Loading an ELF file above 0x80000000

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

soren121 wrote:I have a quick question. I have a new slim PS2 (SCPH-90000 series) and want to use Linux on it. Is it possible? Also, if it's possible, can I use the currently-sold Action Replay MAX to launch the bootloader? I don't want to spend $25 just to find out it doesn't work. Thanks!
I don't have a SCPH-90000, so I can't say if this will fully work. But I think it will work.
Free McBoot seems to be disabled on the newer consoles. So there is no easy way to boot for you.
If the Action Replay MAX includes the Media Player and has still the same features, then it is possible to start kernelloader (and other homebrew which is prepared for the broken loader. I mean packed ELF format).
If they promise that you can play Genesis ROMs, it will work.
But you need to ask the vendor, if Action Replay MAX will work on your SCPH-90000. My old Action Replay MAX is still working with SCPH-77004. I sold this for my SCPH-50004. I never heard that Sony blocked Action Replay.

There are some disadvantages:
- Currently you don't have network support. I am working at this.
- You need to install Linux on a USB drive. PS2 only supports USB 1.1, which is slow.
- The installation is not easy. If you are a Linux expert, this will be no problem.
- The Linux software is old.
- Sound is not working. There is a way to get sound working by copying files from Sony's Linux Disc 1, but this is sometimes unstable.
- Some USB hardware is not working (e.g. some newer USB keyboards).
soren121

Post by soren121 »

Thanks for the answer.

None of the problems are a show-stopper for me; I've been using Linux for a few years now, and I'm pretty experienced in the command-line. I don't need sound, I have older (circa 2004) USB keyboards, and while networking would be nice, I don't need it.

I've emailed Codejunkies; I'll post their reply when I get it.

EDIT: Tech support emailed me back. And they took out the Max Media Player. :(
The current version of the PS2 Action Repay is compatible with all current models of the PS2 console. Unfortunately, the Max Media Player feature is no longer supported by the Action Replay.
Well, thanks for your help. Maybe I can find an older Action Replay on eBay or something.
krrk

Post by krrk »

I have PS2 SCPH-79004. I installed Linux on pendrive but it is unstable. System freeze when I try install packages (sometimes it works). I think that is problem whith USB memory. I checked 3 USB mass storrage devices.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

I know that the module "CDVDMAN.IRX" can cause this problem, especially when you use the module with X in the name. Don't use newer modules with a X as the first letter.

You should try to disable all modules except "rom0:SIO2MAN" and "host:TGE/intrelay-direct-rpc.irx". This is required for USB to work.

You will loose some features, but it runs more stable.

If you want to use the features and want a stable version, you need to use the modules from Sony's RTE disc. The kernelloader is able to extract the files if you insert a disc or a DVD-Video copy of it.
dukzcry

Post by dukzcry »

Hello friends!
I'm rather new to PS2 scene.

First of all i'm happy surprise to see that someon wrote such good bootloader for old Sony console.

Took old PS2 slim console from my cousin these weekends.
It's one of the first generations SCPH-70008 (V12) one. From Russia.

I've heard about HD Connect product for V12 PSes that solders into non-used pins stayed on mobo from 'fat' PSes.
I know that need DMS4 mod chip for loading games from it. Will the HDD be accessible under Linux without modifications to kernel via such product?
Otherwise, will it require the mod chip itself. Are the drivers exists, or will it work via driver for old 'fat' PS HDD?

Thanks!
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

dukzcry wrote: Will the HDD be accessible under Linux without modifications to kernel via such product?
I didn't test it. I assume it will not work. The register access changed, I assume this was already changed in the first slim version. But you have with the oldest slim PSTwo the highest remaining chance to get it working. Kernelloader 1.9 has problems with the slim. The next version 2.0 will support it better, but will not add support for HDD.
dukzcry wrote: Otherwise, will it require the mod chip itself. Are the drivers exists, or will it work via driver for old 'fat' PS HDD?
I believe that the mod chip will not help. There are homebrew drivers available, but these are not supported by Linux or Kernelloader. So Linux can be changed to support it, but I will not add support, because I don't have the HDD expansion set for slim PSTwo.
pio_masaki

Post by pio_masaki »

Well I know this is a pretty much dead topic by now, anyways here goes my problem.

Using Mega Mans tut and files, I managed to stumble my way through my install, right up until it says

Customize Linux installation:

* vi /mnt/etc/fstab
Commands:
ESC - Get back to command mode.
"i" - Insert text.
"x" - Remove character.
":wq" - Save and quit.
":q!" - Quit and don't save.
o Exchange "hda1" and "hda2". "hda1" must be swap. "hda2" must be "ext2".

I didn't know what to do, so I skipped over it, continued to step 17

Unmount and reboot:

* cd /
* unmount /mnt
* unmount /usb
* shutdown -h now

Cd / works fine, however unmount is not recognized as a valid command, so I couldn't unmount my HDD or USB drive, which I knew would maybe cause issues, but I had no other choice but to issue the shutdown -h now command. Now when I boot I get superblock and magic number errors (after setting hda2 as root as mentioned later in the tut), then it hangs, only ctrl d works, it won't accept typed commands.

So, I went back, reloaded the same files and got back to where I would normally start partitioning, and attempted to run fsk and e2fck, neither of which are recognized as commands, so now I'm stuck with a screwed install because unmount was "missing" even though I found it in the directories on both part2 and loaded in the ramdisk from the initrd file I used.

How do I either fix the drive, or install with a working unmount command?

I used kloader 2.0 with free mcboot 1.8, vmlinux-2.4.17-ps2-devfs-20080302, initrd.gz-ps2-20071224 (the other fails and hangs after some eth0 errors), blackrhino_baseimage-1.0.tar.gz .

Any other combo fails to boot with /dev/ide and/or /dev/scsi access.

Booting with vmlinux_fat_and_slim_v2.gz also gives superblock errors.

This is on my fat ps2, dunno the version since its not a sony case on it, with a maxtor 40 gb hdd that i found in the closet. I already have free mcboot 1.8, ulaunchelf 4.40, sms 2.9 rev 4,hdloader, etc running fine, the linux is my last mod to this system.
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

the command to un-mount a volume on linux us spelled 'umount'. (note there is no 'n' in that!)

and i'm not sure i read you correctly, but it seems you simply skipped the editing of /etc/fstab? That file really should to match your actual partitioning scheme, since it lists which partitions are mounted where, causing havoc are boot time if incorrect.
Damn, I need a decent signature!
pio_masaki

Post by pio_masaki »

Ah ok well the walkthrough said unmount, so that is the command I used, I will try my next install with umount instead.

I skipped the editing of fstab I guess as it didn't specify how or what to put in there, simply what I pasted (everything I put was pasted from the walkthrough, including the commands for unmounting)

I was thinking of using something from pendrivelinux to see if I could fix the HD errors, however if possible I would prefer to install it correctly the first time, not have to go back and fix a botched install.

As per the walkthrough, my hd is setup as partition 1 is swap, partition 2 is the main partition for the OS, where the base image was extracted to. The files do show up under /mnt when the hd partition1 is mounted to it. So, basically:

HDD
l_partition1 swap
l_parition2 e2fs (I think, thats the command used on this partition, mke2fs)

This gets mounted to /mnt after partitioning, after that next boot hda2 (partition2) gets named as root in the kernal commands before launch without the initrd, which is where I get the errors.

USB gets mounted to /usb from /dev/scsi and works fine as its mounted as read only.

So, in the step to edit my /etc/fstab, how should I type it out so it works correctly with my HD setup? I have minimal linux experience (obviously) and is limited to pendrivelinux installs which didn't require me to do any of this kind of stuff, it pretty much just installed itself to my HD. After install most everything was done in the GUI, with mimimal terminal usage, and even then guided by the net the whole way. Generally I can manage on my own just looking at forums, but I didn't see anything that matched up with the problem I was having.

Thanks for the help, I'll post back if everything works out nicely, at least, the umount issue, fstab is something I'll have to wait for a reply on, or at start googling again.

Edit umount worked,editing the fstab worked out, the instructions made sense this time with a properly installed partition2, swapped hda1 and hda2 around to be what they're supposed to be, booted up with the non devfs kernal (gonna try the v2 one next boot). Logged in as root, now I have blackrhino:~#

YAY. now to figure out how to get xwindows going...
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@pio_masaki

If you have trouble installing from scratch you might want to try loading my distro. It installs from a usb flash drive, but has a choice to install to hard drive. The ps2-linux distro is here - http://www.4shared.com/dir/10437217/89c ... istro.html
pio_masaki

Post by pio_masaki »

deba5er,

I actually did try, using the files from 2009_base, the first time I just installed it to hda2, where blackrhino was installed to, working I might add, while booted from the usb with an initrd, devfs kernal, etc like I did to install blackrhino. Afterwards, no joy, lots of errors etc, as I kind of expected. This time, I installed blackrhino with hda1=swap hda2=5GB ext2 hda3=root partition taking up the rest of the space. klauncher is pointed at hda3 as root already, and booted to login and prompt fine.

Blackrhino was installed to hda3, and I am now attempting to install your packages to hda2, with the 5GB partition. I mounted it (and its in fstab) to /mnt/hda2, made the proc and tmp directories, however now I can't find my USB pendrive to extract the two files, so now I'm kinda stuck, its not where it used to be at /dev/scsi, it says there are no special discs.

My next choice is to once again start over, delete the parititions, make hda1 swap, hda2 root and instead of installing the blackrhino base image, install your two packages instead, and seeing how that goes.

I know I'm wasting tons of time doing it this way, but its a hobby, it kills time, and I can actually say, I had linux running on my ps2, limited as it was, it booted to login and then prompt. Getting a GUI is next on my list, which is why I was messing with your packages as well. I'm pretty sure just using the walkthrough and installing your packages instead of the blackrhino image to hda2 should work fine, though somewhat backwards, it seems alot use hda2 as the swap partition, but as long as I know what drive is where and why, I should be able to
adapt whatever I need to it.

Oh, edit, I use component video on my system, and it flashes and goes ballistic when I launch into linux, is this normal or what? Using the regular rca video is fine. If it matters, its to a 720P CRT TV, will this continue through into xwin (or whatever gui I end up with)?

Final edit: Installed deba5ers packages instead of blackrhino to hda2 with hda1 as swap, booted up, all is good. As for the component video, the flashing stops once it gets into fluxbox, but remains pinkish in color, not sure why yet. Haven't figured out how to mount the usb drive yet, but I haven't spent more then 10 mins playing with it. Next is network and audio. hopefully fix the pink color, switching to rca just for linux is annoying and I enjoy the resolution bump they offer (480p).
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@pio_masaki

Good to hear that you are now on your way. Edit the /usr/local/bin/win3 script and make sure that you have "dtv2" after "screen 0" so that you are setting up for 720P DTV. If this is already set, then we have some more research to do...

sudo X :0 -screen 0 dtv2 -auth ~/.Xauthority -once -terminate -nolisten tcp & <-- incorrect

sudo X :0 -screen 0 dtv,720p -auth ~/.Xauthority -once -terminate -nolisten tcp & <-- correct

I assume that since you are running my ps2-linux distro that you are using Mega Man's vmlinux_fat_and_slim_v2.gz for the kernel is kloader. Run "sudo mountusb" to mount your usb drive. However, if the usb drive is plugged in when you boot it should be mounted by the /usr/local/bin/win3 script (see the mount /mnt/sda1 on the first line).

For sound, if you have a version 7 or less PS2 you can configure kernelloader to load the ROM1:LIBSD and ROM1:SDRDRV modules. If you have a version 9 PS2 you are out of luck for sound unless you have the Official Sony PS2-Linux RTE modules.

For network, you should check out /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/resolv.conf (gateway), and /etc/hosts.

Good luck!
Last edited by deba5er on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pio_masaki

Post by pio_masaki »

Deba5er and cherrif,

Thanks for the help along the way, it's proven invaluable so far, as we use SMS to watch movies and tv shows I haven't had a chance to swap back over the linux HD and play around with it some more. I assume the command for the screen settings will be run from xterm, and sudo grants me root access for that one command? Anyways, is there a way to adjust the output resolution to better fit a 720P screen with a native res of 1280x1024? I remember reading the PS2 maxes at 1024x1024, which I would be happy to hit, letters are so much easier to read, not sure if the setting you suggested would allow it, or default to another resolution.

When I installed the linux distro I edited the fstab, renamed sda1 and sda2 to hda1 and hda2, so I'm not sure if that will interfere with the automounting of usb since fstab has no sda1 entry, adding one will be easy enough, though.

Version wise, I have no clue. I put a flip top case on it years and years ago (probably going on 8 years now) and tossed the original case out a few years back, unless theres some other way to find out, taking it apart is fine, I usually tear it apart and blow it out a couple times a year, and it's due for one soon. I don't know if this matters, but I don't use the RCA audio, I use the optical, but using the RCAs instead isn't a big deal breaker. As for the RTE modules from the actual sony discs, I can get them as I know someone with a copy sitting in the closet, I'm sure he'd let me have it if I need it.

Network wise, the PS2 isn't anywhere near my router, at least not within reach of any cables I currently have, so unless theres some way to add wifi to it (maybe a module that can run as a mini router to the ethernet adapter) networking will be a bonus that I'll work on after everything else is done. I'll work on it some more tomorrow and let you know what else comes up, and edit back what worked or didn't work.
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

pio_masaki wrote:Version wise, I have no clue. I put a flip top case on it years and years ago (probably going on 8 years now) and tossed the original case out a few years back, unless theres some other way to find out, taking it apart is fine, I usually tear it apart and blow it out a couple times a year, and it's due for one soon.
Taking it apart and checking the motherboard ID codes is one big help in identifying the model, but for some models it may also be sufficient to just check the console product code and the bios version number.

The console product code is visible as the first entry below the title of the "Version Information" screen of the Sony menus. That version info screen is opened by pressing 'Triangle' in the main Sony menu.

The bios version number is easiest checked by launching a modern version of the homebrew uLaunchELF (aka: uLE) and using the built-in command "MISC/Debug Info" from the uLE FileBrowser. That will display various informations including the string content of the "rom0:ROMVER" file. The first four characters of that string represent the version number digits in such a way that "0160" means bios version v1.60 (example taken from my own v7 SCPH-39004 console).

Best regards: dlanor
pio_masaki

Post by pio_masaki »

Ok update, I have a V7 console, loaded the modules in klauncher, attempted to set the dtv2 thing, gave me an error Invalid screen configuration dtv2

Later in the command lists towards the bottom, I see settings for 480i, 720p etc up to 1080i. Not sure how to use these switches in the command you specified, so not sure how to continue with this issue yet.

The win3 script states it as :0 -screen 0 NTSC,inter

I'll fiddle with it, starting with changing NTSC,inter to dtv,720p and see what i see.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@pio_masaki

My guess would be to modify win3 :
:0 -screen 0 dtv2 <-- incorrect
:0 -screen 0 dtv,720p <-- correct

Not as you mentioned dtv2,720p.

I never change this in kloader or kernel parameters there.
Last edited by deba5er on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pio_masaki

Post by pio_masaki »

Well the command mentioned failed, I can try setting that directly into the win3 script, but after booting with the dtv,720p setting I got the same flashing (somewhat different, but still flashes) boot up screen, then fluxbox was still pink, and now is off center about 4-5 inches to the left.

The boot text was much sharper, though, could just be the component cables in general, nothing to do with the settings I put into win3. Fluxbox itself was slightly blurred around the cursor, like a slight after image shadow, not sure if this is an intended effect or not.

If the command failed due to not thinking dtv2 was a valid configuration, what can I expect to happen by forcing it directly into the win3 script? If the configuration is still considered invalid, I mean. Or will it simply say Oh ok, its valid since it was mentioned in the win3 script?

Other then fixing this issue in fluxbox, is there a way to fix it in kloader kernal parameters so the booting text isn't flashing and making me want to stab my eyes out with a dull spork?

I have noticed certain elfs doing it, though not nearly as badly, the text itself may flash or artifact, but the whole screen doesn't flash like it does in linux. Snes Station is one of those that flash, once you launch a game the Snes station main screen will flash between frames of the game being played, but no color issues, so again, RCA will fix this, just odd that the PS2 can't use the cables all the time, only in certain situations. Games, menus, DVD movies, movies in SMS etc all work fine with them, its just linux and snes station so far.

I guess this means I need to go find someones fat PS2 with a dead laser or something for next to free (or free) and just use it for SNES station and maybe linux if I can't hammer out the settings to use the component cables properly. I'll modify the win3 script to match your settings in the morning, time is so limited with a new (first) baby (well, 4 months old on sunday) and being the only driver in the family.

Edit: Edited win3 script to say dtv2 instead of dtv,720p and I couldnt get fluxbox to even start, so dtv2 is not valid on my install for whatever reason. Trying out dtv,480p this time around. Other then that, I can only think of trying VESA and setting my own resolution settings in win3. I still don't understand how the NTSC setting breaks my component cables, its a NTSC machine on a NTSC TV.

Edit2: dtv,480p boots, is slightly larger then my screen area, and its still pink! argh.

Edit3: VESA settings are black screen in fluxbox, I'm getting annoyed now.

Edit4: Changed the kloader config to crtmode=dtv,480p this has stopped the flashing, but text is still pink, win3 script was reset to the previously workable dtv,480p as well. Next I'll try setting kloader config to crtmode=dtv2 and seeing how that goes, if text goes normal we're on the right track and its something outside of kloader and its kernal/fluxbox related. Side note, kloader won't let me use my usb keyboard to edit the strings, I have to edit it on my pc then reload it from usb, anyone else get this?

Edit5: set dtv2 in kloader kernal strings, text is still pinkish, however much smaller then before, very hard to read, next step is to specify it in win3 since the kernal doesn't discard it from kloader.

Edit6: Once again dtv2 in win3=failsauce, refuses to run with that switch in there. kloader will use it, so I'm missing something when it comes to fluxbox using it. I'm now out of ideas, so my current setup for video is:
kloader crtmode=dtv2
win3 dtv,480p

What if I don't put a resolution mode after dtv, will it default to something? Since my HDTV is 720P I'm not sure what it will do with an interlace signal if it defaults to one.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

Check out this post on the pink tint 720p. This is by wisi -- since this is a dev forum, you probably will get better help by joining psx-scene.com forums and going the homebrew/ps2-linux sub-forum:

http://psx-scene.com/forums/showpost.ph ... tcount=332

This is a fairly recent post by wisi, and he was on the forum today so he is checking in for updates so he might be able to add more (I don't own a DTV).

This is the post where I note dtv,480p or dtv,720p but with more information:

http://psx-scene.com/forums/showpost.ph ... stcount=87

so if you have a newer FAT PS2 (version 9/10) maybe you need to use the patched LIBSD.IRX from RTE (see earlier in THIS thread from Mega Man) and the RTE SBIOS to fix?

Here is a quick post I did on the video settings:

http://psx-scene.com/forums/showpost.ph ... tcount=337
pio_masaki

Post by pio_masaki »

Thanks for the links, I took a quicky look, and the link http://psx-scene.com/forums/showpost.ph ... tcount=332 looks promising, however I don't know about the "patched sound module and SBIOS from RTE copy.

If I follow what he says, I need to copy the RTE SBIOS from the linux dvd, which I can get ahold of, or does he mean I need a patched SBIOS from RTE, since it follows mention of a patched sound module?

I have a V7, so sound shouldn't be a problem. I will test this with an mp3 on my jumpdrive next time I boot into fluxbox.

Following your other link http://psx-scene.com/forums/showpost.ph ... stcount=87 shows that my setting of dtv,720p should not only have fixed the pink issue, but should have worked perfectly with my 720P HDTV, and should be the same as using the dtv2 switch as mentioned at http://psx-scene.com/forums/showpost.ph ... tcount=337

"dtv2 'DTV 720P'" which is the switch I was instructed to try first, and which began the whole issue with why dtv2 isn't accepted by fluxbox. I'm now pretty much convinced its an issue with fluxbox since starting klauncher and launching with crtmode=dtv2 works (pink text) and setting it in win3 gives an error. I'll see about copying that SBIOS RTE file from the disk and putting it on the MC0 and seeing if this will fix my pink issue. Then sorting out why the 720P setting makes my screen sit 6" to the left, and why 480p cuts an inch or so off the top and bottom of the screen output. There may be screen alignment settings I know nothing about, yet, that may fix the 720P off center, but I'll save that for after I dont have a pink screen, then I'll worry about resolution, then alignment if needed.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@pio_masaki
I have a V7
Well, don't worry about the SBIOS or LIBSD from RTE then, as this is typically used for PSTwo Slim sound/usb. With version 7 you don't need the RTE. If you go to kloader configuration, modules, and select ROM1:LIBSD and ROM1:SDRDRV, this should be enough for sound. Since I have no DTV, I am not certain that the RTE SBIOS would fix it. Many people note the magenta (pink) problem with composite cables and DTV, but I don't know if a certain solution exists. Maybe someone on the psx-scene.com forum would have more experience.

On the dtv2 issue, I apologize. There are two settings -- the dtv2 is for the text mode (before X-Windows) - setcrtmode (same as in kernel parameter in kloader) a different setting is for X-Windows, which is your problem and requires dtv,720p. Your version 7 with the hard drive is the BEST hardware configuration for PS2-Linux. No one in my family has a DTV and I would need access to one for some time for testing, so my DTV tests will have to wait awhile.
pio_masaki

Post by pio_masaki »

Ah, well now I have them on my MC0 anyways, I went ahead and did SBIOS and the other option to copy, I think it copied around 6 or 8 to my MC, havent checked how many or what yet. I didn't see an option to set SBIOS from the MC, so I'm not sure it was even using it, either way I enabled what was on the MC in the modules list, same thing, still pink, and went into some kind of loop, so back to normal.

Good to know my testing showed the correct settings in the end, dtv2 in kloader, then dtv,720P should work, but its still all pink.

I say I have a V7 as I have a 39001 model, but I read some conflicting info out there about exactly what version I may have.

I had those two selected already on advice from earlier in the thread (after my initial post).
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

39001 is v7 as far as I know - http://www.eurasia.nu/wiki/index.php?pa ... rsionTable

The magenta problem is common but I have no experience with it. It is nearly certain that someone at psx-scene.com will have the answer as a GSM homebrew is actively being developed dealing with graphic modes for homebrew on the ps2.
pio_masaki

Post by pio_masaki »

Well just for anyone else following in my footsteps, I figured out how kloader uses SBIOS from MC0 and it turns out it actually hangs while trying to launch the kernal, so no matter what, it won't fix it. So for now I'm leaving the TGE SBIOS enabled (so it launches the kernal) and leaving the next option off (something about new modules and TGE SBIOS). Turning it on didn't effect it. Anyways, off to psx-scene to bother them a bunch, I'll post back any findings here in case someone comes across this later, as I followed a link from mega mans walkthrough to this thread.

Another thing, my G15 keyboard works in klauncher, but not in fluxbox, where my eclipse keyboard works in fluxbox but not in klauncher, this is in response to a question I asked earlier about my keyboard not able to edit the kernal parameters.

Side note, I intend to hit the local swap meet and hunt for PS2s, last time I was there I saw 5 fatty PS2s for sale, didn't bother to ask how much or check what versions, maybe if I find another V7 or lower I may pick it up for testing against my machine, though I doubt its the machine as everything else works fine on component video. Either way, I swap 3 HDDs around on one PS2, so one running dedicated linux will be nice, HDLoader and SMS own the other 2. Then if I never fix the pink thing the linux ps2 can stay on composite.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@pio_masaki
Another thing, my G15 keyboard works in klauncher, but not in fluxbox, where my eclipse keyboard works in fluxbox but not in klauncher, this is in response to a question I asked earlier about my keyboard not able to edit the kernal parameters.
My Logitech EX110 wireless keyboard/mouse combo works on all homebrew including kernelloader and PS2-Linux in case you want to pick up one that you know will work. It has a short range though - 10 feet.

You can pick up a used fat PS2 for cheap if it is broken AND the only thing broken is the DVD drive. The network adapter is what typically costs you, unless it is attached already and the seller is clueless.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

It is possible to tell kernelloader to change the mode before starting Linux. This may help: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... &start=101

The RTE version of the SBIOS may have better support for DTV. To be able to start this version, the CDVD SBIOS calls need to be disabled. You need to go to the configurations menu and select "SBIOS Calls". Then you can set the default for RTE. This will disable CD/DVD access. Otherwise it will not start and you will have a black screen.
The RTE SBIOS is intended to be used with the RTE modules. So you should use the versions from mc0:/kloader instead of ROM0:. The modules are described here http://kernelloader.cvs.sourceforge.net ... iew=markup
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@Mega Man

I was able to compile the ps2fs module for kernel 2.2.1 but I'm not setup for compiling for kernel 2.4.17. Can you help me get the ps2fs module working for 2.4.17? It would allow someone to store files on a pfs partition like that used by ULE hdd: access or SMS hdd: access, and then mount the partition (read only is the example I saw) on PS2-Linux.

http://playstation2-linux.com/project/s ... ase_id=431
pio_masaki

Post by pio_masaki »

Wow, I actually figured this all out today, came here to update on my progress and saw mega man chimed in with exactly what I did to fix it.

Originally I had already modified the kernal parameters to be crtmode=dtv and then win3 was dtv,480p. Now that things are working it will be crtmode=2 and win3 will be dtv,720p and see if everything works out. Last time I tried (still pink) it was off center in 720p, not sure how to align it yet but I'll figure it out eventually.

RTE SBIOS on mc
Disabled TGE SBIOS
Disabled TGE for New Modules
Set default for RTE SBIOS

Color is spot on now, but I lost the PS2 controller for my mouse, I'll look into this more, for now an old usb mouse is doing the honor.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelloader/files/

Uploaded new file vmlinux_fat_and_slim_v3.gz.
This supports ps2fs. You need to know the partition name. In this example the partition "__common" is mounted:

Code: Select all

mkdir /mnt/common
mount -t ps2fs -o ro,partition=__common /dev/hda  /mnt/common
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@Mega Man

Thanks! Only 40KB increase in kernel size but I can now share data on the hdd between SMS/ULE and PS2-Linux. I swear one of these days I'm going to get my kernel compile capabilities in order...this is the second time I've bugged you about it...
pio_masaki

Post by pio_masaki »

Would it be possible to add pfs support to a pc kernal, maybe like xubuntu, which the only distro i've used for any length of time? I ask because i was thinking of using xubuntu to put my files into _common or something resized to a majority of the drive, if not i'll just put files onto the root partition and use ps2linux to put them there on the ps2 instead.