Doom - PS2 Port

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

dirsors

Post by dirsors »

Good job cosmito!

I'm trying to add HDD support to the ps2doom without sucess. Getting this when compiling: (the (...) is deleted text).

Code: Select all

(...)
l_main.o(.text+0x744): In function `SDL_main':
l_main.c: undefined reference to `size_ps2atad_irx'
l_main.o(.text+0x74c):l_main.c: undefined reference to `size_ps2atad_irx'
l_main.o(.text+0x748):l_main.c: undefined reference to `ps2atad_irx'
l_main.o(.text+0x75c):l_main.c: undefined reference to `ps2atad_irx'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: ** [DOOM.ELF] Error 1
in lmain_.c i've declared the modules (here i'll put only ps2atad to save space, therefore the error goes with all the other modules added such as ps2hdd, ps2fs, etc.)

(...)
/*Declare ps2atad module*/
extern unsigned char ps2atad_irx[];
extern unsigned int size_ps2atad_irx;
(...)
SifExecModuleBuffer(ps2atad_irx, size_ps2atad_irx, 0, NULL, &ret);
Makefile was changed also:

EE_OBJS  =
(...)
ps2hdd_irx.o ps2atad_irx.o \
(...)
ps2atad_irx.s : ps2atad.irx
	bin2s ps2atad.irx ps2atad_irx.s ps2atad_irx
Yeah it isn't easy!
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

Version 1.0.2.0 now available. Support for USB keyboard and for changing weapon are the main features.
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

Hi dirsors,

Saw you post only now. Contributions to the project are welcome. Feel free to get the latest code from the .zip release and improve it. It's up to you to decide what to do later: hosting it yourself, sending me your modifications for being incorporated, you decide.

I'm thinking in hosting it on Google code. I would like to host it using a free service that would stay up for many years in the future. Google Code with SVN support seems a good candidate. Any other suggestions?
dirsors

Post by dirsors »

The problem is that I'm having no success. As you can see in my last post, the compiler gives that error and I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

About the repository versions:
I can send you the code for being incorporated, It's more simple. But now I need some help ;-)
aries2k

Post by aries2k »

Hi Cosmito,
Nice job. :)
I apreciate the time and effort you´ve taken to make this ps2port even better.
Thanks.
urbigbro

Post by urbigbro »

Any updates on this? I'd also like to see support for loading from all media (e.g. memory card and Hard drive). A wad selector would be nice, the exit option should take you back to your elf boot method (for example, those using Free MCBoot, back to the OSD) and the controls should be configurable as in the older versions. I really liked PS1 DooM's controls.

Do that and it would be absolutely perfect
Last edited by urbigbro on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

hi urbigbro,

Yes, your suggestions are too on my list, specially the wad selector and being able to get back to the OSD and although progress is ssslllloooowwww, it's not stalled :)

But any updates news should be posted over my development blog (http://ps2homebrewing.wordpress.com) instead at ps2dev, since the main porpuse of these forums is to discuss dev issues, not for announcing releases. I must keep faithful to that as a principle :)

I can say that soon (the code is already done, it's just a matter of incorporating into) there will released a version that loads the WAD from the current directory, not the root of the mass: device. Although the main purpose is to keep files organized this could work as a wad selector, since you just need to put each WAD over separate folders along with a ps2doom.elf.

But before those implementing any of the features you mention, I should enable game saves. Otherwise, you cannot properly enjoy Doom.
urbigbro

Post by urbigbro »

Thanks Cosmito, good to hear. And if you want some help implementing the back to OSD feature, ffgriever over a psx scene released an elf which does that for you. It's the CB_launch.rar at the bottom of Bootleg's post here:http://psx-scene.com/forums/ps2-homebre ... d-hdl.html, maybe you could re-route the "quit" request to this ELF?

Also, what if one were to store the DooM ELF on a memory card (which I will most likely be doing, seeing as I have a 128MB memory card)? Would the WADs also have to be stored there too? With DooM 1 - Final DooM's WADs all on the MC you could have 60 megabytes taken up (which most people won't even have because they have standard 8MB MCs), not to mention the amount of space required by unofficial WADs downloaded from the internet!

The location of where to look for the WADs should be configurable (applications like PGen are a good example of this), but saves I would imagine could be defaulted to memory card since they would be very small in size. Maybe even make a nice little DooM memory card icon for the folder where saves are stored... :) I'd most likely have the ELF stored on MC so I can start it with Free MCBoot and store the WADs on my HDD (750GB Seagate for my Fat PS2 39003), because if I were to store it all on HDD I couldn't use it with Free MCBoot, and I hate having an ugly USB sticking out of my case. :P

I'd be happy to contribute to this project in any way I can

Regards,
Elijah
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

urbigbro wrote:Thanks Cosmito, good to hear. And if you want some help implementing the back to OSD feature, ffgriever over a psx scene released an elf which does that for you. It's the CB_launch.rar at the bottom of Bootleg's post here:http://psx-scene.com/forums/ps2-homebre ... d-hdl.html, maybe you could re-route the "quit" request to this ELF?
You're welcome. Thanks for the link, I'm going to check later. Examples on how to go back to the PS2 browser are found at uLaunhELF and SMS sources, but thx anyway.
Also, what if one were to store the DooM ELF on a memory card (which I will most likely be doing, seeing as I have a 128MB memory card)? Would the WADs also have to be stored there too?
Well that could be configurable, as long it would remain simple. In principle it should use a simpler method than powerful uLE and FMCB configurations, since you see many noobs going crazy with it :)
With DooM 1 - Final DooM's WADs all on the MC you could have 60 megabytes taken up (which most people won't even have because they have standard 8MB MCs), not to mention the amount of space required by unofficial WADs downloaded from the internet!
Yep, that's why I didn't though much in reading the data files from MC. The sharewad WAD is already pretty big for 16MB ou 8MB cards so I prefered the USB mass storage, considering hdd only would leave apart slim users (besides, I would like to avoid hdd, since the process of initing it is quite obscure to me. I can mimic what other sources does (like ragnarok NES emulator) but it's all blind steps to me, not ver interesting - but I'm not refusing to add support - just for now there are other more important issues and features to add.)
The location of where to look for the WADs should be configurable (applications like PGen are a good example of this), but saves I would imagine could be defaulted to memory card since they would be very small in size. Maybe even make a nice little DooM memory card icon for the folder where saves are stored... :)
Hmm I would not implement the icon. It's just looks too superfluous to me. But feel free to contribute.
I'd most likely have the ELF stored on MC so I can start it with Free MCBoot and store the WADs on my HDD (750GB Seagate for my Fat PS2 39003), because if I were to store it all on HDD I couldn't use it with Free MCBoot, and I hate having an ugly USB sticking out of my case. :P
Yes, the paths should be configurable. It's just a matter to write code for this.
I'd be happy to contribute to this project in any way I can
You and anyone are welcome. If developers want also to contribute, even better. This way things can be speeded up, since my free time is quite limited.
Regards,
Elijah
Have fun.
urbigbro

Post by urbigbro »

I forgot to mention that it randomly locks up at times when at the main menu, is this an unresolved bug of some sort? Because it was in older versions too if I recall correctly.

Edit: An icon of some sort (simple or not, doesn't really matter) should be implemented otherwise the folder on the memory card will appear as corrupted data when in the Sony browser.
Last edited by urbigbro on Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

urbigbro wrote:I forgot to mention that it randomly locks up at times when at the main menu, is this an unresolved bug of some sort? Because it was in older versions too if I recall correctly.

Edit: Some icon of some sort should be implemented otherwise the folder on the memory card will appear as corrupted data when in the Sony browser.
Hmm does this happens at menu time? That is, when the menu items are being shown (the New Game, and such)? I already faced a crash after some moments after loading (but before calling the main menu by button) when it's displaying various screens in a slideshow style... I thought it was solved (well, hacked).

Is this the same situation?

On nice thing I would like to add was to include the source from ps2link regarding exception handling. So, when a ELF crashes, it would present a usual ps2link crash report which would be a lot more helpful than just the freezing of the ELF...
urbigbro

Post by urbigbro »

Yes, that's where it happens. If I remember correctly, it has also locks up at times in the sub-menus (e.g. load screen, options menu)

---

I was thinking of helping to develop this myself, but this will be my first time ever developing software (so I'm a n00b). I just don't know how to get around to starting, I've downloaded the free Win32 PS2 SDK ad installed it as per instructions but how do I get going?
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

urbigbro wrote:Yes, that's where it happens. If I remember correctly, it has also locks up at times in the sub-menus (e.g. load screen, options menu)
Hmm doesn't seems the same bug... Have to investigate later I must :)
I was thinking of helping to develop this myself, but this will be my first time ever developing software (so I'm a n00b). I just don't know how to get around to starting, I've downloaded the free Win32 PS2 SDK ad installed it as per instructions but how do I get going?
Trying the examples, looking at the examples sources and understand them.