PMP Mod V1.02 / small mods

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jo2k

Post by jo2k »

Here is my attempt (argandona-hack for file brower interface):
Last edited by jo2k on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
therock003

Re: A nice looking GUI !!

Post by therock003 »

hollow_ichigo wrote:A guy called argandona posted this in a forum !!
I was thinking of making a graphical user interface for PMP Mod, so I made a concept in photoshop and talked to jonny, but he has too much work on the main player to code up a GUI.
Main Tabs

File browser

Movie controls

It would be so cool if u could make this !! :D
Dude that looks cool,is the last version like that?
Xcarecrow

Post by Xcarecrow »

uauuuuuuuu, what a GUI!!!! it's great!!!! hope that anyone can make it and implement it to pmp mod.
therock003

Post by therock003 »

seriously guys,it's the bomb.I sure hope it gets included on the next version!
pegasus

hello

Post by pegasus »

csuper wrote:
malloc wrote:
windirt wrote: I'm using the Sony 2GB MSD, the second slowest speed in jonny's speedtest contest.
I think it's the problem but can be solved.
Because there was no tick sound when I used the M2 version
Could you try the 1.01 version from Jonny to see if the problem is also there ? (Maybe Jonny changes may have triggered the problem?)
Speeking only for me...
With 1.00 most of my videos are fine... but with 1.01 stutering appears...
I have a basic SONY 2 GB and my videos are 2-pass 768/128 kbps (encoded with 3 GP converter 0.34 <- 25 fps with no trell or m4v options)

Anyway THANX for the MOD :)

csuper.
I can confirm that too.. when i use jonny pmp mod 1.0 there was no ticking issue but in 1.1, there is.

I think the problem came from jonny's 1.1 and not malloc's M4 because as far as i can remember i have no issue using PMP 1.0 M4
amer

Post by amer »

Could somebody give the pmpmod 1.0M4? I want to test it. Thanks!
malloc

Post by malloc »

Great work Raphael (and thanks for the bug fix;), I think we will need a CVS :)

I also hate WMP, maybe you could add one of the skin proposed ? argandona (the one that made the eboot BG for PMP), did the full skin here : http://files.filefront.com/skinrar/;462 ... einfo.html

The only things that are really missing now are a battery meter and a volume indicator on the infobars I think.

@Jonny : about the small sound drops induced by the 1.01 fixes, do you have any idea of what could cause this ? When I've go time I'll try to compare the two versions to see if I can think of something...
jonny

Post by jonny »

there could be small speed differences every time i change something in the code.
i think this happen because even little changes modify some data/code alignement
there is no way to control this, the effect is somewhat random (i'd say between -1fps and +1fps)
more optimizations will make this not noticeable

---

i was experiencing this already 2 months ago.
even simple changes (in init/open code!) raise or lower the speed a bit (the effect seems random)
i haven't found a way to control this
if you do a diff between my 1.00 and my 1.01, you'll see that there is nothing that justify a speed drop (i focused this release on correcting muxer problems, changes in the player are minimal).
what i've written above is true, i see this many times while benching
pegasus

hello

Post by pegasus »

I think some movies are too processor
demanding like the trailer of Narnia
which is not playable without "ticking"
on any version currently released.

Even the initial pmp mod 1.0 by jonny has a ticking issue
when playing Narnia. you'll notice it most at the end of the
trailer when the title is showing wit lots of snow.

Hmm..
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Well, I took the screen you posted jo2k and integrated it as skin. I also added a battery meter (did you say something malloc? ;)) and current date/time display. Also the battery icon shows a flash if power cable is plugged in. However, the volume meter is still missing as I still couldn't find any function for this :( Maybe gotta ask in the SDK forum?

However, here's the link, this time without source (I'll add it later, since the battery and time display code is rather messy right now).
http://www-cgi.uni-regensburg.de/Fakult ... andona.zip

EDIT: I noticed the time is displayed as GMT, as the timezone isn't applied correctly. I'll fix that and reupload asap.
malloc

Post by malloc »

That was fast Raphael :) It's cool !

About the battery level I was thinking of displaying it also on the infobar during play, with a precise % remaining (or a graphic with steps of 5 or 10 % max) -> because this is the main problem with the PSP, you have to get to the system info menu to get a precise battery level...
Raphael you seam to have time to work on this project (I have only a small amount of time on the weekends to do so myself :( ), so if you want to add it, you know what to do ;)

I found a (really) tiny bug : the memory stick free space is not refreshed when START is pressed after copying new files.
pegasus

hello

Post by pegasus »

everytime i visit this site pmp mod gets better and better.......
toker#

Post by toker# »

Great work guys!!! Thank you very much.
argandona

Post by argandona »

Thanks to everyone for the compliments!
As malloc said, the sources of my skin are here: http://files.filefront.com/skinrar/;462 ... einfo.html

All that is missing are the video controls, if you need them PM me.
Good luck!
djamm

Post by djamm »

I agree that was really quick Raphael and super cool!

- I like all the features you have added and the new gui for the file selection menu.

Couple of small improvements I would like to see:
-loading screen in black....
-when loading the file menu, and usb connected go to the MS0\PSP\VIDEO folder...currently just opens MS0\
-press start looks more like argandona movie controls....

cheers and keep up the excellent work!
therock003

Post by therock003 »

Is there a limit of how big a filename should be?Cause i added some pmp and one of them (which name was rather big) didn't show on the rapahael mod list.

On the other hand it apperad on the pmp mod 1.0 jonny just fine.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thanks guys.

@argandona:
I downloaded your skin and will try to integrate it as soon as PMPMOD has more features, until then I'd like to probably add your video overlays, so I'd need the video controls and some new icons for lumi/volume boost and battery status.

@malloc:
seems theres a problem with the cmd function that sends the request to ms0. It was sended every loop (now I do this only on every list refresh anyway) but even though the contents on MS changes, the values returned by the function don't change... I already tried a sceIoSync before the request, but that doesn't change anything.
Regarding the battery status I added a icon to your infobar with a batterymeter with 6,25% accuracy (well, since there are only whole bars its more like 7%). So if the bars run completely out, there's only 6-7% max remaining. With this addition I also did some fine-tuning on the display of the batterymeter in filelist. It now has no bars for 0-24%, 1 for 25-49%, two for 50-74 and three bars for 75-100%.

@djamm:
I have reverted the loading screen to black as to your wish. However, the folder that is opened in windows upon USB connect, cannot be changed by the program (or at least, not that I would know of).
Regarding the video controls I'll add this when I got the neccesary pics from argandona. Probably I'll just add complete skinning control of the overlay, since I myself like the small aproach of malloc best :)

So I updated the argandona binary and apart from the above mentioned feats, I also added some additional information about the selected video in the file list (res, fps, playtime). However I still couldn't fix the time display bug, since the sceKernelLibcGettimeofday returns wrong timezone :(

Here you go: PMPMOD_1_01_M4g_argandona.zip
Last edited by Raphael on Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jo2k

Post by jo2k »

Raphael:

"Access to this file was denied.
Please check your Bookmarks for this page"
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I hate that damn university server, like every 3rd or 4th file I upload it sets its permission rights to not-readable for guests :( fixed that and now it can be downloaded. Sorry
jackandjohn

Post by jackandjohn »

Can I request a much-needed (simple) feature?

Playlisting!

I have thought that using an XBMC style control scheme should work:
From the file listing, tap triangle to highlight a file/clip, then when multiple files are highlighted, O or X plays them in sequence.

Could also go one step further towards XBMC style; tap Triangle to add to a playlist (doesn't need to be a saved playlist, just a single one), then L/R to switch to the screen that shows the current playlist; press X to start playing at that file.

See, I play alot of music videos, and some smaller clips (lectures, machinima, etc), so this would be a huge feature for me, and I don't think it would be much code

TIA
argandona

Post by argandona »

Raphael wrote:Thanks guys.

@argandona:
I downloaded your skin and will try to integrate it as soon as PMPMOD has more features, until then I'd like to probably add your video overlays, so I'd need the video controls and some new icons for lumi/volume boost and battery status.
Ok, video controls are done, I'm going to do battery/Volume/Luminance. You need to tell me how many steps for the battery, vol and luminance, and if you need a charging/plugged in state for the battery.

I'm also reworking the browser, list type instead of icons.

Preview pic for the List mode:

Updated Skin Here: (Removed, updated in my latest post)
Last edited by argandona on Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jo2k

Post by jo2k »

Raphael:

Link is fixed, thanks. Timezone still seems incorrect & overlaps with battery meter?

btw: detail info for each file (resolution, fps, lasting time) very cool! well done
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

@jackandjohn:
good idea, I'll try to add that. I also thought about having a endless-loop function, but this would more likely need a real settings screen.

@argandona:
Well, lumi boost has 5 states (+0,+1,+2,+3,+4) and volume boost 4 states (x1,x2,x4,x8), but like malloc you could let the states +0/x1 have no icon at all.
For the battery meter, it currently has 16 states (0-15 pixels wide), but it only depends on how big you want to make the icon. You even could make it 99 pixels wide, thus providing 100 states (1% accuracy). Let your creativity do as you please but it should at least have 16 states again (giving 100/16 = 6,25% accuracy) :)

Also the zoom icons would be nice, but I could just adopt the ones by malloc, as they would easily fit in.

@jo2k: the time overlaps with battery meter? This shouldn't happen, could you please tell me your Timeformat settings and by how many characters its approx. overlapping? (I suppose you have 12h time format?)
Timezone bug isn't fixed yet, yes :( not until I get the kernellibc function to return the correct settings.
therock003

Post by therock003 »

argandona wrote:
Raphael wrote:Thanks guys.

@argandona:
Ok, video controls are done, I'm going to do battery/Volume/Luminance. You need to tell me how many steps for the battery, vol and luminance, and if you need a charging/plugged in state for the battery.

I'm also reworking the browser, list type instead of icons.

Preview pic for the List mode:

Updated Skin Here: http://files.filefront.com/PMP_Argandon ... einfo.html
No man plz,i beg of you,the icon one looks great,plz don't remove it!At least what could be done,but would require more work would be if both options are available.I mean to be able to choose from within the programm if you want to browse in icons or list.

But plz man,don't remove the icon feature!
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

Raphael wrote:@jo2k: the time overlaps with battery meter? This shouldn't happen, could you please tell me your Timeformat settings and by how many characters its approx. overlapping? (I suppose you have 12h time format?)
Timezone bug isn't fixed yet, yes :( not until I get the kernellibc function to return the correct settings.
I took a picture with my digital camera to show how it looks:
jo2k

Post by jo2k »

Raphael: I can see how the time display is originally planned for 24h format lol.

AZImmortal: thx for posting the pic
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

@therock003:
I also liked the icon view very much, however it's harder to implement, since you need to open every video and generate the first frame to be used as icon and blit it scaled down on screen and all this for every screen refresh. At least the decode of the first frame is a problem for me, as I'm not to familiar with the way jonny generates the frames, but with the current functions it would be total overkill, since the whole framebuffer of 1s is allocated at start, which isn't needed for getting only the first frame. Maybe jonny can help and provide a quick and dirty pmp_get_first_frame function :)

@jo2k: yeah, that's cause I'm from Germany and use 24h format only :) didn't think of the 12h format overlapping... even though I was aware that the string would be longer... silly bug of me

Anyway, here's another update with non-overlapping 12h time display and.... tadam... simple playlist support.
Just press triangle to add items to playlist or remove them. Playlist is ordered on how you select the files, ie. first selected file gets placed first in list. You can change the order by selecting a file and pressing L to move it one place down and R for one place up in the list. The current playlist position is shown below video information.

EDIT: A list of all features over mallocs M4.01:
-GUI (thus naming it M4.01g1) with graphics by argandona
-file list also shows filesize and date, total size of all videos and total amount of free space on MS
-pressing O will start video with ignoring any .POS file for that video
-USB disconnect now only happens during playback, was kind of annoying when uploading files to stick, pressing Start to refresh and then the USB got disconnected and closed open Folders in Windows
-fixed the displaybug with infobars when the width of a video wasn't a exact multiple of slicesize (32), eg. on 360x272 videos
-made infobars 50% transparent to still be able to read subtitles
-battery meter in file list (25% accuracy) and infobar (6% accuracy)
-video information in file list (resolution, fps, playtime)
-simple playlist functionality using Triangle button to add/remove and L/R to reorder list

Known Bugs:
- timedisplay isn't correctly applying timezone
- Free space isn't updated after refresh

Binary
Source
Last edited by Raphael on Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
argandona

Post by argandona »

Well, here are the battery states, 32 of them, plus a charging icon. I'm going to start on the volume/luminance.

Get it here: (Removed, updated in my latest post)
Last edited by argandona on Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonny

Post by jonny »

you should use pmp_decode.h api

1 - pmp_decode_open
2 - pmp_decode_get
3 - *** here you generate the thumb ***
4 - pmp_decode_close

pmp_decode_get takes the frame number (imho you should pass a keyframe in the middle of the clip)
the frame will be saved in "video_frame_buffers[0]" (member of struct pmp_decode_struct)

to learn how to find keyframes you can look at pmp_next_video_frame function (in pmp_play.c)

EDIT: argandona, it seems you have finally found your way :-)
therock003

Post by therock003 »

Raphael wrote:@therock003:
I also liked the icon view very much, however it's harder to implement, since you need to open every video and generate the first frame to be used as icon and blit it scaled down on screen and all this for every screen refresh. At least the decode of the first frame is a problem for me, as I'm not to familiar with the way jonny generates the frames, but with the current functions it would be total overkill, since the whole framebuffer of 1s is allocated at start, which isn't needed for getting only the first frame. Maybe jonny can help and provide a quick and dirty pmp_get_first_frame function :)
Well if it is difficult and you can't find a solution i have a suggestion.Y don't we create our own thumbnail much like you used to with the .thm on the psp native player,and the frames will be display the .thm we have on the directory.

Is that simpler?