OpenGL Wrapper on PSP?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Raeldor

OpenGL Wrapper on PSP?

Post by Raeldor »

Is there, or will there be an OpenGL wrapper for the 3d functionality on the PSP? Is anyone working on such a project?

Thanks
ector

Post by ector »

Such a thing could be written. I don't know of anyone doing it so go ahead, it would be useful.
grp

Post by grp »

Maybe not OpenGL, but OpenGL ES. Will be much easier to implement.

- grp
KaL

Post by KaL »

The libGU already looks like openGL (with no Matrix manipulation lib - which is libGUM, not released yet by pspdev -) I don't think that an openGL implementation would be really useful. But, why not ?
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

An OpenGL implementation would be most useful for porting. SDL is usable in it's current state, meaning games can just be compiled for psp, and work with minimal changes - OpenGL would make that apply to 3d stuff sa well. In theory, anyway...
-ReK
KaL

Post by KaL »

I don't remember if any of the GL implementations on PS2 helped porting projects..
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

KaL wrote:I don't remember if any of the GL implementations on PS2 helped porting projects..
DreamGL, it was the homebrew Ps2 port of OpenGL. did the basics the the project closed in version v0.02 i believe. the guy got a life pretty much. but its still usualble. i also believe there is someone working on a psp port. but the code or syntax is completely different, its suppose to be a opengl like api. but so far by the looks of it, it looks like its own 3d psp api.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
rinco

Post by rinco »

KaL wrote:I don't remember if any of the GL implementations on PS2 helped porting projects..
LuaGL and ODE port with little effort using the DreamGL implementation.

But looking beyond DreamGL... anyone got Mesa compiled yet?
jsgf

Working on it

Post by jsgf »

I have Mesa compiled and running; I've started writing a GU/GE-based driver backend for acceleration.

I was thinking about making it OpenGL/ES, but full OpenGL fits. Without any cutting back, libGL.a is about 2Mbytes, which is probably a bit fat... Certainly the ES subset will run efficiently (doing everything as vertex arrays is a good match for GU).
Warren

Post by Warren »

OpenGL/Es I think woudl be the best for PSP as it's what OpenGL/ES was designed for and it's what's supported on the PS3 so people might as well get a start on it now.
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

if you know your stuff, and you want to do it, then i say go for it, we could really use an OpenGL like api for the psp.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
jboldiga

Post by jboldiga »

I have to second the OpenGL/ES idea...PS3 is using it and it will greatly benefit us to have gfx code that we can quickly port. OpenGL is a lil' too bloated for PSP IMHO.
jsgf

Post by jsgf »

Obviously I'm going to concentrate on the parts of OpenGL which are actually accelerated on the PSP, and that subset will look a lot like OpenGL/ES. Since /ES is a pretty strict subset of full OpenGL, it will be easy to clean things up into a strict ES implementation if that's what people really want.

But OpenGL/ES has a fair number of missing calls compared to full OpenGL (no glBegin/End/Vertex, for example), which means you have to port to it rather than just recompile. It may be that people really want to run real OpenGL code without having to convert it all to vertex arrays...
rinco

Post by rinco »

I have submitted TinyGL to svn.

TinyGL is a software renderer that is much smaller than Mesa.

I used a version that has sdl support:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sdl-tinygl
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

very nice, havnt tried compiling it yet, but looks very similar too ogl. i've notice the folders says gp32-x so is this a psp implementation or a gp32 implementation?
rinco

Post by rinco »

I believe it was gp32 hackers that patched SDL support into this version of TinyGL.

But if you type 'make' you will get a psp build.
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

i tried, few linker errors i believe, if you happen to manage to compile it to a pbp would you mind posting an example online?