transplant USBHOST_FS to a embeded System,Does it possible?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

rzxiao

transplant USBHOST_FS to a embeded System,Does it possible?

Post by rzxiao »

hi,All, I have 3 quesitons:
1.There are some USB2.0 OTG harddisk devices which can transfer data between PSP and device without computer. Does it possible transplant USBHOST_FS to device firmware? If so, PSP can play game and watch movie using OTG device.

2.I look through the USBHOST_FS source code, find some MACRO like
#define HOSTFS_MAGIC 0x782F0812
#define ASYNC_MAGIC 0x782F0813
#define BULK_MAGIC 0x782F0814

Is it a standard protocol definition according some specifications? (what's it?) or only a user defined protocol?

3. what's protocol is used between USBHOST_FS and PSP (for example:Bulk-Only Transport, UFI etc)? Is there any document to describe it?

Thanks in advance.
Diddl

Post by Diddl »

OTG is a extension to usb v2 specification. it works like a mini host for devices, which are normally USB client only.

for example a PSP is normally a USB client to a PC or other host. with OTG it would be possible to load jpg files from a digital camera or using any USB harddisk.

this would be a very nice feature for PSP!!
Bytrix

Post by Bytrix »

There are hard drive enclosures which contain a USB host chip and a small screen, using which you can plug in a PSP and transfer files from the drive to memory stick (or USB card reader for example). The only ones I've seen look cheap and run on standard batteries though, so you'd end up spending a fortune on batteries.

As for running usbhostfs_pc on such a device.. no chance.
digihoe

Post by digihoe »

There are some hdd enclosures with WiFi running linux, that has been known to have NetHost FS ported to them, but they aren't really portable... But would be an OK soulotion in a car...

Best regards!
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

digihoe wrote:There are some hdd enclosures with WiFi running linux, that has been known to have NetHost FS ported to them, but they aren't really portable...
Like Asus WL-HDD and it really is a portable device
rzxiao

Post by rzxiao »

I'm a firmware developer of such hdd enclosure with OTG, which can copy file between HDD enclosure and PSP. But when I seen the usbhostfs_pc, I feel very interesting. so I think whether I can modify firmware of HDD enclosure and support PSP play game with HDD enclosure directly. It will be great! That's why I come here to ask 3 questions.

@Bytrx: would you please tell me why have "no chance" to port usbhostfs_pc to such platform? Is main chip not power enough or anything else?

@digihoe: you reminds me.I'm going to find such product to have a look. But I think,if such product is running linux, so maybe easy to port to them. The platform I'm working on have no os yet, so I don't know whether it's possible to do it. Whatever,thank you very much.
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

rzxiao wrote: But I think,if such product is running linux, so maybe easy to port to them.
I did firmware coding for the ASUS line. Should be pretty easy.