.

Cheers
dukeraoul

Post by dukeraoul »

I guess not. Look at maxconsole forum, mathieu said he managed to downgrade Slim PSP with Alex but both of them don't want to release their work maybe due to some disrespect by a lot of members on the forum. The only thing I wanted to know is if the PSPSDK was specific of a firmware version
imhotep

Post by imhotep »

only 1.50 or a custom firmware (M33 /DAX etc) can be used for developing with the pspsdk
see also psplink by tyranid.

so, get yourself an old one (and downgrade) or wait patiently.
dukeraoul

Post by dukeraoul »

Thanks for the reply.
That's strange that the sdk only works with specific version of the firmware.. I don't understand very well this point.. so I'm going to read more docs on it.
By the way it's not a good news as it is sure the new psp won't be able to be downgraded up to 1.5.. the lowest firmware will be a custom 3.6.
dukeraoul

Post by dukeraoul »

oh I'm not sure having understood correctly what u said. In fact you meant that homebrew only works with 1.5 'official' but can work with any other custom firmware.. that's it?
So If a new custom firmware appers on the new PSP even if it is a 3.6, PSPSDK will work?
Sorry if it's a bit confusing in my head I'm pretty new to psp and want to make sure I will be able to develop my own homebrews on it.
weltall

Post by weltall »

yes it will work. you just need a way to execute unsigned code. (maybe with some modifications if you use exotic ways to load your code eg: a tiff exploit...)
hlide

Post by hlide »

weltall wrote:yes it will work. you just need a way to execute unsigned code. (maybe with some modifications if you use exotic ways to load your code eg: a tiff exploit...)
no need of a tiff exploit (too hazardous by the way). With an adapted Pandora ms for psp slim, it would be possible to run unsigned code. It is just a matter of time now.
weltall

Post by weltall »

sure it was just an example :)
dukeraoul

Post by dukeraoul »

oki thank you, that's clear now for me.. and I'm going to buy my first PSP :)
hlide

Post by hlide »

dukeraoul wrote:oki thank you, that's clear now for me.. and I'm going to buy my first PSP :)
i would wait for at least two weeks until confirmation :).
dukeraoul

Post by dukeraoul »

yep that's safer ;)
hlide

Post by hlide »

there is an announcement for a 3.60-M33 ;) it looks as if you won't wait for long.