Making PSP into a Wii controller. Possible?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Giuliano

Making PSP into a Wii controller. Possible?

Post by Giuliano »

Well tell me if this is silly.

The Wiimote is just like any wireless remote and sends IR to the console. IWould it be possible to make the PSP send the same signals to the Wii and perhaps make the PSP into a basic Wiimote ? Obviously it won't have tilt or any of the motion sensing capabilities but perhaps it could serve as a classic controller for the virtual console.

It would be amusing to use Sony equipment to drive Nintendo hardware.
dsn

Post by dsn »

I might be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure the Wiimote uses Bluetooth to connect to the console, not IR. The only IR used by the system is the series of IR LEDs in the "sensor bar" (which does not actually contain any sensors). The Wiimote has an IR sensor to determine its position based on the position of the LEDs in the bar.
Giuliano

Post by Giuliano »

oh yeah you are right. That idea goes out the window :)
psiko_scweek

wii...

Post by psiko_scweek »

They were talking about using the DS as a controller for the Wii via Wifi. Maybe after they get that functionality up and running we could borrow it for your PSPs?
Rikki-Tikki-Tavi

Post by Rikki-Tikki-Tavi »

Who was talking about that?
RATiX

Post by RATiX »

It is certainly possible, but I believe that the DS uses two wireless protocols: one is WiFi and the other is a proprietary Nintendo protocol that is used in DS-DS connections. I am going to guess that the proprietary protocol will be used in standard DS-Wii connections as well.

If this is true, then the only way to get PSP-Wii connectivity is to load homebrew software onto the Wii and access the WiFi API. So far, I believe that some basic GCN homebrew is able to run on the Wii by using the GameCube peripheral interfaces, but this is obviously inadequate for Wii-PSP connectivity as the GCN provided no WiFi support, and I doubt that Wii-specific functions can be called from software running in GCN mode.