PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

artik wrote:
miemt11 wrote: it is possible to upload at http://www.yousendit.com/

I cant download from rapidshare.de
http://www.iceberg-production.com/Trans ... mod_v1.ini
Thanks, artik
EdwardFMA

Post by EdwardFMA »

artik wrote:@leavinel :

Exellent job dude. But one question, does the aspect ratio is keeped ? or the video is resized in 480 x 272 ? (sorry, can't test, no more battery in my psp :S)

2nd : if aspect ratio is not keeped, a way to set this setting in 3GP ?
The word is kept "is the aspect ratio kept?"

The video is resized to 480x272 if you select 16:9 and no there are no settings through the interface, but the quality is great...It's just if you used my tutorial be warned that the size by theory should be double the size and there should be no Quality difference between the two.
EdwardFMA/IchigoKurosaki - PSP Expert
Athlon 64 - Socket 939 - 3000+
1GB 333 DDR-Ram
Geforce 6600 GT PCI-Express

Orbis PSP Development
Open-Source Development
arex

Post by arex »

huh, i made a pmp icon & background .

pmp mod 0.1 is so wonderful ,think it's the most valuable software of psp.

thx jonny once once more

呵呵。
leavinel

Post by leavinel »

EdwardFMA wrote: Well I just tried your way and it converted perfectly, but it's twice the size and i don't get the options to adjust your resizeing settings to make it look nice.... There is also no quality differents between your way and my way, but somehow it comes out to be twice the size....

Non-Transcoded: 170MB for Bleach Episode 62

Your way: 170MB for Bleach Episode 62
My way: 80MB for Bleach Episode 62
Can you tell me which option you used?

Maybe I missed something, but in my case the bitrate is accurate.
Or...maybe I forgot to mention that the bitrate listed on the options is only video bitrate...not total bitrate, so if you choose 896kbps, the result will be 1024kbps (+128kbps mp3).
artik wrote: Exellent job dude. But one question, does the aspect ratio is keeped ? or the video is resized in 480 x 272 ? (sorry, can't test, no more battery in my psp :S)
16:9 will enforce 480x272 resolution, and 4:3 = 360x272. AR will not be kept.
EdwardFMA

Post by EdwardFMA »

I used [16:9 / 23.976fps @ 896 kbps]
EdwardFMA/IchigoKurosaki - PSP Expert
Athlon 64 - Socket 939 - 3000+
1GB 333 DDR-Ram
Geforce 6600 GT PCI-Express

Orbis PSP Development
Open-Source Development
leavinel

Post by leavinel »

EdwardFMA wrote:I used [16:9 / 23.976fps @ 896 kbps]
One episode is about 25min, so the result will be about 180MB. Nothing wrong.
Maybe your xvid setting is based on quality factor, not bitrate.
You can lower the bitrate option in my configuration file: @ Command0 "-b 896"
Mr.Modem

Post by Mr.Modem »

I've recently tested mencoder (used a slightly modified version of that .bat file from arex). The conversion went fine but when I tried the file in PMP I got this error:
"pmp_lib_open: first frame is not a keyframe"

I saw someone had the same problem, but does anyone know how to fix it?

@arex
Nice icon and background!
JimmyZ

Re: an updated version of that batch file, two-pass encoding

Post by JimmyZ »

weav2k4 wrote:
JimmyZ wrote:an updated version of that batch file, two-pass encoding:

mplayer "%1" -quiet -priority idle -novideo -af resample=44100:0:2 -ao pcm:file="%2_PMP.wav"

Tonight was the first time I ever tried mencoder/mplayer to encode something and have a question. If I try to use the above like JimmyZ shows then it simply fails on creating a wav file at all. If I remove the '-novideo' flag from the above then it will create the wav fine. What am I doing wrong that I actually have to display the video of my avi file I'm trying to recode to get mplayer to dump the wav?

Jonny - EXCELLENT JOB! I now can stay at 1.50 and have excellent movie playback at full res! Many thanks and keep up the great work on PMP Mod.
seems mplayer refuse avi file without video, mkv files dumps ok, strange :(

i'll try using besweet
artik

Post by artik »

leavinel wrote: 16:9 will enforce 480x272 resolution, and 4:3 = 360x272. AR will not be kept.
And actualy no way to keep the aspect ratio i mean... It's the main problem encoding w/3GP converter
arex

Post by arex »

JimmyZ wrote:

i'll try using besweet
why not dump and convert to mp3 use mencoder ?

mencoder.exe -srate 44100 -oac mp3lame -lameopts aq=6:mode=0:cbr:br=128 -ovc copy -of rawaudio "*.AVI" -o "*.mp3"

i found it's so convenient..
weav2k4

Post by weav2k4 »

arex wrote:
JimmyZ wrote:

i'll try using besweet
why not dump and convert to mp3 use mencoder ?

mencoder.exe -srate 44100 -oac mp3lame -lameopts aq=6:mode=0:cbr:br=128 -ovc copy -of rawaudio "*.AVI" -o "*.mp3"

i found it's so convenient..

@arex

That's the ticket! Works great now. Thanks!!

@jimmyz

Thanks for getting me interested in using mencoder. Nice quick encodes.

Now to see if I can setup a batch file to process folders instead of individual avi's..

Thanks again all who helped!
RATiX

Post by RATiX »

I'm having a little trouble with audio.
I had an mkv file, so I demuxed it to avi and aac. I XviD'D the avi with virtual dub, but the aac is killing me. I converted the aac to wav using QuickTime 7 pro, then converted the wav to mp3 44100Hz 64kbps stereo using Goldwave. The mp3 sounds fine when I play it, but when I run the muxer, it gives me the "sync" problem when it reaches the audio.

What can I do?
jonny

Post by jonny »

fisrt of all, on my site i've added 2 sections, "Common problems" (everyone should look here before reporting a problem) and "Guides" (i've added EdwardFMA guide - thank you! - plus, i'm accepting submission of other guides too)

now, some random answers :)

@Everyone offering graphic:
first, thanks for this.
but making nice gr. stuffs inside the app will subtract too time to new features and optimization (i'm returning to a reduced free time, my real job is waiting me the next week).

anyway adding a simple icon and bg is not a problem.
since there is more than one, offering graphic help, i propose everyone interested to post a preview (like arex did).
i'll keep every work in the first thread and i'll decide what to use at the end of the next week.

@RATiX:

forgot to answer you, i'll release well written specs when i'll get the time to do this :)
anyway the pmp format is quite near to a raw format

pmp_lib.h contains headers for video/audio

the structure is something like this:
- video header
- video indexes
- raw frames
- audio header
- audio indexes
- the mp3 (with eventual tags stripped out)

video indexes is an array, in each value:
value & 1 -> indicates a keyframe or not
value >> 1 -> is the video frame size

audio indexes is an array of bytes, in the current format each value get only 0 or 1 (this replicate the "Padding bit" in each mp3 frame)

@Ninja:
I'm getting this error: invalid dwTotalFrames
i would say this indicate a corruption in the avi you are using

@Theelise:
I'll look into it my self and see if i can make the process easier for unskilled pc and/or psp users
this is the point :)
there are so many ways to do the job, personally i'm more intrested in quality - high flexible solutions (i go with avisynth + vdubmod + custom apps to make some particular tests)
MEncoder can be an easy scriptable solution, i'll also look at FFMPEG too for this job.
About quality, going with a fixed quantizer encode (with a quant <= 4) will always give you good results, no matter what program you are using.

@csuper:
May I ask... I wonder why you have implemented 44,1 Khz ? and not 48 Khz... ? What is the difference in terms of programming and the difficulties related.. ?
And... what is the main difficulties in implementing VBR instead of CBR ?
44100 is what psp hardware output, any other stuff will waste cpu cicles ('cos resampling on the fly will be needed)
vbr add a little more complexity, plus will probably add less stability to the encoding speed (i can't tell if vbr is really speed problematic or not atm, i've not deeply benchmarked high bitrates).
anyway, i'd like to add vbr support, but there is not eta for this :)
Last edited by jonny on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
jonny

Post by jonny »

RATiX:

you could try FFMPEG (i'm discovering some problems with low bitrates, besweet too seems to output non muxer compatible stuffs with br < 112)

ffmpeg -i youraudiofile -ar 44100 -ac 2 -acodec mp3 -ab 64 out.mp3
artik

Post by artik »

jonny, there is no way to implement an aspect ratio fonction ? so many movies are in widescreen, and not 16:9 for example. an autokeep aspect ratio in pmp should be amazing. But maybe too much performance issues, or dunno ... could you tell me more ?
jonny

Post by jonny »

i don't understand exactly your problem.
can't you encode widescreen content to someting like 480x200 or 480x208?
daume

Post by daume »

well first i want to say great job jonny

then i want to say great job arex because youre method is the best i tried

just i erase the last line with the pmu because it wasnt working with me so i do it manually and i also modify 600 to 824 and 800 to 1024 + the sound in 192 kbps (i dont know if it change something for the video resolution but i really want the best quality ever (i dont care of the quantity)

so i encoded "tom yum goong" 700 mo xvid in approximatively 20 minutes maximum (but i think it depends on ure avi source file because i try now another divx and it seems that it will be more like 30 minutes (thats still very fast) , it gaves me a 478mo pmp file

so to everyone no need to think much , use his method if you dont know what to choose

but i really want to ask you (arex) or to anyone else if i can change the .bat settings to have the best quality we can have

thanks a lot again to everyone who contributes to make this thread very interesting !

special thx and greets again to jonny !!!
++ all
artik

Post by artik »

jonny wrote:i don't understand exactly your problem.
can't you encode widescreen content to someting like 480x200 or 480x208?
But if i do that, (for example a 480x200) PMP will fit to the 480x272 or it will display a "correct" 480x200 with 2 black lines ?
jonny

Post by jonny »

actually there is no resizing
every clip with width < 480 and/or height < 272 will be simply centered.
so both widescreen and 4/3 content can be used with full quality (4/3 should go to something like 360x272)

there are problems only with clips like 320x200, since there is no zoom function and the clip will not fill psp width nor height
iZpaliG

Post by iZpaliG »

Thanks Jonny. Damn, couldn't get in touch with you any other way so I had to register here :)

GREAT work! This is what I've been waiting for, now I can actually watch movies without suffering too much. And the encoding-stuff is faster than psp video 9 etc. I think.

I've tested a few clips and movies, both with virtualdub+belight, and now with MEncoder. The batch files people posted here were really great, and it's so easy. Just one line and everything goes smoothly. No need for me to setup stuff in 2-3 apps.

The only thing I'd like to see is some display of time.

Once again, thanks. This is the greatest app since ISO emulators.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the playback is awsome, no fps-drops etc so far. But I guess you knew that :)
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

I wanted to give my thanks to you jonny, the player is great, and now we can finally unlock the full video power of the PSP. My understanding of container formats is limited, so is there a reason why a custom container has to be used? The container wouldn't be much of a problem if there was some kind of fully-automated frontend to use for batch encoding with customizable settings (resolution, bitrate or target size, etc) for each input/output file.
dbl

Post by dbl »

Well I'm completely staggered by this, the very same day that I was cursing Sony for crippling the video on the PSP, jonny goes and does this. Fantastic work!

I've wasted most of the last 24 hours playing at converting files to get the best results. Currently I'm favouring using AutoGK to do most of the work, especially if backing-up DVD files.

Anyway, I wanted to mention a problem I'm seeing with ALL pmp files so far (regardless of how they are converted). The problem is smearing/blurring/shadowing. It's most noticable on brightly lit scenes with fast edits or lots of movement.

Take a look at the following example clip.
First try the avi version on your PC, the problem cannot be seen. Then try the equivalent pmp version on your psp, watch the characters moving you will see they blur/smear as they move around. Also watch the edits, you will see shadows of the previous scene for a split-second.

(change hxxp to http to get this link to work, yousendit.com doesn't like to be linked to)
hxxp://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2ZNQR4HBE6B5X11VXWIZSW4SYH

This is not a major problem, and you may have to look hard to see it, but now I've noticed it, it's really bugging me!

Any ideas what's causing this?

<dbl>
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

dbl wrote:watch the characters moving you will see they blur/smear as they move around. Also watch the edits, you will see shadows of the previous scene for a split-second.
The PSP LCD has that problem with everything it displays. http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=1106
dbl

Post by dbl »

I think you're right jim, the example video from that thread also shows the same problem.
Thanks for setting me straight.
Pit0711

Post by Pit0711 »

converted 1080p HD Wmv Sample with 3gp converter.
Sound?

great quality :-))

DL: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SUQWZ9FJ
Last edited by Pit0711 on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
LaMa

Post by LaMa »

Hi johny,

Since you asked for it, here's my preview image..

I really like the clean Media Center-like look, and decided to give it a try.

You can download the package HERE

And follow the readme instructions (replace the original PMPMOD% directory with the PMPMOD% directory included in the zip file)
Last edited by LaMa on Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
yoshaw

Post by yoshaw »

Thanks to Pochi for making these images. I just inserted them images in the eboot.pbp to make the player look classy. That last is my only credit in here! Again much props to Pochi.

Here is how PMP would look like on your PSP LCD if you just replace the PSPMod% folder with the one linked below

http://files.filefront.com/PMPMODrar/;4 ... einfo.html

artik

Post by artik »

yoshaw wrote:Thanks to Pochi for making these images. I just inserted them images in the eboot.pbp to make the player look classy. That last is my only credit in here! Again much props to Pochi.

Here is how PMP would look like on your PSP LCD if you just replace the PSPMod% folder with the one linked below

http://files.filefront.com/PMPMODrar/;4 ... einfo.html

AMAZING !

on my psp :p

THX !
xxxstarmanxxx

Excellent Stuff

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

Thanks for all your hard word Johny!

Just a tip for anyone who wants to seriously louden the audio track rather than using belight/sweet option (as its quite crap).

I've found its far simpler to do the following and get great sound amplification for movies IF YOU HAVE THE DISK SPACE! 2hr movie needs around 6gb space for the stream

Using the original source movie you used to encode video segment do the following -

Start a new encode as follows:

Video set to direct stream -

Here's the trick - Audio - full processing mode - compression selected as NO COMPRESSION PCM

Then under the same tab you'll find a volume setting - raise it to between 600 - 800% and encode your AVI as normal. (this process will take around 5 minutes for a 2 hour film)

-----------------------------------------------------
Follow up using belight/sweet

Load up belight/sweet

choose your new volumised avi to create your mp3 for muxing and you should be pleased with the result.
-----------------------------------------------------
to recap simply:

1.encode your video only without audio
2.encode your audio by streaming and volumising with a new avi file as explained above
3.convert volumised avi to mp3 with belight/sweet
4.convert original video only encode with new mp3 taken from volumised avi using the muxer.

I hope I have explained that well - dont be put off by the second avi fil encode just to get volume increase - its only 5 mins and the rewards are great results.

All the best

J.
therock003

Post by therock003 »

Is there any quality loss with this method?Increasing to to 600-800% isn't it very loud?

What if instead of dynaic compress (it is crap i aggree)we use the boost option on belight,will there be any problem?

Also jonny,would it be able for you to make a muxer that process batch files.If i have a folder full of files a.avi-a.mp3,b.avi-b.mp3 and so on,to encode them all at once?