WinPSP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

madc

WinPSP

Post by madc »

There seems to be a customized OS for PSP. Screenshots:

http://www.sonyscene.com/winpsp/
or
http://yaleh.blogspot.com/2005/07/index-of-winpsp.html
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

Seems like BS if you ask me. Why would there need to be a 'POST' screen before it goes into the OS? Obviously its just a joke, since the POST screen comes on because of the BIOS chipset that is installed on the computer mother-board. I find it highly unlikely that a PSP OS would need this screen.

Not to mention, there are no Primary Master, Primary Slave, etc devices on the PSP. The PSP doesn't support IDE...

Look at the memory... 320,000 (L?) The PSP has only 32 MEGS of main memory. And 4 megabytes of DRAM. Neither of which add up to 320,000(L). 32 Megs in Kilobytes would be 32,000. And 32 Megs in Bytes would be 32,000,000. The only possible means would be a 100-Byte, (Centibyte maybe?) and that has never been used in computers as far as I can tell...

Also, look at the screenshots of the actual Desktop. Would anyone really need 5 icons for ARKANOID?

It is total BS...
chaos

Post by chaos »

what's shown here would be fairly simple to create.. a graphical launcher program is well within the possibilities of what can already be done.. obviously, it couldn't replace the psp's original os at this point, but a gui launcher program could be written. you could even put a fake bios screen when it starts, as a joke..
Chaosmachine Studios: High Quality Homebrew.
Danj

Post by Danj »

There are advantages to having a "launcher" program (though I do think it's a bit silly that they felt the need to put a fake BIOS screen on it, and they might get in trouble for using trademarked logos like the Energy Star and Award BIOS logo). Firstly it would mean that you wouldn't need to have two folders for every homebrew app, you would just have two for the launcher (so that you can start it) and then from within the launcher you can access your homebrew apps. Secondly, maybe they can add some more features to it like some sort of file manager for example. Anyway it will be interesting to see what comes of this.
Dan Jackson

Post by Guest »

This topic is on the track to "Hall of Shame"...I am being nice enough to let a little more discussion on it first, but that won't necessarily prevent other moderators from moving it first...
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

lmfao, if you actually beleive thats true. its obvious just a picture, because if it really was "real" then it would be all over the psp comunity. haha this is so fake, but did give me a kick out of it. =D
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Danj

Post by Danj »

Thanhda wrote:lmfao, if you actually beleive thats true. its obvious just a picture, because if it really was "real" then it would be all over the psp comunity. haha this is so fake, but did give me a kick out of it. =D
I seem to recall the same things being said about the 1.50 swap trick, and look what happened with that. Can you say with any certainty that it is absolutely impossible to create a launcher program/graphical front end which provides a desktop from which homebrew apps can be launched? Note that I am not suggesting that this application would replace the PSP's own operating system/kernel, since that is clearly bunk, but are there really any technical reasons why such a utility could not exist? If there aren't, it might be worth reconsidering your speedy denouncement until further evidence (or lack of same) becomes available.
Dan Jackson
almazlamaz

Post by almazlamaz »

looks fake to me :/
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

Danj, if it is true, why does he need 5 Arkanoid game icons on the new desktop? Not to mention, wouldn't the new OS not allow that to be so? I do not really know about Linux, but I know Windows wouldn't allow it and DOS wouldn't allow it.

It is obviously a picture that he made and copied and pasted those icons to the desktop and just about everything else you see on there. It is all fake.

Is it possible to make an OS that runs over the existing PSP OS? Probably. The Media Center and SNES 9x both have 'operating system-like' folder browsing. But has it been made yet? Doubt it.

If he has enough of the code to make it run and have a mouse cursor(probably analog stick?), a pop-up keyboard, and some menus, then certainly he'd have SOMETHING to put up to show us.

Also, his Blog contains absolutely no written information, save his Chinese signature before his name. Which doesn't tell us anything about what he has done. I would take it a person looking to really make a PSP OS would have talked about his/her progress at least a little bit...
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

/me wonders if they lisenced the AWARD bios?
imho, thats the biggest giveaway.
Damn, I need a decent signature!

Post by Guest »

cheriff wrote:/me wonders if they lisenced the AWARD bios?
imho, thats the biggest giveaway.
Indeed. It is more likely they reversed an Award BIOS firmware for x86 and ported it to the MIPS architecture in order to directly support the unique hardware devices of the PSP.

Wait.

Anyhow, I decided not to close this thread because it is more entertaining this way. :)
chaos

Post by chaos »

guest is my favorite moderator ;p
MSX

Post by MSX »

First off, I'd like to introduce myself to you guys...well, actually, it's not introduction, just telling you who I am.

I'm beta testing WinPSP, I took the pics, and I uploaded them to my site also...I've taken them down @ the request of Fluff (dev).

I'd like to let you know the first public beta will be released in 1 to 2 weeks, and the delay is noted below...because as of now the app icons/launching feature isn't currently coded. The Arkanoid icons are real, and they are draggable/renameable, but they don't lead to any actual apps.

I've posted this on DCEmu's PSP boards, but I guess someone else took the liberty of posting it here, so here's my original thread from DCEmu:
Hi there guys,

Just wanted to inform you that I'm currently beta testing WinPSP, an OS for PSP.

I've taken some pics with my digital cam, but it sucks (sorry). Fluff (the dev) is going to code in a screen dump so you can get better pics of it.

Pics here: http://sonyscene.com/winpsp/

What's working right now:
- Dragging icons
- Renaming icons
- Virtual keyboard
- Mouse (controlled by analog stick)
- "right-click" style menus on icons and desktop when pressing triangle.

The current menu that pops up when clicking icons has the following options:
- Load Program
- Rename
- Change Icon
- Rescan
- Uninstall

Edit: Pics removed, since most of the public is calling BS...we will blow you away in 1-2 weeks with a public release .

Enjoy!
Now, on to the replies to your posts:

F9zDark - The BIOS screen is actually a joke, no, not a fake pic, but a joke in the app, which leads to the next thing you said: the PSP doesn't support IDE. Of course it doesn't, so if you would have actually looked at what it said after the Primary Master/Slave, Secondary Master/Slave, you would have gotten the joke. Secondary Master is Fluff (dev), note the Secondary Slave, ps2dev...a joke. There are 5 icons for Arkanoid because as of the time I took the pics, the icons were there for "show".

Guest(1) - I'm not sure why this would go into the "Hall of Shame", because WinPSP is 100% real.

Thanhda - I'm amazed at your ignorance...you were probably one of the people saying "swaploit for 1.5, that's fake". And I'm sure you will be one of the same people going "OMG! it was real!".

Danj - I'm glad to see at least someone with a little sense.

almazlamaz - Sorry for the "crappy" digital cam pics...I'm looking eBay for a Canon Powershot A80 as we speak.

F9zDark(2) - Arkanoid thing explained earlier; I'm also amazed at your quick and blunt dismissal of WinPSP, but, you are entitled to your (wrong) opinion. As noted above, this isn't actually an OS, it is a dash, like the dashes released for the Xbox. Yes, the analog stick works with mouse cursor. Also, that's not my blog, I'm not sure who it belongs to either.

cheriff - As noted above also, the BIOS screen is a dev joke.

Guest (mod not logged in?) - I'm glad you decided not to close this, but I'm puzzled at why it's "entertaining"...well, I guess it would be if WinPSP was fake.

Please feel free to post anymore questions, I will do my best to answer them.
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

MSX wrote:Everything.
Well now that I have some information on this program it seems that I can put a little more faith into it. Many a time have I seen 'just pictures' without any information.

I will with-hold further opinions until I see the program up for download.
sq377

Post by sq377 »

sweet, I was just actaully trying to make a crappy loader for programs, (end swaploit) but can't wait for this :D.
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

MSX: Fair enough. :)
I think what threw everyone (myself included) is how it was introduced as "a customized OS for PSP" Since it'a a launcher/graphical browser/etc then by all means, congrats to the Devs. I just tend to think of an OS as the kernel system services, not any higher layers (gui, for instance)
I do believe this is needed, especially if it can load n launch from pc, without touching the psp can do wonders for the test/debug/fix dev cycle.
Damn, I need a decent signature!
CoreCZ

Post by CoreCZ »

Winpsp is indeed real, Looking at a name change though , And I also have it, its at a very beta stage it doesnt do much yet but very cool.
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

Danj wrote:
Thanhda wrote:lmfao, if you actually beleive thats true. its obvious just a picture, because if it really was "real" then it would be all over the psp comunity. haha this is so fake, but did give me a kick out of it. =D
I seem to recall the same things being said about the 1.50 swap trick, and look what happened with that. Can you say with any certainty that it is absolutely impossible to create a launcher program/graphical front end which provides a desktop from which homebrew apps can be launched? Note that I am not suggesting that this application would replace the PSP's own operating system/kernel, since that is clearly bunk, but are there really any technical reasons why such a utility could not exist? If there aren't, it might be worth reconsidering your speedy denouncement until further evidence (or lack of same) becomes available.
well listen, if they had a video, then more believable. if they have just pictures then no one will obviously believe it. Yes its definetly possible. actuatlly very posible. but i dont believe this pic because theres no video accompanied with it.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

to MSX: actually i thought it was real. so dont start pointing accusations. i dont say your thing isnt posible. but please show us some proof with a video. i'm glad you came down here to explain yourself. but you got to understand, that people really believe in stuff that they cant see. theres been many fakes out there, but very few real stuff. you have to understand that. it just seem like a joke, with that bios screen going on. no one could take it seriously.
Last edited by Thanhda on Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
dasurfrdude27

Post by dasurfrdude27 »

when i try to view the videos it says forbidden... can this problem be fix or can someone email them to me at dasurfrdude27 -at- gmail.com thank you!
MSX

Post by MSX »

Thanhda wrote:to MSX: actually i thought it was real. so dont start pointing accusations. i dont say your thing isnt posible. but please show us some proof with a video. i'm glad you came down here to explain yourself. but you got to understand, that people really believe in stuff that they cant see. theres been many fakes out there, but very few real stuff. you have to understand that. it just seem like a joke, with that bios screen going on. no one could take it seriously.
Don't accuse you of saying it was fake...because you thought it was real?
Hm, I guess I did read that wrong...

If my digital camera could take videos, then I would make one and upload it for you guys to see, but it doesn't. This is what happens when lamers post fake pictures, no one believes the real stuff. Look, honestly, I have no interest in deceiving ps2dev, dc-emu, or any other PSP news reporting site...distrust if you would like, but I assure you it's real.

By the way: I just purchased a Canon Powershot A80 off of eBay this morning...waiting for a payment to my PayPal account so I can pay for it and have it shipped to me. If the beta isn't out by the time it gets here, I'll take and post better quality pics and a video.
chaos

Post by chaos »

so.. i was right :P

you guys are too sceptical.
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

It is better to be skeptical at first and then be let down, than to put full faith into something and be let down.

Not to mention, the PSP's abilty to show images makes for all sorts of fake images to be shown as legit software.

As I said, I will wait until I see the program, or more definitive proof.

Also, MSX, if you don't mind me asking, what is the current space that it takes up on the memory card?
MSX

Post by MSX »

F9zDark, I don't mind, please feel free to ask all the questions you'd like, and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Right now it takes up a bit over 1MB on the memory stick.
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

Not bad. Maybe I don't have to get a 3rd memory stick just yet ;).

Also, is there any media support or planned media support?
MSX

Post by MSX »

Sorry, you'll have to wait until the public beta for an answer to that.
greenlase

Post by greenlase »

news? anyone?
yes... new account... but I've been here the whole time.
ironlung

two weeks - bump!

Post by ironlung »

On July 6th, MSX stated beta in 1-2 weeks. It is July 21st now and I just wanted to bump this thread and see where the project is at.
[will cross fingers for homebrew]
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

Well he is already overdue and the little credability I held to him after he responded to us is slowly dwindling away.

NanoX seems like the only WinPSP we'll see, since its already out as beta...
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Its nothing more than a bunch of graphics with a mouse cursor. Its not an OS nor as far as i know an API for applications, so really its just a toy.