kbooti.bin

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Vampire

kbooti.bin

Post by Vampire »

does anybody know what the kbooti.bin file in the kmodule directory of RR is?
Histo

Post by Histo »

kernal boot init
sq377

Post by sq377 »

possible bootloader opportunity?
Erant

Post by Erant »

The kbooti.bin is not supposed to be in that directory. Namco placed their entire module directory on the UMD, but forgot to remove

1) The non-used modules
2) kbooti.bin
3) openpsid.prx
4) rinit.prx

All I know about kbooti.bin is that it's the last step in rebooting a devkit, and seems to me to be some kind of reconfigurable bootstrap. Long story short: of no significant use to homebrew.
Live free, prosper, and under my rule.
pedroleite

Post by pedroleite »

Erant wrote: All I know about kbooti.bin is that it's the last step in rebooting a devkit, and seems to me to be some kind of reconfigurable bootstrap. Long story short: of no significant use to homebrew.
You could be off course a Sony Agent (headpiece included) trying to steer us in the wrong direction...
Erant

Post by Erant »

pedroleite wrote:
Erant wrote: All I know about kbooti.bin is that it's the last step in rebooting a devkit, and seems to me to be some kind of reconfigurable bootstrap. Long story short: of no significant use to homebrew.
You could be off course a Sony Agent (headpiece included) trying to steer us in the wrong direction...
I could be ;) Anyway, some time ago, I analyzed the file, it has 49 sectors, seperated by FF FF FF FF (and then some), and the only text in it was Sony telling you to keep your mits off. I also tried a dissassembler on all probable platforms (ARM, MIPS and x86), and came up empty handed on all of them. I tried those three because I'm not sure wether this kbooti.bin is run on the devkit, on the PSP, or on the host...
MindWall

Post by MindWall »

I am a n00b when it comes to low-level, but that file looks like it has two parts.
One up to the Sony message, wich has no structure, but after the msg the rest at leas at first glance looks like a ~psar structure.
So Erant I would guess that anything worth disassembling is in the first part, and nothing will come out of the encrypted part after the Sony message...
I may be wrong, so please don't bite my head off if I said something stupid or incorrect.
Erant

Post by Erant »

Well, seeing as how this is devkit related stuff, I didn't put much time in it. We can't use it, thus it's not interesting. I'd rather be working on the 1.50 issue ;)
MindWall

Post by MindWall »

Erant, maybe you should ;) (put more time in it)
besides even the dev-kit must have a processor and I doubt it's a special analog processing unit, so if you didn't get any result you must have been doing something wrong ;)
anyway, I'm sure the people who are savy in those things are working on it anyway =)
Erant

Post by Erant »

MindWall wrote:Erant, maybe you should ;) (put more time in it)
besides even the dev-kit must have a processor and I doubt it's a special analog processing unit, so if you didn't get any result you must have been doing something wrong ;)
It's most likely encrypted, because the bootstrap of the PSP is also encrypted. And if my theory of it being a reconfigurable bootstrap is right, then the all the sectors are encrypted seperatly.
Sculay

Post by Sculay »

can u extract this to MS and try encrypt it on pc? @ the bootstrap
PSP Warrior
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

kbooti.bin -> Kernel Module (Boot Image) File