USB Driver

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

TeamOverload

USB Driver

Post by TeamOverload »

Alright, first off let me state I am a complete n00b when it comes to hardware so bare with me.

With the addition of the camera icon on 3.0 a new USB mode has been added. The computer can not automatically detect how to use it obviously, as it is intended for a camera. Is there a way to write a custom driver to support it? What type of access do you think we would have through it?

Is flashing via USB even possible? I remember reading somewhere that the USB camera could flash it's firmware, and the camera is connected via USB, but again I'm not sure.

Does anyone has a list of functions that can be used with the camera? Is it possible to send any commands via USB?

That's all the questions for now
adrahil

Re: USB Driver

Post by adrahil »

With the addition of the camera icon on 3.0 a new USB mode has been added. The computer can not automatically detect how to use it obviously, as it is intended for a camera. Is there a way to write a custom driver to support it?
Yes, there always is a way. The only thing is HOW? :) I'm no good at driver coding, but some people here could.
What type of access do you think we would have through it?
Well, normal USB access I suppose... You know, the devices connected to the PSP can all be interfaced from high to lower level thanks to the sceUsb* calls. In theory one can connect anything as long as one writes a coherent protocol.
Is flashing via USB even possible?
Depends what.... It is possible to flash the firmwares of devices like the usb camera, but the NAND flashing is yet unknown. I'd think it is possible to boot onto a USB-connected nand/memory with firmware as there is a mountpoint of "flashfatX" (used for flashX:, if I remember) called "Fat Over USB"... To see ;)

Anyway, I'm not sure about all of this, so don't take it as known...

== End of speculation and unsure part ==
I remember reading somewhere that the USB camera could flash it's firmware, and the camera is connected via USB, but again I'm not sure.
Yes, you have read it somewhere. I don't recommend doing that though, as I'm not sure whether the flashing of a new firmware is non-reversible. If you CAN find a working FW, or have a free repair guarantee, you could try to. Here's the call:
int sceUsbCam_C72ED6D3(int mode, void* fw_image, int fw_image_size);
(aliased as sceUsbCam_driver_C72ED6D3)
Does anyone has a list of functions that can be used with the camera?
You could have a look at http://moonlight.lan.st/3.02/kd/usbcam.html for a list of functions to use with the camera usb driver. Moreover, I have started trying to look a little in these functions, but not having a Chotto Cam it is hard to work my way through :) I'll get it as soon as it is out in Europe. (If it will ever...) Check out a topic on that in the hardware forum.
Is it possible to send any commands via USB?
Yes it is. You can peek at the USB headers in pspsdk, although they're quite incomplete.
http://psp.jim.sh/pspsdk-doc/pspusb_8h.html
http://psp.jim.sh/pspsdk-doc/pspusbbus_8h.html[img][/img]
TeamOverload

Post by TeamOverload »

Wow, thanks for all that. I'm looking over the information now.