PS3 and PSP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

engstrom

PS3 and PSP

Post by engstrom »

From the Sony Press Conference at E3.

"The PSP will be a major bonus for PS3 owners. You can have remote access to your PS3 from your PSP, and you can even use a Wi-Fi connection within PS3 to use your PSP as a controller for a PS3 game."
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

why would anyone want to use a $300 controller. just for wireless controller. o_O;
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Cogboy

Post by Cogboy »

because they already have one and its cool.
"the sony PSP was built by god, to determine who on earth had the best skills to defeat the armies of satan" - Saint Peter.
Histo

Post by Histo »

I belive he also said something about using it as a remote screen.

*watching it again*
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Have you seen the pictures of the standard PS3 controller?

I'd much rather use a psp than a boomerang.
GeKKo

Post by GeKKo »

Yep the standart Controller is so ugly that I wait for the first Logitech Controller :D.
Till than I use my PSP.

EDIT: Uhmm at a closer look to the Controller it seems that the Analog Sticks are the same as the Analog Stick at the PSP. Ok its good for a Portable Playstation but PS3?
EDIT2: Is the Playstation3 Font the same as the Spiderman2 font?
soBAYwidit510

Post by soBAYwidit510 »

Not a 300$ remote for me, i got mine for 150 AND a free game.. NEVER PAY RETAIL..
ima hustla,

ask about me,

ask about me.

aim:soBAYwidit 510
email: [email protected]
sq377

Post by sq377 »

the system is close to 500 itself. Prices were on digg.
MindWall

Post by MindWall »

hey just think how you can play Final Fantasy XIII (or any other "big" game for PS3) right from work/bus/school/shopping with wife... etc. via wifi on your PSP =)

shopping for dresses will never bi the same! ;)
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

yeah i saw the controller. it may look mess up, but i wouldnt like mashing my controller up when playing games on the ps3. i'd rather mess up the wierd looking controller.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
nntb

Post by nntb »

i watched it 2 times... i could sware when he was talking about the psp he said it could be used as a remote screen as well alowing you to play from anyware in the house..
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

Yeah he said that the psp could be used as a remote screen, if that is true thats absolutely awesome :)
Kung VU
Effayy

Post by Effayy »

As much as the remote screen idea is awesome, I'm disappointed that from what I've seen for the PS3 specs, it won't have a built-in UMD reader.

I'm not referring to games, mind you. But one thing I'll tell you is that I certainly won't pay full-price for a UMD movie that will work on the PSP only. I want the option to be able to watch it at home on the TV, or on the road. I have a feeling that one factor may determine just how profitable UMD movies will be for Sony in the long run.

If there's already plans in the works for this and I missed it when searching around, I'd like to know.

- FA
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Dude, UMD resolution is still only 480x272, even if they made it available on PS3. I'm not going to buy that over a DVD, ever.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Not to mention with BluRay or whatever we will have even higher resolution movies on PS3.
PSPinDAblock

Post by PSPinDAblock »

According to the URL below, UMD movies are 720x480. Similar to DVD.

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/article ... RSS,00.asp

PSP in da block !
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

PSPinDAblock wrote:According to the URL below, UMD movies are 720x480. Similar to DVD.

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/article ... RSS,00.asp

PSP in da block !
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2004 ... gai117.htm
Last edited by Vampire on Sun May 29, 2005 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSPinDAblock

Post by PSPinDAblock »

You should take your own advice.

Displayed at 480x272 from a source of 720x480 on the UMD.

*Note* Editing your own post was lame
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

displayed in 480x272 resolution on PSP, but apparently stored on UMD in 720x480 format.

hmm, too slow...
it wouldn't be lame if he edited his message before we got a chance to post our replies.
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

PSPinDAblock wrote:You should take your own advice.

Displayed at 480x272 from a source of 720x480 on the UMD.

*Note* Editing your own post was lame
sorry 'bout that ;-)
addictive

Post by addictive »

a PS3 controller has 4 shoulder buttons, a PSP has 'only' two. How do they want to deal with that? Cant be used as a game controller imo...
fashidus

Post by fashidus »

addictive wrote:Cant be used as a game controller imo...
even though it wouldn't be the most full featured controller, it would still be usable.
mr toasty

Post by mr toasty »

Maybe sony would release some add on that would connect via usb and add two more shoulder buttons, and maybe a better grip on it :)
mr toasty

Post by mr toasty »

sorry double post
addictive

Post by addictive »

fashidus wrote:
addictive wrote:Cant be used as a game controller imo...
even though it wouldn't be the most full featured controller, it would still be usable.
well yeah, but not very good, it's like trying to ride a bike with only one weel ;)
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Some of the best bikers in the world do just that.
Cogboy

Post by Cogboy »

but do you want to train for years to be able to use your psp as a controler?
"the sony PSP was built by god, to determine who on earth had the best skills to defeat the armies of satan" - Saint Peter.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

I don't know about you, but I find most people can handle a unicycle in less than an hour.

Regardless, I was attempting to show that your analogy was flawed. Missing two shoulder buttons is a very small thing when compared to the boomerang disaster of a controller they're planning.

Post by Guest »

ooPo wrote:Regardless, I was attempting to show that your analogy was flawed. Missing two shoulder buttons is a very small thing when compared to the boomerang disaster of a controller they're planning.
Call me odd (you probably do anyway) but I actually like the new controller concept.

Sure, it looks similar to the logitech one, and the logitech did suck, but this one appears to curve inward a bit more, which is what IMHO the logitech needed. I like the length of the "wings" as I think it would give more support of the base of the palm and be more comfortable during long play.

Sure the Dual-shock 2 is an awesome controller that will be hard to beat, but so long as people have a choice, I am happy to have this new in my arsenal.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

U R GAY