PSP Update fail

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

heroman

PSP Update fail

Post by heroman »

hi
My psp hast automaticly update over wlan the firmware but i dont want this..
i take the battery out of his slot..
so when i start the psp i dont get a image only the green button lights for 10 seconds ...
help me plz

mfg
heroman ( sry for bad english i live in austria >german..)

Post by Guest »

If you removed the battery during the flash update, you just destroyed your PSP.

For any electronic device, one should NEVER remove power during a flash/firmware update. It is virtually guaranteed to destroy the functioning of the unit.

Your only choice is to call Sony for repair.
heroman

Post by heroman »

can sony german also repair the psp ?

its looks not good .. the shipping from japan is very expensive

Post by Guest »

I do not think Sony Germany can handle the PSP because it is not yet released in Europe.

Even Sony USA, when called by another person last week, does not yet know about fixing firmware problems from 1st level support.

Sorry about your misfortunate, I realized from Europe it must have been a very expensive purchase for you. But I am afraid there is no solution for you :(
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Don't bother calling SCEA, unless you enjoy having the tech support ask you "what's a firmware?" >_< I doubt SCEE is any better yet, so in all probability you'll have to ship it to japan to get it fixed at this point.</rant>

Like gorim said, you probably screwed it up pretty bad. You're only real choices are to send it to sony (and pay a bit) for repair, buy a new one (possibly donating your old one to someone who knows what they are doing to use for parts or attempt a repair), or sit around without a PSP.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
heroman

Post by heroman »

what problem have my psp ?
ist the flashrom destroyed ?? when yes can we flash without that the psp must running??
has the psp a resset button expecialy a router has also a hard resset button
has the psp a button ?
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

The firmware is trashed. The PSP is starting up, but the code it needs to startup and run is gone so it can't.
A lot of consumer devices have a failsafe mode for these type of situations, but there is no known failsafe mode or any other way of repairing your PSP at this point other than sending it to sony.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
heroman

Post by heroman »

can i transfer a firmware or also ?

shit .... i wouldnt sent it to sony
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

heroman wrote:can i transfer a firmware or also ?

shit .... i wouldnt sent it to sony
Drakonite wrote:there is no known failsafe mode or any other way of repairing your PSP at this point other than sending it to sony.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
weak

Post by weak »

you cant even send it to sony if you're not from japan.
heroman

Post by heroman »

aha und warum sogst des net auf deutsch ?

was soll ich jetzt machen ?
MelGibson

Post by MelGibson »

I think you have the following options:

- Wait until the PSP gets out in Europe. Then contact Sony to fix it.
- Contact the dealer you got it from to get it fixed.
(- Contact Sony in your country and ask them for help, even though they're clueless they might be able to point you somewhere)
(-Try to contact Sony Japan and ask them what to do.)
(-buy one of the replacement motherboard: search the board/internet)
-buy a new psp : (
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

heroman wrote:aha und warum sogst des net auf deutsch ?

was soll ich jetzt machen ?
huh? speak in english. Anyway well pretty much your screwed.
<deleted>
btw how is this dev related?
Last edited by Thanhda on Mon May 16, 2005 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...

Post by Guest »

Thanhda wrote:
huh? speak in english.
Anyway well pretty much your screwed. but! if you want to get a new psp then do this. wait for it to come out down there, then go to walmart, buy a psp with cash, swap them then return it. walmart employees dont really check the product out they just want to see its there. you might want to swap the bar code sticker as well. thats if there is a walmart. other wise your screwed.

Thanda, the last person that recommended performing dishonest acts of switching/returning merchandise was banned from these boards. You are warned.
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

sorry about that, wont happen again.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
DrEggman

Post by DrEggman »

Maybe this PSP could be of some use to the people studying the remote port since many believe that Sony uses this port to repair damaged flash.

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=986
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

gorim wrote:
Thanhda wrote:
huh? speak in english.
Anyway well pretty much your screwed. but! if you want to get a new psp then do this. wait for it to come out down there, then go to walmart, buy a psp with cash, swap them then return it. walmart employees dont really check the product out they just want to see its there. you might want to swap the bar code sticker as well. thats if there is a walmart. other wise your screwed.

Thanda, the last person that recommended performing dishonest acts of switching/returning merchandise was banned from these boards. You are warned.
While you have a valid point definitely, it really is not a crime since they will just send it back to Sony for repair and it won't really cost them anything afaik. What the advantage is that you get "cross shipping", ie, you get your PSP right away.

Not that I'd do it -- but then I also wouldn't try to cancel a flash by pulling the battery -- ouch!
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

It is still a crime whether the consequences are large or small.

It is also dishonest.

You are free to make your own choices in life. However, we'd appreciate it if you would not try to justify it here with poor excuses.
Orion_

Re: PSP Update fail

Post by Orion_ »

heroman wrote:hi
My psp hast automaticly update over wlan the firmware but i dont want this
if you don't want this, why did you started the firmware update, then confirmed twice that you wanted to update your firmware ??
have you set you psp to japanese language or what ?!
it can't update automaticaly, it ask you before.
GeKKo

Post by GeKKo »

Versuch es vielleicht mal bei einem Media Markt (oder so) angestelltem also keinem Wildfremden sondern jemand den du kennst und der könnte dann vielleicht was über ihre Kontakt Männer zu Sony was machen. Wird zwar auch nicht billig aber besser als keine PSP.

Post by Guest »

Not dev related, moved.

Post by Guest »

zigzag wrote:While you have a valid point definitely, it really is not a crime since they will just send it back to Sony for repair and it won't really cost them anything afaik.
It is heartening that you agree it is a valid point. One hopes there are not too many more points considered valid in this context.

But I do disagree with your belief that it is not a crime. It is an act of fraud by claiming the unit you are returning is the same one purchased on that receipt, as well as seeking to exchange damaged goods under false pretenses. If you return it by mail, you may also be comitting postal fraud (within the US) and otherwise possibly making it a federal case.

However, regardless of whether or not it is a crime, it is a thoroughly dishonest act, and something not to be associated with these boards. One hopes people are capable of taking responsibility for their own actions.
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Well, the motivation behind my response was mostly that I don't think its justifiable to ban for something like that.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

That was just one of the many reasons the user was banned.

Chances are you have to really, REALLY annoy us and be generally disruptive to get banned. :)

Post by Guest »

zigzag wrote:Well, the motivation behind my response was mostly that I don't think its justifiable to ban for something like that.
You do not know the full story.

I did not ban the person right away. I said in a followup posting what he was talking about was dishonest.

He sent me a private message asking what did he do wrong ? Can I explain to him so he can fix it ?

I responded that he should know already what precisely was wrong.

He sent one more private message, asking if it was this, or that, or the deal with walmart, or yada yada yada. Then asked, "Don't you want my help" ?

Then I banned him. And believe me, it was quite justifiable under those circumstances. I do not think these forums can derive even an ounce of benefit from participation by someone so completely lacking in honesty.

As Oopo said, we are not ban happy folx. Lock-happy yes, but it does take a general inability to "get the point" and have irredeemable annoyance to be banned.

It does suprise me though, that you find it inappropriate to ban someone who not only suggested comitting an act of fraud, but offered to do it repeatedly, and when he was called on it several times, did not consider anything wrong with it.

If you still disagree it was worth banning, I do hope you find forums more suitable for your world-view as well. Probably wherever the other guy is hanging out...
Last edited by Guest on Thu May 19, 2005 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

wow you guys really dragged this conversation, gone way off topic.