MP4 Player For PS2?

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

GmDude

MP4 Player For PS2?

Post by GmDude »

I was just wondering, is there currently a media player for the PS2 (.elf) that can handle MP4 files? I know that my AR max does not. I've looked in to Reality, but it does not list the supported formats.
jaymacdonald

Re: MP4 Player For PS2?

Post by jaymacdonald »

GmDude wrote:I was just wondering, is there currently a media player for the PS2 (.elf) that can handle MP4 files? I know that my AR max does not. I've looked in to Reality, but it does not list the supported formats.
SMS.
big

Re: MP4 Player For PS2?

Post by big »

GmDude wrote:I was just wondering, is there currently a media player for the PS2 (.elf) that can handle MP4 files? I know that my AR max does not. I've looked in to Reality, but it does not list the supported formats.
In the readme.html file from the official ps2reality release:

Supported formats

Video Mode

Video MPEG4-ISO (like xvid)
Audio MP3, OGG (mode 1, mode 1+), PCM and AC3

Audio and video should be in AVI format. (Don't Work with OGM)

Audio Mode

Audio files : MP3,MP2,CDDA.

Image Mode

Image files: JPG

Of course if you want updated codecs and other formats SMS is your choice
GmDude

Post by GmDude »

:/

I have just tried the latest versions of both.

Neither of them play MP4

This sucks because most of my videos are MP4 for my PSP

Are there any other media players?
jaymacdonald

Post by jaymacdonald »

GmDude wrote::/

I have just tried the latest versions of both.

Neither of them play MP4

This sucks because most of my videos are MP4 for my PSP

Are there any other media players?
Try Simple Media Center (as I said earlier), it plays MP4, and if it doesn't, something is wrong with the files.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

MP4 is just the container. What video and audio codecs do your MP4s use? That's the main thing that determines if a particular player can handle it. For example, maybe a player will handle an MP4 that has xvid video and mp3 audio, but not h.264 video and aac audio.
GmDude

Post by GmDude »

Video: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
Audio: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC

In SMS it only plays the Audio track, but no video.
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

GmDude wrote:Video: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
Audio: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC

In SMS it only plays the Audio track, but no video.
It's a well known fact that SMS does not support H.264 encoding at all.
That is not any failure in its design but a conscious choice by its programmer, Eugene Plotnikov (aka: EEUG).

Apparently it would not be possible for him to design an H.264 decoder producing both decent resolution and decent frame rate, due to limitations of the PS2 resources. I'm not really qualified to verify that as fact myself, but I'm perfectly willing to rely on EEUG's judgment in such things. What he's already done with SMS proves that he knows what he's talking about.

Best regards: dlanor
saarela

Post by saarela »

What is the proper way to place music on an Mp4 Player? Yesterday I downloaded a ton of songs and transferred them to my mp4 player. But after I unplugged the player and tried to play the songs I get "Format Error". Was I supposed to use Media Player or some other program to place the songs on the mp4 player?...The first and only method I used was dragging them into the Player (It has no folders, when I open Removable Disk G: it automatically shows the songs) but it seems that that was not the correct way to do it.
Last edited by saarela on Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

saarela wrote:What is the proper way to place music on an Mp4 Player? Yesterday I downloaded a ton of songs and transferred them to my mp4 player. But after I unplugged the player and tried to play the songs I get "Format Error". Was I supposed to use Media Player or some other program to place the songs on the mp4 player?...The first and only method I used was dragging them into the Player (It has no folders, when I open Removable Disk G: it automatically shows the songs) but it seems that that was not the correct way to do it.
What you ask here has nothing to do with a PS2 console, and even less to do with PS2 program development which is the only purpose of this forum. So I'm afraid you will have to take your problem elsewhere, and the obvious place to start would be the Internet home page of the manufacturers of your MP4 player hardware.

Personally I have no advice to give you as I have never had an MP4 player myself, so I can only caution you not to confuse support of other MPEG-4 formats with specific ".MP4" support, like some previous posters in this thread have done.

yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

Apparently it would not be possible for him to design an H.264 decoder producing both decent resolution and decent frame rate, due to limitations of the PS2 resources. I'm not really qualified to verify that as fact myself, but I'm perfectly willing to rely on EEUG's judgment in such things. What he's already done with SMS proves that he knows what he's talking about.
psp has hardware h264 decoder. and it uses a nonstandard muxing format for it (most likely to reduce I/O).

ps2 has hardware support for mpeg2, and i'm guessing eeug might have adapted this feature to help with mpeg4 (xvid/divx) decoding.

h264 is definitely too cpu intensive, and there is probably no way to use hardware acceleration with ps2 to play it. not to mention that most h264 files come in ridiculously high resolutions, as far as ps2 is concerned ;-)
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

yoshi314 wrote:
psp has hardware h264 decoder. and it uses a nonstandard muxing format for it (most likely to reduce I/O).

ps2 has hardware support for mpeg2, and i'm guessing eeug might have adapted this feature to help with mpeg4 (xvid/divx) decoding.

h264 is definitely too cpu intensive, and there is probably no way to use hardware acceleration with ps2 to play it. not to mention that most h264 files come in ridiculously high resolutions, as far as ps2 is concerned ;-)
The post by me that you're quoting here was written in February of 2008, almost 22 months ago, and your conclusion is basically the same now as mine was back then, so I see no reason to continue discussion in this thread.

jimparis

Post by jimparis »

dlanor wrote:
saarela wrote:What is the proper way to place music on an Mp4 Player?
What you ask here has nothing to do with a PS2 console
Tip: when a user has only a single post and they're posting a question which seems off topic, and they have a useless signature like "i need help" at the end of their post, they are actually a spammer. Some day they will come back and change their signature to be full of links for the search engines to pick up.