psp-dev have released their exploit for ver. 1.5

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

inomine

Post by inomine »

StriderA wrote:who's going to be the first one to try and kill their psp by flashing down to 1.0?
I nominate you :P
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

th0mas wrote:personally I would not use this as an everyday method of running code. Wait until someone comes out with something akin to reflashing your 1.5 psp to a 1.0, I guess.
just use the pspe to run your code then.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
MDave

Post by MDave »

pspe dosn't contain psp firmware :P
Klimru

Post by Klimru »

I'd be glad to test.

*Goes back to playing Excite Bike on 1.5 NES emu...*
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

MDave wrote:pspe dosn't contain psp firmware :P
you can still test your code on it, i haven written several small test and it works just find on pspe. including the voxel 3d terrain.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
etx

Post by etx »

I'll test the downgrade if someone writes it and really thinks it will work. I have a 6 month warranty on it. ;)
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

etx wrote:I'll test the downgrade if someone writes it and really thinks it will work. I have a 6 month warranty on it. ;)
you do realize that sony does not cover any third party damages to your psp. by attepting to downgrade your psp, you already void your waranty, and will be left with some flashy looking paper weight.
heresy0

Post by heresy0 »

Actually, warranties from places like CompUSA do conver that. For example, my xbox modchip slipped off and shorted my LAN connection, so I got a new xbox for free.
byg

Post by byg »

heresy0 wrote:Actually, warranties from places like CompUSA do conver that. For example, my xbox modchip slipped off and shorted my LAN connection, so I got a new xbox for free.
This is going a little OT, but...

I would say they didn't check your Xbox properly, or you never told them exactly what happened. Opening up the case and poking around would definitely invalidate your warranty. Unless they specifically offer an extended service plan to cover something like this (usually for a charge).
Modasi Games : www.modasi.com
chaos

Post by chaos »

if they don't ask why it stopped working, you don't have to tell them. not like they care anyway. ;)
Chaosmachine Studios: High Quality Homebrew.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Its still wrong.

Please drop the subject.
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

[a bunch of unimportant babble that didn't resemble dropping it at all]
EdZ

Post by EdZ »

Well, I'm glad I kept the original 32mb MS that came with the PSP! It finally has a use.
Techit

Post by Techit »

I have not been keeping up to date on the PSP exploits and I don't get the whole swaping the sticks thing... Could some one give a little step by step thing? Also am I missing something or wtf is the password for the .pdf files for the MSwap tool?
Techit.org
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

Techit wrote:I have not been keeping up to date on the PSP exploits and I don't get the whole swaping the sticks thing... Could some one give a little step by step thing? Also am I missing something or wtf is the password for the .pdf files for the MSwap tool?
up to date? it was just launch today,

check out http://www.psp-hacks.com/

quote from site:

1. Download any homebrew app/game
2. Load up the MSwap Tool
3. Select the EBOOT.PBP you wish to use
4. Select an Output directory
5. Click “Generate files”
6. You’re now left with two directories - MS1 and MS2
7. Copy the EBOOT.PBP from the MS1 directory to your first memory stick (MS) - X:\PSP\GAME\<SOME DIR>
8. Remove the first MS and insert the second
9. Copy the EBOOT.PBP from the MS2 directory into X:\PSP\GAME\<SAME DIR AS SPECIFIED ABOVE>”
10. Remove MS2 and insert MS1
11. Go to the Game menu on your PSP and select Memory Stick
12. Select the PSP-Dev Launcher
13. The moment PSP logo screen comes on, swap memory sticks
14. Vola! You’re playing homebrew on your 1.50 PSP!
Techit

Post by Techit »

alright thanks! I mean up to date as in... anything... reading these forums. Any ways thanks all I needed.

And it works! Cool. Now is it good for your PSP to swtich out the sticks like that?
Techit.org
chaos

Post by chaos »

i'm going out to get a second stick.. i wonder what kind of spike there will be in memory stick sales this week ;)

anyway, my plan is to dump my 1.5 and compare it to the 1.0 dump.. if the differences are trivial, i may be able to put together a patch.. or i might end up with a brick ;p
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

chaos wrote:i'm going out to get a second stick.. i wonder what kind of spike there will be in memory stick sales this week ;)

anyway, my plan is to dump my 1.5 and compare it to the 1.0 dump.. if the differences are trivial, i may be able to put together a patch.. or i might end up with a brick ;p
go on ebay, you can get them for much cheaper.
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

Techit wrote:alright thanks! I mean up to date as in... anything... reading these forums. Any ways thanks all I needed.

And it works! Cool. Now is it good for your PSP to swtich out the sticks like that?
no it will not, the only time it will mess it up, is if you remove stick while writting to the MS. Reading is okay. plus after it launches it doesnt read the MS until after it fade out, or goes black.
Interlude

Post by Interlude »

I think people (especially the technically uninclined) are giving those psp-dev guys far too much credit. They simply "stumbled" upon the swap trick. If you examine the PBP files you can see quite clearly that there is no special exploit code at all. Anyone playing around with PBP unpacker could have discovered this "exploit" with no coding experience. The MS1 PBP is simply stripped of the data.psp file (the actual homebrew program) and the MS2 PBP is just the data.psp file from the original PBP file.

Where is the ingenious exploit code? It is nowhere to be found because it doesn't exist. I give them credit for stumbling onto the swap trick, but they shouldn't be viewed as great hackers or programmers. It actually pisses me off that they made us wait for something so trivial.

Don't get me wrong, I believe this is a great step forward for PSP development, but I would rather think of this swap trick as a way to run utilities (i.e memory or firmware tools) on the v1.5 PSP in order to create a better way to run unsigned code.
Techit

Post by Techit »

Cool thanks for the info. You do have to be fast at switching though. jeez
Techit.org
quedijo

Post by quedijo »

Imma have to agree with Interlude...

Dozens, if not hundreds of people have been trying this and that and this and that, to no avail. As he said in his interview he was going to quit that day if nothing came up... he was shooting at all angles, I was also, but I didn't get nuttin, he did.

Like Interlude, don't think i'm saying this is stupid or anything, it's great, I'm going to try the dump tonite... but I don't want to be doing it every single time I want to play EMU's.

This can logically be explained: (LOGICALLY being the word here, NOT Technically)

The PBP file we know is a package of (MAIN FILES) SFO, PNG, PSP, PSAR. Since the file you "LOAD" is ONLY the PNG and SFO it is corret to the eyes of the PSP [no DATA.PSP or DATA.PSAR to compare].

The card you replace it to, to access the EBOOT.PBP is in the exact location (directory wize, not sector) and exact name as the "LOADER" except that when it starts processing the code of the supposedly EBOOT.PBP (DATA.PSP) it knows what to do with it.

Now, an exploit would be to work on this as a foundation, figure out how to fool the OS to [insert idea here]. I will, and many more out there, keep on trying other methods *SIMILAR* to this or *WITH* this. Hope it come soon. :P
`^~${NONO}$~^`
"it's Not Joey, It's Noe!"
Cogboy

Post by Cogboy »

granted i've only tried 3 different apps, but but i get i good ten seconds or so to do the switch. i havn't had trouble doing it at all. launch file, remove stick while splash vid is playing, vid pauses on last frame for about ten seconds, fades black. even if i replace the second stick just after it goes black it still launches fine.
I havn't tried waiting longer yet, and i don't know if other apps would behave any differently, though i can't see why the hell it would cause there isn't anything special about the launch file. they are exactly the same except for the title.
"the sony PSP was built by god, to determine who on earth had the best skills to defeat the armies of satan" - Saint Peter.
dsltech_dude

Generator Problems...

Post by dsltech_dude »

I got all the emulators to work except generator. It freezes on the white loading screen, then my PSP shuts down. I even got the SNES emu to work. It's been setup the same as all other apps on the MS. Do the ROMs have to have separate folder? Or will the emu directory work? Help me please! I miss my SEGA!

Thanks,

DSLTech_Dude
Powercycle, powercycle, powercycle!
chaos

Post by chaos »

well, you guys probably won't believe this, but i got hit by a car on my way to go get another memory stick!.. my bike got totalled. :\ she is going to pay to replace it.. but i never did get a memory stick ;\
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

chaos wrote:well, you guys probably won't believe this, but i got hit by a car on my way to go get another memory stick!.. my bike got totalled. :\ she is going to pay to replace it.. but i never did get a memory stick ;\
o_O; hope you werent hurt too bad, why didnt you SUE! lol jk. but you should have ask her to buy to a 2 gig stick and pay for your bike, so no cops would get involved. haha.
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

wow an update already. appearently it will allow snes to work. Also comes with a linux version. yah!
download at http://www.psp-hacks.com/downloads/mswa ... sp-dev.rar
Techit

Post by Techit »

So where are the roms/games for it?
Techit.org
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

Techit wrote:So where are the roms/games for it?
thats up to you to find out. roms are illegal, and can get ban for discussing it.
Techit

Post by Techit »

eh .. well... wasnt sure if they were the same as for other emulators.
Techit.org