Lib_PSP_OSK

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

PacManFan

Lib_PSP_OSK

Post by PacManFan »

Howdy everyone,

I wanted to gauge interest in a library I'm working on. It's called PSP OSK (on screen keyboard). I wasn't sure where to post, here or in the SDK section, I hacked together an on screen keyboard this morning, and it's working fairly well. I'd like to see this, or something like this as a replacement for the PSP's built-in OSK.

The API I coded is fairly simple:
#include "psposk.h"
xmain(){
char str[256];
osk_Initiliaze();
osk_GetString(str,256);
osk_ShutDown();
}

Here's a screen shot. I'll post code if someone's interested.

L8r,

-PMF
"I'm a little source code, short and stout
Here is my input, here is my out."

Author of PSPQuake and PSPSOne.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

For the love of everything ... what is wrong with the PSP's builtin OSK that everyone wants to avoid using it??

Maybe my thinking is flawed because I don't have all the time in the world to reinvent everything :P.
Mangus

Post by Mangus »

looks nice pmf, i say post the code, maybe this could be designed to only cover a section of the screen so that if used in apps that require frequent typing it would still be possible to view the previous screen, like in a Web browser
liquid8d

Post by liquid8d »

I agree.. the builtin keyboard is goofy... the VNC keyboard is pretty nice. I was thinking about my first project being a few test inputs, like some keyboards, or up/down letter scroller inputs... 'dasher' was mentioned in another post, but i don't think it would be quite right for PSP. Using analog with an up/down scroller might not be so bad because you can scroll quicker to get to a far away letter. Might do some work on this...

LiQuiD8d
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

CGA text is cool and all, just, i dunno... how about some graphics and decent looking fonts? ;-)

PS. Just use the built in keyboard, it will make all applications function the same way, the way its intended to.
27Bstroke6

Post by 27Bstroke6 »

The issue of acceptable text input mechanisms is tied very tightly to what sorts of applications are expected on the hardware (and the availability of switches, buttons, etc.)

The phone-keypad (not even T9) standard interface of the PSP is (barely) adequate to enter names and occasional labels. But if people plan to be using the PSP for creating full length posts, sending conventional e-mail, and the many other text-intensive applications currently being worked on, that keyboard is utterly inadequate.

I'm promoting "Dasher" as a "power" interface candidate that could operate totally from the analog pad, and of course there are other choices as well. But the built-in keyboard doesn't even get out of the starting gate.
Hippo

Post by Hippo »

Just got done playing around with Dasher.. wow. It's great! I, too, promote it. o_O
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

Just something that may be of interest... when I was running linux on my ipaq, I found the FITALY keyboard layout made typing much easier. There's more information on http://www.fitaly.com. Qwerty is okay if you have both hands to use (dvorak for me!) but fitaly is probably more appropriate for something like this.
-ReK
liquid8d

Post by liquid8d »

hmm.. that FITALY actually looks like it could be quite nice. At first it looks odd, but after a minute or so, it seems like it would be quite practical.

LiQuiD8d
Danj

Post by Danj »

mrbrown wrote:For the love of everything ... what is wrong with the PSP's builtin OSK that everyone wants to avoid using it??
Because it's laid out like a phone text entry system, but without two features that make phone text entry usable - T9 predictive text, and automatically moving to the next letter after a short delay. On the PSP, if you want to type an "n" and then an "o" you can't just type "n", wait, and then hit it twice to get "o", you have to do "n", then the right arrow button, and then finally "o".
Dan Jackson
27Bstroke6

Post by 27Bstroke6 »

The Fitaly system has considerable merit. And T9 is certainly an improvement over a straight phone keypad (still not really practical for other than shortish texts though). However, both Fitaly and T9 are patented and licensed systems; they are not free to implement or use, unlike Dasher, which is free, and some other choices that would likewise not have licensing restrictions and/or charges. Getting encumbered with an input system that is not freely usable would not be a good idea.
liquid8d

Post by liquid8d »

can you really patent what order keys are put in?? I wonder... I guess it is getting to that point.

LiQuiD8d
27Bstroke6

Post by 27Bstroke6 »

Yep, you sure can patent this sort of stuff, and that's not the half of it. The U.S. patent system is completely unable to reasonably deal with technology-related patents these days. However, that's not really a topic for here. Bottom line is that many of these systems are patented and licensed and as such should be avoided for PSP homebrew development.
KaL

Post by KaL »

I've seen somewhere a video of a guy typing on a PSP Keyboard (looked like the Logic3 one).. Used font was the nem's one, as in many many projects here. I really wonder which funcs he used to read the keyboard inputs.. :/
Phour20

Post by Phour20 »

Yep, you sure can patent this sort of stuff, and that's not the half of it. The U.S. patent system is completely unable to reasonably deal with technology-related patents these days. However, that's not really a topic for here. Bottom line is that many of these systems are patented and licensed and as such should be avoided for PSP homebrew development.
Are you sure.. Im not sure the patent itself would be on the layout, my guess would be on the product itself.. Just think almost all keyboards use QWERTY so how could that be.. I would think maybe w/ the layout of the board and the extra keys it may or may not have.. But again I do understand this is off topic but Im sorry, I had to put in my 2c..

as far as the fitaly layout, never seen that til 2day.. does seem it layed out nicely for a one-hand typer.. (wish i had one of this for when Im working.. typing one handed on my laptop between stoplights is pretty hard and time consuming.. :) )
liquid8d

Post by liquid8d »

here's the patent for anyone interested;

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Pars ... &RS=fitaly

it's the same thing as patenting QWERTY.. its based off of a calculation for most used letters. They even cover the option to rearrange them.

Whatever :/ Tecnically, it doesn't cover virtual keyboards, unless using a pen.

At any rate, I am going to play around this weekend with a few ideas, keyboard and otherwise.
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

Regarding the patent on fitaly, the opie project (http://opie.familiar.org have been using it as one of their keyboard layouts for a while, and they've been able to get away with it...

Regarding the phone input method, to danj in particular: Try using the shoulder buttons instead of the dpad to advance the cursor - using that I found text input mostly bearable. But inputting a 128bit wep key still sucks.
-ReK
27Bstroke6

Post by 27Bstroke6 »

The holder of a patent may choose to sue -- or not -- on a case by case basis. These interface design patents are usually drawn up in such a way that they are relatively hardware independent -- a virtual keyboard would likely fall within the same claims.

Here's what happened when a firm got sued by Tegic, the holders of the T9 patent, for example:

http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom ... 39,00.html

Patents can be worth big bucks.
Mangus

Post by Mangus »

well to get back on topic will you be releasing this nice little qwerty osk for us pmf?