PSP Programming advice

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

rohit507

PSP Programming advice

Post by rohit507 »

I am new to these forums but i wish to wite a few small homebrew games for my psp. I have read around these forums and it seems that there are many different ways to use pspsdk (different languages, ect..). I am a noob to psp programing but i know vb.net , some java, some c++ and Dr.scheme (a derivitive of lisp). I just wanted to ask for suggestions on which method of prgramming to use. Thank you very much.

ps. if there is anything wrong with this post (wrong forum, bad question, ect..) i am really really sorry. thanks for listening,

edit: Also i cant seem to find a windows xp program to open tar.bz2 files correctly, 7-zip seems to work but all exported files are corrupt.
2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights make a left
sexdwarf

Post by sexdwarf »

while you can (technically) use most any language to program for the psp, it all comes down to the compiler and if it can handle compiling for the psp's architecture... the psptoolchain and pspsdk are for c, and is probably the best route to go in the end...

as far as windows handeling of bzip'd files - i know winrar can handle them, but if you plan on using the psptoolchain, you will need cygwin anyhow, so you might as well set up your dev environment and you can bunzip from there...
...isn't it nice, sugar and spice...
...luring disco dollies to a life of vice...
rohit507

Post by rohit507 »

Thanks for the help, i also wanted to know if there are other ways outside of pspsdk to wirte for the psp. Thanks for you help
2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights make a left
sexdwarf

Post by sexdwarf »

rohit507 wrote:Thanks for the help, i also wanted to know if there are other ways outside of pspsdk to wirte for the psp. Thanks for you help
obviously there are - the first homebrews were written without it... but the SDK provides a neat library to interface with the PSP easily...it makes life easier to code specifically for the PSP...
...isn't it nice, sugar and spice...
...luring disco dollies to a life of vice...
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

Lego of my Ago!
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

Thanks to Shine, there's now an alternative - http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=2682. It's much easier to use than C, but at the moment you can't do 3d stuff.
-ReK