MIPS Resources?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

marco0009

MIPS Resources?

Post by marco0009 »

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good MIPS coding resources. I know C++ pretty well, but assembly is foreign to me and I'm eager to learn more about the PSP and the work going on with it right now. If anyone knows of any decent websites or books detailing MIPS, please post.

Thanks.
chaos

Post by chaos »

mips assembly is not a friendly language.. even the official documentation will tell you that it wasn't designed for coding in, and you'd be better off using a compiler..

if you want to learn assembly, start with something easy. maybe get yourself an 8051 kit.. or just regular old x86..

anyway, here is a pdf.

http://www.mips.com/content/PressRoom/T ... Manual.pdf
Chaosmachine Studios: High Quality Homebrew.

Post by Guest »

Warren

Post by Warren »

chaos wrote:mips assembly is not a friendly language.. even the official documentation will tell you that it wasn't designed for coding in, and you'd be better off using a compiler..
I'd like to know what you're smoking. I learned ASM on MIPS and it's a damn site easier than hand coding x86 ASM. You have to have a working knowledge of ASM for the platform you're coding for in order to be a decent developer (unless you're one of those people who feels that using a debugger is for lesser people and instead stick billions of printfs in your code).

Anyway, sorry for the rant but I had to cut down this FUD before going to bed.

Post by Guest »

Well, I do have to agree with Warren. Before MIPS, the last time I did assembly was 6502 about 20 years ago. MIPS was a breeze to pickup. It really is easy. I took at peek at x86 and...ran...

Oh yes, did a touch of VAX assembly in college, but nevermind that... it wasn't terribly useful.

One neat trick for beginners is to write very small c/c++ programs and use gcc -S to see the ASM output, but I daresay its hardly necessary.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Warren wrote:
chaos wrote:mips assembly is not a friendly language.. even the official documentation will tell you that it wasn't designed for coding in, and you'd be better off using a compiler..
I'd like to know what you're smoking. I learned ASM on MIPS and it's a damn site easier than hand coding x86 ASM. You have to have a working knowledge of ASM for the platform you're coding for in order to be a decent developer (unless you're one of those people who feels that using a debugger is for lesser people and instead stick billions of printfs in your code).
Indeed, they taught us MIPS asm in college, and this was waaay back in 2000.
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

http://www.computing.dcu.ie/~ray/CA225b.html

This looks good, I'm reading through it now.

-ReK