dosbox

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

MK2k

Post by MK2k »

Alone in the Dark is not supported by the 0.60 Dosbox version, see: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list ... 9&letter=A

It is recommended to look up the compatibility ( http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php ) list (check version 0.60) first before complaining here, or even test on PC dosbox 0.60 as crazyc said.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

I've posted a new version that fixes Alone in the Dark. If anyone cares this patch is the fix. I also added some other random patches from dosbox cvs I have no idea which games they fix.
valerija

Post by valerija »

crazyc wrote:I've posted a new version that fixes Alone in the Dark. If anyone cares this patch is the fix. I also added some other random patches from dosbox cvs I have no idea which games they fix.
Thx for the patches. Sorry for minimum of my knowledge but would you be so kind and tell me how to apply them. Eventhough working with dosbox, and playing games, i never understanded how to install and apply the patch. Thank you in advance.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

valerija wrote: Thx for the patches. Sorry for minimum of my knowledge but would you be so kind and tell me how to apply them. Eventhough working with dosbox, and playing games, i never understanded how to install and apply the patch. Thank you in advance.
Rest assured, every new patch is accompanied by a new executable. Just look near the top of the first page to find the link.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Yes theme park works in the PC version of dosbox.

Could you explain the mouse mapping stuff. Maybe im missing something.
valerija

Post by valerija »

crazyc wrote:
valerija wrote: Thx for the patches. Sorry for minimum of my knowledge but would you be so kind and tell me how to apply them. Eventhough working with dosbox, and playing games, i never understanded how to install and apply the patch. Thank you in advance.
Rest assured, every new patch is accompanied by a new executable. Just look near the top of the first page to find the link.
Yes, i downloaded the patch (dosbox.patch - zip file). Now i tried to open it on my desktop before implementing on my psp, but it reports error. I tried to rename it and put it in dosbox_psp folder on my psp - does not work either. How to make it work, start it, in which folder to put it on psp with what program to unpack it. I m feeling stupid to ask something what you solved year ago, but i cannot find instructions to patch psp dosbox anywhere on the net, so i decided to ask the source. Thank you for patience an looking forward to your answer.
In the meatime, i have tested Mean streets - Tex Murphy and it finally works but commands are less playable. Also played Pepper's Adventures in Time (Sierra adventures), and it works PERFECT. Tried to start Darkseed 2 - not working.
MK2k

Post by MK2k »

valerija: the patch patches the sources not the executable of dosbox. Darkseed 2 is a windows game, not dos.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Wally4000 wrote:Yes theme park works in the PC version of dosbox.

Could you explain the mouse mapping stuff. Maybe im missing something.
I just downloaded the theme park demo and the mouse seems to work fine. By default the stick is in mouse mode so if you don't do anything it should just work. You may also want to replace dos4gw.exe with dos32a.exe according the instructions at http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/inde ... age=dos32a.
valerija

Post by valerija »

MK2k wrote:valerija: the patch patches the sources not the executable of dosbox. Darkseed 2 is a windows game, not dos.
Yes i saw the message that is windows files - for Dark Seed 2
What do you mean to say, i dont need patch for anything? Does apllying patch have influence at gameplay at all? What sources do you mean, and how to patch them? Do I need the patch after all? Can you walk me trough it step by step, i feel like idiot. Thx, sorry for being overcurious. Am i the only one that does not understand this?

Im playing most of the sierra/dynamix early 90ies games and they are working near perfection. Think that Dark Alex and CrazyC deserved oscar,nobelpreis,pulitzer,goldenglobe,silverlion and mtv award for their work
Bluddy

reconsidering 0.70?

Post by Bluddy »

crazyc, dosbox 0.70 seems to have some heavy optimizations speed-wise that might make further optimization of the psp version unnecessary. Isn't it possibly worthwhile to work on that and try reduce the memory footprint, rather than optimizing a slower version of dosbox?
crazyc

Re: reconsidering 0.70?

Post by crazyc »

Bluddy wrote:crazyc, dosbox 0.70 seems to have some heavy optimizations speed-wise that might make further optimization of the psp version unnecessary.
Only if you are on x86 (and thus can use the recompiler) is 0.70 substantially faster.
Isn't it possibly worthwhile to work on that and try reduce the memory footprint, rather than optimizing a slower version of dosbox?
The large memory usage is vital to the paging emulation and not something that can be easily reduced. There are ways but they would come with a performance hit and would never be faster then the way I'm currently handling ram emulation.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Given the very limited amount of memory on the PSP, it would probably be better to redo the CPU core in pure assembly. A recompiling core would take too much ram, so your best bet is to make the interpretive core as small and optimal as possible. Hence, an assembly core. I did an x86 emulation in assembly on the Amiga and PowerMac... it's a lot of work. I may do one on the PSP, but that's further down my todo list.
l00k

Post by l00k »

MK2k wrote:Alone in the Dark is not supported by the 0.60 Dosbox version, see: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list ... 9&letter=A

It is recommended to look up the compatibility ( http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php ) list (check version 0.60) first before complaining here, or even test on PC dosbox 0.60 as crazyc said.
OH WHAT A DAMN SHAME!
crazyc wrote:I've posted a new version that fixes Alone in the Dark. If anyone cares this patch is the fix. I also added some other random patches from dosbox cvs I have no idea which games they fix.
HURRAY!

;)
Weaver1497

Post by Weaver1497 »

I've damn near completed Quest For Glory 1 VGA. It is absolutely a dream come true to play this thing on the go, and the sound doesn't seem to be skipping as bad as previous releases.

CrazyC, how is the optimizing going? An update on how things are looking?
Hope all is well. Alone in the Dark is working great, which is cool.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Weaver1497 wrote:I've damn near completed Quest For Glory 1 VGA. It is absolutely a dream come true to play this thing on the go, and the sound doesn't seem to be skipping as bad as previous releases.

CrazyC, how is the optimizing going? An update on how things are looking?
Hope all is well. Alone in the Dark is working great, which is cool.
I've been spending what time I have to work on this trying to get Windows 3.1 working. I've made some progress but nothing release worthy. The work on this is also necessary to get apps which use borland's 16bit dos extender (anything that uses rtm.exe and dpmi16bi.ovl) working.
adtbm

Post by adtbm »

Hello CrazyC. I only can say THANK YOU !!!!

The DosBox is running cool. OK still enough issues to improve but what you have done throughout the last Year is just incredible.

I gave Ultima Underworld 2 a try and it works ! it's so cool

Thank you ! Thank you !! Thank you !!!

an unworthy user noob *Bow's his head*
Wiseman

Post by Wiseman »

Nice work CrazyC !

I've tried Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and it worked nicely! The only bad thing is that when you pass your turn it's taking a lot of time to process the other players actions. Besides that, totally playable if you have a some time to spare, and something else to do when you wait the turn pass ! xD

I don't think there's any way to make it faster, am I right ?! I mean, this is a game for Pentium pcs ! But just running is wonderful !!! ^__^

Might And Magic 1 and 2 also works, but it's a pain because it uses a lot of different keys!
l00k

virtual pool

Post by l00k »

just tried running virtual pool which starts up but the menu screen has a black rectangle right across the middle of the screen.

Any ideas?
Wally

Post by Wally »

Supaplex and some other game play up.

they just show vertical lines hence making it impossible to play.

Wally
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

l00k wrote:just tried running virtual pool which starts up but the menu screen has a black rectangle right across the middle of the screen.

Any ideas?
Not sure, but the pc version (0.60) does the same so there must be a fix in dosbox cvs somewhere.

This appears to use 360x240 video mode. Since the PSP graphics hardware doesn't like textures that aren't a multiple of 16 wide, supporting that mode will require more work.
l00k

Post by l00k »

crazyc wrote:
l00k wrote:just tried running virtual pool which starts up but the menu screen has a black rectangle right across the middle of the screen.

Any ideas?
Not sure, but the pc version (0.60) does the same so there must be a fix in dosbox cvs somewhere.

This appears to use 360x240 video mode. Since the PSP graphics hardware doesn't like textures that aren't a multiple of 16 wide, supporting that mode will require more work.
some french geeza says on his site that VP is compatible with 0.65
MK2k

Post by MK2k »

crazyc: just a question, but is it possible to get the psp dosbox port supporting the SUBST command which the 0.60 dosbox obviously doesn't have but later versions?
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

MK2k wrote:crazyc: just a question, but is it possible to get the psp dosbox port supporting the SUBST command which the 0.60 dosbox obviously doesn't have but later versions?
Should be doable. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I get to it though.
MK2k

Post by MK2k »

> Should be doable. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I get to it though.

Yeah, doesn't matter how long it would take, nice to hear tho :)
db82

Post by db82 »

Hi everyone. I followed the instructions here and downloaded my fav game, speedball 2 from here.

The game launched fine but the screen is all messed up. You can make out the correct colours and sound, but everything is jumbled.

Can anyone please help?
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

MK2k wrote: Yeah, doesn't matter how long it would take, nice to hear tho :)
I just posted a new binary with SUBST. It's only marginally tested but seems to work.
The game launched fine but the screen is all messed up. You can make out the correct colours and sound, but everything is jumbled.
The problem with this is the same as with supaplex above, the game uses a video mode the GU doesn't like. The new binary partially fixes it (screen isn't scrambled but cut in half instead), when I have a better fix I'll post a binary and patch.
futaris

Post by futaris »

Thanks for the patch. I guess you're compiling this under windows/cygwin, since the directory names are backslash ("\") and not slash ("/"). Can you please use forward-slash in the future to make patching under linux easier?
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

futaris wrote:Thanks for the patch. I guess you're compiling this under windows/cygwin, since the directory names are backslash ("") and not slash ("/"). Can you please use forward-slash in the future to make patching under linux easier?
Done. I've also posted a new binary to really fix the bad video mode problem. The clever solutions didn't seem to work well and were fragile so I just copy the whole frame to a GU-acceptable buffer. There'll be a performance hit but it will only affect those few games which use unusual video modes. Also, support for 640x480x16bit mode was added although I doubt that any games which use it will run well.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

The patch link on the first post isn't working any more. Is that because you're in the process of changing it to the latest? Or just a booboo? :)
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

J.F. wrote:The patch link on the first post isn't working any more. Is that because you're in the process of changing it to the latest? Or just a booboo? :)
The patch got so large that I'm gziping it now. I've fixed the link on the first page.