Firmware Update

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Vampire

Firmware Update

Post by Vampire »

Last edited by Vampire on Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:46 pm, edited 10 times in total.
chaos

Post by chaos »

word has it that the us 1.51 files are byte-for-byte identical to the jp 1.51 files.
Chaosmachine Studios: High Quality Homebrew.
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

chaos wrote:word has it that the us 1.51 files are byte-for-byte identical to the jp 1.51 files.
the kr 1.51 files also
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

as expected from the md5 digest in the directory name ;-)
loser

Post by loser »

so are the O and X buttons still swapped between US and JAP?

eg
jap: O = selcet, X=back
us: X = select, O = back?

if not where does it store this?!
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

It seems button configuration and UMD movie region lock are stored elsewhere...
later,

Alcahest
cable16

Post by cable16 »

Button config might be game-specific. When a game is translated to english, they probably just switch around O and X.
oki

Post by oki »

cable16 your right. i have a jap psp and when i play us games X the main button. and when i play jap or is in the firm O is.
ckinni

Post by ckinni »

Ok, so im sorry here, but I just don't understand why they waited to release this in the US and KR. So this means that there must be some kind of vulnurability in 1.5 I assume, but why did they release it later in the US and KR?

I guess it could be because JP will get all beta firmware updates just because if it all goes to hell, only 1 of the 3 regions will have the problem. So is it because the JP psps will always be used to test, or is there some other reason why they waited to give the update.

Thanks for the clarification in advance.
nntb

Post by nntb »

any word yet on what "security update" actually does? like a readme file from sony or a comment from a sony rep?
chaos

Post by chaos »

if i was going to make a guess, i'd say it probably limits what the wipeout browser can access. anyway, no reason to install this, obviously.
Chaosmachine Studios: High Quality Homebrew.
RATiX

Post by RATiX »

About the O and X buttons..

They are stored in the game software for the in-game controls.. but what about when you want to navigate through the XMB?? Japan has O for Yes and X for No, while NA has X for Yes and O for No. Maybe they're stored in the same place where UMD region locking is stored?? (Inaccessible areas??)
th0mas

Post by th0mas »

or the firmware does something like

switch (PSP's ID or some derivation thereof)
case (japan psp serial number) :
we're region 1 (or whatever), o means this, x means that

case (us psp serial number)
we're region 2, ....

case (...)

so the firmware remains the same and handles switching the feel of the psp based on the psp's id, which probably contains enough info to know if it's japan or us model.
Arakon

Post by Arakon »

that's pretty much how the xbox dashboard handles it.. dashboards are identical across regions, but if the eeprom setting is NTSC, it will offer hdtv options, if it's PAL, it will offer PAL-60 option, for example.
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

hk/sg and tw are also identical
steddy

Post by steddy »

Ahhh... so thats why my main menu is 'O' for OK but the game menus are 'X' for OK. I have all US games on a JAP PSP, I thought this was dumb Sony design.

I have a theory about the movie region. Maybe the unique hardware ID that is stored in DATA2.BIN (see the exploit thread on the Wipeout Downloads) actually tells it the region.

On Windows Mobile devices, the unique hardware ID tells you information such as the the manufacturer and model. Maybe Sony do the same.

There is source code in the thread mentioned above to dump your hardware ID given a DATA2.BIN file. Maybe we could do this across PSP's from different regions and see if anything is common.

The DATA2.BIN is created when a profile is loaded or created in Wipeout Pure. Its obvious this isn't the original source of the hardware ID, but is just placed there for convenience for games (so don't bother trying to change it).

Steddy
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

I dont think the update does anything with the Wipeout Hack. I installed the update and then tried going online, works like it always did. Of course, I am not a network guru and I didn't test anything that could have been going on in the background, but it still worked.

If anything, I'd think it probably had to deal with the same issues that made them release the 1.5 update. But then again, there might have been security issues with the Ad Hoc mode of the PSP. Its not something I have even touched since I got it, so I can't be too sure about that.
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

1.52 is out
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

# It reached the point where it can play back the UMD Music [ with the music ] in the home menu.

# The security of the system software was strengthened.
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

1.52 is now out in us and kr also
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

2.00 is now out in jp and kr