Code Instrumentation

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

71M

Code Instrumentation

Post by 71M »

Has anyone successfully used the gcc -finstrument-functions compile flag to instrument PSP code?

Cheers,
71M
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

There is currently no library support for any of GCC's profiling or instrumentation options.
71M

Post by 71M »

Ok, thanks. Shame really as it'd be really useful for debugging.

Cheers,
71M
RustyFunkNut

Post by RustyFunkNut »

And for profiling :)
HoldAndModify

status of profiling support

Post by HoldAndModify »

Hi, just wondering if -pg is supported now? I tried this and received undefined reference to _mcount when building a sample program with this.

If I am doing something wrong, help would be appreciated. Assuming this works, would the profile info be written to some gmon.out on the mem stick?

Thanks...
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Nope, _mcount isn't defined anywhere. While it would be trivial to add support for counting how many times functions are called, I can't figure out a sane way to do PC sampling with the PSP's OS.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

mrbrown wrote:Nope, _mcount isn't defined anywhere. While it would be trivial to add support for counting how many times functions are called, I can't figure out a sane way to do PC sampling with the PSP's OS.
Do alarms not interrupt execution, do they not have high enough resolution or is there no way to get the previously running thread PC?
HoldAndModify

Post by HoldAndModify »

mrbrown wrote:Nope, _mcount isn't defined anywhere. While it would be trivial to add support for counting how many times functions are called, I can't figure out a sane way to do PC sampling with the PSP's OS.
Hmm...well, if you'd like to summarize your investigations in this area, I'd be happy to investigate further.

Proper gprof support would probably really help all emu authors optimize things.

Cheers,
HAM
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

crazyc wrote:Do alarms not interrupt execution, do they not have high enough resolution or is there no way to get the previously running thread PC?
Right, I couldn't figure out how to get the PC of the current thread. The stupid thread status struct gives you everything except that. I didn't see an easy way to sample the PC in kernel mode either.

Hrm... ok, just had a thought. How about saving the caller's return address in _mcount(), and "sampling" that in an alarm handler? It wouldn't be a precise PC sample but it would at least tell you where all your time was being spent. Of course the other problem with that method is that there's no way to figure out if all your time is being spent in the kernel or in some other PRX.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

mrbrown wrote:Hrm... ok, just had a thought. How about saving the caller's return address in _mcount(), and "sampling" that in an alarm handler? It wouldn't be a precise PC sample but it would at least tell you where all your time was being spent. Of course the other problem with that method is that there's no way to figure out if all your time is being spent in the kernel or in some other PRX.
Wouldn't it be possible to wrap each kernel entry stub with a function to call mcount? That at least would tell you how much time is being spent in the kernel.