A CPU-cheap SID Emulation Library on PSP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

AudioMonster

A CPU-cheap SID Emulation Library on PSP

Post by AudioMonster »

Although it is not my very goal on PSP, i am planning to port my latest libNanoSID library on PSP and make the library available to you so you can play SID tunes in your games/demos without it to take all your CPU ( SID Emulation can be very expensive ! ).

I've already ported an older version tonight. You can download an example from my page:

http://www.sid6581.org/PSP/PSPNanoSIDPlay_Test.zip

Please read the 'readme.txt', and enjoy !
71M

Post by 71M »

Nicely done sir! I look forward to future updates and possibly *cough* source code :)

Cheers,
71M
Shazz

Post by Shazz »

What about releasing a PSP MC compatible codec ??????????

Would be definitively nice & easy to reuse....

my 2 cents :D
- TiTAN Art Division -
http://www.titandemo.org
adresd

Post by adresd »

if you release source, I will do the bits needed to integrate into PSPMC if you wish, as i would be doing them anyway once you released source.

Have had quite a few ppl ask for SID in PSPMC, so source would be nice when you are happy with it :)
AudioMonster

Post by AudioMonster »

The SID tune i gave you as an example is part of my NanoSID Library. This library does not play .sid but .zsid, which is a completely different format that i created to make the synthesis faster.
The problem is, you need to convert the .sid tune you want to play, and this conversion is very slow and should be done offline.

So, in my mind, that library is not done to make a sidplayer but more to incorporate a few SID tunes in a game or demos.

I suggest you to port sidplay2 to the PSP. I think the PSP should be fast enough to run it in real-time ( not sure actually ! ).

I am working on an actual .sid player from time to time, that could also be interesting for you. But i don't plan to release the source because i don't want to expose my synthesis algorithms and filters, which are very different from what the SID does. I plan to use those in an other project later.
However, i can provide everybody a static library that will expose some callbacks for dynamic memory allocation and so on. I don't think you would have any problem to use it in your product.