The MAME Emulator for PS2

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

AngelSephiroth

The MAME Emulator for PS2

Post by AngelSephiroth »

Hey guys, just wondering about the is MAME Emulator for PS2, since it's a mame emulator and is using ps2's system power can it run those games like MK4, Killer Instinct 2 that are for MAME? also is there an N64 Emu for PS2?

- AngelSephiroth
weltall

Post by weltall »

for mame i don't know actually is a simple proof of concept or demo. it don't work too good, to make it working better someone should optimize it for the ps2 and in anycase this is also a older version of mame. for the n64 there is anything actually
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

MAME is a huge beast of code. To port that thing to something like the PS2 and optimize to the point of getting good performance (enough for even early to mid 90s stuff) would be a huge undertaking.

And no, there is no n64 emulator for PS2. It too would take a lot of work...
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

The only major problem in making an N64 emulator is the lack of memory. The PS2 only has 32M of memory, but most of the really popular N64 carts are also 32M. You'd need to make some sort of virtual memory system that swapped the cart contents into memory off the CD/HD/HOST on the fly. That REALLY complicates matters. If you restricted yourself to smaller carts, something like Mugen64 would run well on the PS2. Porting something like Mugen64 would still be a be task, so don't expect a N64 emu anytime soon. :)
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Last I checked Mugen64 doesn't work well on anything ;) heh

And as for the memory issues.. it's like you say, although if you search gamebase.ca or if you had been logging #ps2-emulation you would have heard a lot of talk from me on how to do it ;)
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Mugen64 works on all the stuff I play. Well, there are other open source N64 emus out there. However, I don't see anyone making a PS2 version anytime soon. :)
DiGiTaLeX

Post by DiGiTaLeX »

Well thats a pity, cause I never wanted to give up my N64 for the ps2....
EugeneE3RD

Post by EugeneE3RD »

The MAME emulator for PS2 is based off of an older distro of Mame & it really isn't that good anyway. It would be better for someone to port the current source distro of Mame to PS2.

The current Mame for PS2 is just a tech demo. The author isn't working on it anymore, they never release the source code, et al.

Forget about an N64 Emu for PS2, it will never happen.
You no mess with Lo Wang- Lo Wang (Shadow Warrior).