PMP Mod V1.02 / small mods

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

malloc

Post by malloc »

Great 1.01 is out, I'll sync the M4 version with the 1.01 from Jonny tomorrow !
(I will probably name it M4.01 ;)
jonny

Post by jonny »

I also read somewhere in the other thread, that you plan a new GUI for the next version, is that correct?
not me :)
malloc

Post by malloc »

I've merged Jonny's 1.01 with the M4 version creating in the process... well ... a M4.01 ;)
(the first post has been updated)

About the GUI (for file selection), I'm not a great artist, so if somebody wants to create a cool design (480x272, with a box where the files are listed and a scroll bar), I'll try to add it in the next version :D
k0nan

Post by k0nan »

malloc,

Great work on the recent updates (jonny too!). Small request, could you map a button in your next release to exit the current video without creating a POS file? I run lots of short clips (battle scenes from Matrix, Star Wars, Predator, Conan, etc, nice stuff to show off with PMP Mod :) though the POS files on short clips are unnecessary. thanks!
miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

I cant download from rapidshare

can some one upload at www.yousendit.com or www.megaupload.com
PMP Simple Converter 0.08 Package Lite edition
http://dl.qj.net/PMP-Simple-Converter-0 ... 8/catid/30
PMP Simple Converter 0.07 Package Lite edition
http://www8.rapidupload.com/d.php?file= ... path=16370
tallx

Post by tallx »

@k0nan

good idea!
Itaintrite

Post by Itaintrite »

Brilliant. Thanks jonny and malloc (and of course jinicho for starting this whole project).

Cheers.
pegasus

WOW!!

Post by pegasus »

A few hours ago I was DL'ing and using malloc's M4, and now new version is out! That was fast!

Cool! Keep up the good work Malloc and Johnny!
windirt

Post by windirt »

M4.01 still has ticking/popping. reverse to M2 and all fine.
jo2k

Post by jo2k »

try playback any 368x272 video in M4.01, press START for the info screen kinda mess the vid up - it pinches the vid for about 10% narrower - while the info bars themselves are showing 2 completely blank bottom bars (means the original top bar now is also a blank bottom bar).

Edit: just tried Blade.Trinity.2000vbr.divx.pmp, seems info bars don't work properly.
malloc

Post by malloc »

windirt wrote:M4.01 still has ticking/popping. reverse to M2 and all fine.
Hum... If no zoom mode is used, and the info bars are not shown, the player is using the old code from M2, so it shouldn't be slower... if the info bars are displayed, it could be a little slower (GU blit instead of a SetBuffer) and create pops but it should have been fixed... or I'm missing something... maybe the changes from 1.00 to 1.01 did something unexpected (I didn't try it a lot after the merge with 1.01).
Do you have a sample to demonstrate this behaviour ? (no pop on M2 and pop on M4.01, if you play it 30sec before the pops... because seeking directly in the action scenes may trigger the pops -> buffering issues).

I tried so many things with the GU, played the spiderman sample so many times, that after an hour or so I was hearing pops everywhere :P but in the end I managed to get Spiderman2 play smoothly without pops with GU blits, but still I removed the GU blit if the info bars are not displayed/no zoom is in use just to be sure to have the maximum speed.

@jo2k : I'll try the sample and see what happens.
jonny

Post by jonny »

i quote myself:
there could be small speed differences every time i change something in the code.
i think this happen because even little changes modify some data/code alignement
there is no way to control this, the effect is somewhat random (i'd say between -1fps and +1fps)
more optimizations will make this not noticeable
i was experiencing this already 2 months ago.
even simple changes (in init/open code!) raise or lower the speed a bit (the effect seems random)
i haven't found a way to control this
malloc

Post by malloc »

jo2k wrote:try playback any 368x272 video in M4.01, press START for the info screen kinda mess the vid up - it pinches the vid for about 10% narrower - while the info bars themselves are showing 2 completely blank bottom bars (means the original top bar now is also a blank bottom bar).

Edit: just tried Blade.Trinity.2000vbr.divx.pmp, seems info bars don't work properly.
I redownloaded M4.01 from the link I posted (to be sure to have the same version), and I tried the blade trailer, and it works like a charm, no issue with the info bars or anything... I also tried some of the anims in 368x272 I have and I have no issue whatsoever with the info bars.
And I also checked every trailers / and a Lost episode I had sound drops with before, and they all work without any sound drop (even if the interface is displayed).

This is getting very strange...

About the sound drops, I'm wondering if the memory card speed could be the problem ?
Jonny did a test program and demonstrated that this could have a great impact on the frame rate.
(I have a 1GB high speed Sandisk card)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I now added a graphical GUI to the player, however with no button-functionality-whatsoever yet. My idea is to either use the pad right/left to switch between the possible buttons and use X to press the currently highlighted button or do a complete interface with a mouse cursor that is controlled with analog stick. Since the latter is more complicated I'll for the moment stick with the first solution. Up to now it works like the normal version with up/down to select a listentry and X to play it, square for license (sorry jonny, had to move all the informational stuff into its own 'about' screen to make place for the GUI), home for exit and start for list refresh.

Well, I could just provide the version as it is now, but I have one thing I'd like to add first. This is a volume indicator, and for this I need a function to return the volume level set with the +/- volume buttons, but I couldn't find such a function within the sdk. So does anyone know of such a function?

EDIT: Is it just me/my compile or did anyone other notice that the width (from the right side) of a 360x272 video changes when infobar is active? It's like 5 pixel or so smaller with infobar, just as if the sceDisplaySetFrameBuf would blit the video somewhat larger.
EDIT2: I found the error. It's in the advancedBlit, when dw is not a int multiple of slice there was a rounding error with the float calculations of
ustep, leading to a wider texturepart being drawn, than was given by dw. (ie (360 / (360 / 32)) * 12 = 386 [apart from rounding error], since even though 360/32 is 11,25, the loop is run through 12 times. Watch your maths malloc ;))
Just replace the ustep calculation with this:
float ustep = (float)((float)sw / (float)dw) * (float)slice;
and in the loop after finding width, add this:
if (width<slice) ustep = sw+sx-ustart;
To get an idea how it will look:
I used the WMP10 skin as base for this skin, but any other skin could be adopted easily.
hyedipin

Post by hyedipin »

good work, but last thing i wanna see on PSP is WMP! :)
Jan 18th v.0.07 - PMP Simple Converter by miemt11 to use with PMP MOD Player on your PSP PACKAGED ready. http://rapidshare.de/files/11293003/PMP ... k.rar.html
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=33359#33359
windirt

Post by windirt »

malloc wrote:This is getting very strange...

About the sound drops, I'm wondering if the memory card speed could be the problem ?
Jonny did a test program and demonstrated that this could have a great impact on the frame rate.
(I have a 1GB high speed Sandisk card)
I'm using the Sony 2GB MSD, the second slowest speed in jonny's speedtest contest.
I think it's the problem but can be solved.
Because there was no tick sound when I used the M2 version
malloc

Post by malloc »

windirt wrote: I'm using the Sony 2GB MSD, the second slowest speed in jonny's speedtest contest.
Could you try the 1.01 version from Jonny to see if the problem is also there ? (Maybe Jonny changes may have triggered the problem?)
csuper

Post by csuper »

malloc wrote:
windirt wrote: I'm using the Sony 2GB MSD, the second slowest speed in jonny's speedtest contest.
Could you try the 1.01 version from Jonny to see if the problem is also there ? (Maybe Jonny changes may have triggered the problem?)
Speeking only for me...
With 1.00 most of my videos are fine... but with 1.01 stutering appears...
I have a basic SONY 2 GB and my videos are 2-pass 768/128 kbps (encoded with 3 GP converter 0.34 <- 25 fps with no trell or m4v options)

Anyway THANX for the MOD :)

csuper.
windirt

Post by windirt »

malloc wrote:Could you try the 1.01 version from Jonny to see if the problem is also there ? (Maybe Jonny changes may have triggered the problem?)

I tested jonny's 1.01. the tick sound still there, but much less then M4.01. only the very heavy part in M4.01 can be appeared in Mod 1.01
The frames got drop when the tick sound went heavy, in both version .
jo2k

Post by jo2k »

Malloc:

Thanks for double checking. My bad - I redownloaded it again this morning and instantly I noticed the new icon & background - this is VERY STRANGE as I downloaded/erased old/installed new multiple times last night I swear I didn't see this new icon & background...what's gotten into my PSP last night?

info bars works perfectly now.

Still, one rather weird thing: in 368x272 (anime) playback, bringing out the info bars will still pinch the vids for about 10% narrower. Note that these 2 were encoded in mencoder by myself and when play back in last version V1.00M3, time wasn't displayed properly (the vid is shown as 00:00:07 while it's actually 25 mins long) so this might be the way they're encoded? Have you got a 368x272 vid that I can try out? I am going to try encoding some w/ new 1.01 muxer...
hollow_ichigo

A nice looking GUI !!

Post by hollow_ichigo »

A guy called argandona posted this in a forum !!
I was thinking of making a graphical user interface for PMP Mod, so I made a concept in photoshop and talked to jonny, but he has too much work on the main player to code up a GUI.
Main Tabs

File browser

Movie controls

It would be so cool if u could make this !! :D
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

looks kinda cute =)
djamm

Post by djamm »

I like the look of argandona work as well! He is also the person who did the splash screen for PMP MOD that is being used!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

@jo2k: I already found that bug with narrow vids with visible infobars and added a fix in my last post. It's just up to malloc when he puts this in his code. Until then you could also try my MOD mod mod which I'll upload in a few minutes ;) (unless you desperately hate anything that looks like WMP)
hyedipin

Post by hyedipin »

wooolF wrote:looks kinda cute =)

what? the GUI or Charlize ? Image YES

You got a great scene to demonstrate your skin!
Jan 18th v.0.07 - PMP Simple Converter by miemt11 to use with PMP MOD Player on your PSP PACKAGED ready. http://rapidshare.de/files/11293003/PMP ... k.rar.html
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=33359#33359
jo2k

Post by jo2k »

argandona's GUI looks really mature. that'll make PMP MOD 1 step closer to a perfect package. I vote go w/ it, Malloc. :D

Raphael: Thanks man! but I do hate WMP..... :P lol.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

@hollow_ichigo: Yay, that's really 99% how I imagined the GUI for it in the first place, however, in the current stage, this GUI features 10x the functions that PMPMOD currently provides, so it's useless to integrate this fullfeatured GUI yet. However, as soon as PMPMOD grows, I'd be more than glad to code this GUI and make that dream happen :D

Well, until then, here's my GUI mod for M4.01 with following additions:
-GUI (thus naming it M4g)
-file list also shows filesize and date, total size of all videos and total amount of free space on MS
-pressing O will start video with ignoring any .POS file for that video
-USB disconnect now only happens during playback, was kind of annoying when uploading files to stick, pressing Start to refresh and then the USB got disconnected and closed open Folders in Windows
-fixed the displaybug with infobars when the width of a video wasn't a exact multiple of slicesize
-made infobars 50% transparent to still be able to read subtitles

Binary:
http://www-cgi.uni-regensburg.de/Fakult ... 01_M4g.zip
Source:
http://www-cgi.uni-regensburg.de/Fakult ... 4g_src.zip

Any comments will be appreciated :) Hope you like it anyway

PS: I'm still searching for the function to get the currently set volume level on the PSP
[/url]
jo2k

Post by jo2k »

Raphael:

Well done.

- No more pinching for 368x272 vids w/ info bars
- File listing w/ date/size along w/ total size/free space is good add-on to file browser
- 50% transparent info bars very nice touch
- USB remain connected as said, cool

but honestly that wmp skin is kinda outta place, doesn't go w/ the rest of the theme (icon/splash/info bars/etc). If you can take cue from some of argandona's design that'd be wonderful...:)

All and all, nice work!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Well, that's true, but I picked the skin together in a rush and WMP was the first thing that came to my mind when thinking of a Media Player skin (I wonder why) so if argandona could provide me with some nice skin images I'd be glad to use them for the skin :)
(BTW: the skin.tga is exchangable, as long as file list, volume bar and scrollbar have the same size and same position)
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

Raphael wrote:Well, until then, here's my GUI mod for M4.01 with following additions:
-GUI (thus naming it M4g)
-file list also shows filesize and date, total size of all videos and total amount of free space on MS
-pressing O will start video with ignoring any .POS file for that video
-USB disconnect now only happens during playback, was kind of annoying when uploading files to stick, pressing Start to refresh and then the USB got disconnected and closed open Folders in Windows
-fixed the displaybug with infobars when the width of a video wasn't a exact multiple of slicesize
-made infobars 50% transparent to still be able to read subtitles
1) WMP sucks...
2) rocks!
3) very good idea!
4) finally someone realised same as I did! thanks god! :)
5) - never had any probs
6) very cool!

Keep it up =)