Porting a 3D Engine ?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

KaL

Porting a 3D Engine ?

Post by KaL »

I need the communty knowledge there..

Which OpenGL-based 3D Engine could be ported to PSP ?
(Looking at the svn repo, with have plenty of libs now.. I think it should be possible.. SDL / TinyGL / pspGL(?) / SDL_mixer ...)
I really don't know any free 3D Engine using OpenGL simple enough to be ported.

Thank you.
Souls85

Post by Souls85 »

from what Ive seen people who are trying to convert 3d games are having alot of optimization issues I don't know it this would apply to a game engine or not but I would bet that it would. It would probably be best for you to create your own engine specifically for the psp. but hey what do I know im just a graphic artist im not a programer..
booger

Post by booger »

Well, PacManFan is working on porting Quake over to the PSP. I believe the OpenGL version of Quake is also open sourced (though I may be wrong on that one). Another open source 3d engine that I'm aware of is the Egoboo engine. It uses OpenGL, SDL and LUA in it's more recent incarnation. Though, Egoboo is more of a top down, RPG style engine... it's a fairly simple engine (from what I gather, I'm not a programmer, so take my advice for what it's worth). However, if someone were to port over the Egoboo engine, I have some familiarity working with the art elements of it and would be more than happy to get together with someone to crank out a project.