Loading an ELF file above 0x80000000

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

cukierek83

Post by cukierek83 »

hello :)

did anyone start the linux from tutorial http://mitglied.lycos.de/ps2dev/tutoria ... linux.html successfully on a new ps2 slim scph-90004? is it necessary to plug a keyboard or mouse to run it?

my system is scph-90004 pal using loader 1.9 and tested with different kinds of vmlinux but in every version it hangs with usb error as some posts ago written ... please help if someone knows anything about it!
luncheonticket

Post by luncheonticket »

Mega Man wrote:
luncheonticket wrote:sorry if this is the wrong thread, but i've been struggling trying to run linux through this great bootloader...

i've got a 79001 slim ntsc slim ps2 with a 4gb usb thumb drive and usb keyboard...

the problem is that regardless of the kernel (or bootloader) i use, neither the usb drive nor the keyboard are detected... if i try the usb-boot initrd then it detects both devices, but then it endlessly loops trying to install them... the error is this one:

usb.c: USB new device connect on bus 1/2, assigned device number 1
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usb-ohci.c: unlink URB timeout
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=1 (error=-145)
usb.c: USB new device connect on bus 1/2, assigned device number 2
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=2 (error=-145)
usb.c: USB new device connect on bus 1/2, assigned device number 3
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-145)

and so on, ad infinitum...

i tried enabling and disabling every module, both the standard and specially patched 1.8 and 1.9 versions of the bootloader, several kernel versions (even the IRQ patched one) to no avail, the behaviour is always the same (when using a standard initrd the devices arent detected and when using the 'usb-boot' initrd the devices installation fail)

i also tried everything else mentioned in this thread, to no avail

if anyone got around this, please let me know...

thanks!
You didn't use the special test version for slim PSTwo:
http://rapidshare.com/files/112377834/vmlinux.gz.html

This version still includes some debug output, which could make it a little bit slow. You need also to select the special interrupt handling modules for slim PSTwo.
still no luck... same error with this kernel and the slim ps2 modules enabled... i think i'm at a dead-end on this one... maybe someone with a ntsc 79001 slim ps2 got it working could provide me with the proper config file...
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

luncheonticket wrote:
Mega Man wrote: You didn't use the special test version for slim PSTwo:

This version still includes some debug output, which could make it a little bit slow. You need also to select the special interrupt handling modules for slim PSTwo.
still no luck... same error with this kernel and the slim ps2 modules enabled... i think i'm at a dead-end on this one... maybe someone with a ntsc 79001 slim ps2 got it working could provide me with the proper config file...
Did you use the intrelay-direct-rpc.irx (other intrelay*.irx disabled) together with the kernel above?
Someone has the experience that USB is working when loading YABASIC and reset the slim PSTwo (no power off) and then accessing USB drive using uLaunchELF before launching kernelloader.
Can you use USB within the kernelloader before starting Linux?
luncheonticket

Post by luncheonticket »

Mega Man wrote:
luncheonticket wrote:
Mega Man wrote: You didn't use the special test version for slim PSTwo:

Did you use the intrelay-direct-rpc.irx (other intrelay*.irx disabled) together with the kernel above?
Someone has the experience that USB is working when loading YABASIC and reset the slim PSTwo (no power off) and then accessing USB drive using uLaunchELF before launching kernelloader.
Can you use USB within the kernelloader before starting Linux?
the kernel loader works fine in usb, in fact the kernel initrd etc are in a usb thumb drive...

i managed to make it work fiddling with the settings (specifically i used the irx you mention), however i've got another error now, but i guess its related to the usb keyboard/hub combo i'm using because when i plug in this specific keyboard the console gets flooded with 'IRQ 42 assigned' messages...

i've got no problems with another devices (i plugged in so far a couple of thumb drives, mice, a webcam and some gamepads with no problems, the console prints the irq received message just one time and everything seems fine), but since i've got only this keyboard i cannot do anything else from the console. i'll get a regular usb keyboard and try again...

thanks for the help! i hope to get this up and running soon :)
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

luncheonticket wrote: the kernel loader works fine in usb, in fact the kernel initrd etc are in a usb thumb drive...

i managed to make it work fiddling with the settings (specifically i used the irx you mention), however i've got another error now, but i guess its related to the usb keyboard/hub combo i'm using because when i plug in this specific keyboard the console gets flooded with 'IRQ 42 assigned' messages...

i've got no problems with another devices (i plugged in so far a couple of thumb drives, mice, a webcam and some gamepads with no problems, the console prints the irq received message just one time and everything seems fine), but since i've got only this keyboard i cannot do anything else from the console. i'll get a regular usb keyboard and try again...

The IRQ 42 messages are debug messages and means that it is working (I don't mean the "assigned device number... not accepting" messages). I included this message to detect if interrupts are working. You can get rid of them if you recompile Linux with the official patches (I don't have time to recompile it now). If you enter the command "dmesg -n 1", the messages should disappear.
patters

Post by patters »

I've spent quite a long time reading the various threads on here, Megaman's tutorial, and the Spanish site someone linked to. I've been trying to get PS2Linux installed on my PAL 39003 fat PS2. I'm using the McBoot 1.8 exploit though the machine is also modded with a Matrix Infinity 1.93.

I spent some time experimenting with getting the whole thing running from USB (I didn't want to risk messing up my HD's partition table). I started to realize how slow it would be, and when I read about using ps2fdisk to make APA partitions I decided to give an HD install a shot.

My problem is that I while I can get a tar file unpacked onto my root partition, I can't seem to get it successfully booted to a login prompt.

Using the Spanish guy's full blackrhino backup, and also trying deba5er's distro from 4shared I can almost get it booting but it halts with the following messages. It definitely mounts the root though, because it runs fsck on it if it hasn't dismounted cleanly:

Code: Select all

INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
Starting system log daemon: syslogdstart-stop-daemon: opendir /proc: No such file or directory
Starting kernel log daemon: klogdstart-stop-daemon: opendir /proc: No such file or directory
/dev/ps2gs: No such file or directory
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast; disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left at this runlevel
1st question: How do you scroll back up through the kernel messages? It should be Shift-PgUp, right?

2nd question: In Megaman's tutorial at point 16 after editing fstab he mentions "more stuff to configure is mentioned here" pointing to a now defunct blackrhino site page. Can anyone provide the missing steps?

I'm using kloader 1.9, vmlinux-2.4.17-ps2-devfs-20080302 and initrd.gz-ps2-20071224 from here.
I created my partitions using ps2fdisk but I noticed that I have to use /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc rather than /dev/hda.
Once I have unpacked the distro to the root partition I have edited fstab to reflect their locations (again using /dev/ide/host0/target0/lun0/part1 etc.)

On reboot I'm still using Megaman's kernel, disabling initrd scrubbing thr ramdisk config line and adding the root=/dev/ide/host0/target0/lun0/part1. (part1 is my root, part2 is swap).

Am I missing something obvious? How come I can't use /dev/hda? Is the problem that Megaman's kernel is substantially different from the ones used for the pre-made distros? I read about pivotroot but had assumed that the newest kloader made this unnecessary.

I'd be grateful for some help - I'm so nearly there!
deba5er

proc

Post by deba5er »

Did you manually create /tmp and /proc?

1) mkdir tmp;mkdir proc (I forgot these empty directories from my distro tarfiles)

This is from the distro notes in the same 4shared directory as the distro tar.bz files.

You can boot off of the initrd and mount your filesystem, then do this before attempting to boot onto the hard drive.

Also, I'm using the other kernel (2MB) from Mega Man's site, which is probably how you would use /dev/hda. The shift-pgup doesn't work for me either.
patters

Post by patters »

Thanks, but it doesn't get much further:

Code: Select all

INIT: Entering runlevel: 2 
Starting system log daemon: syslogd syslogd: /dev/xconsole: No such file or directory 
Starting kernel log daemon: klogd.
/dev/ps2gs: No such file or directory 
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast; disabled for 5 minutes 
INIT: no more processes left at this runlevel 
I presume that's the device for the Graphics Synthesiser (/dev/ps2gs) is absent somehow?

I used the other non-devfs 2MB kernel and it's working! Just got to sort out the Xserver config but I'm away for a few days now. Thanks for the pointers deba5er.
Last edited by patters on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
deba5er

ps2gs and xconsole

Post by deba5er »

Both files exist in my distro part 1 - ps2linux-base.tar.bz2

I just verified. So somehow this was not untar'd fully or may not be my distro. You can use 7-zip on a windows pc to verify this, or you can boot initrd, mount, and check your /dev directory.

Let me know when you're back, and I'll try to help you troubleshoot. PS2-Linux is worth it - my distro is very quick (tweaked for minimum memory use).
patters

Post by patters »

See my edit - got a working system thanks!
davideciarm

Post by davideciarm »

Hi at all!
I would install linux on my PS2 Slim 75004. it's possible?
i had read the tutorial at link: http://mitglied.lycos.de/ps2dev/tutoria ... linux.html
but, when i launch kloader.elf from ulaunch, it load 5-6 files, and after still on display "loading"...
(i not had connected any keyboard or mouse)
what i can do?
i had try to launch kloader.elf from MC, and from USB. i have only a pen USB, i would install linux on USB pen. on the pen i have the folder ps2linux with the file request in the tutorial...
Please...help me!!! thanks very much!
davideciarm

Post by davideciarm »

Mega Man wrote:
luncheonticket wrote: the kernel loader works fine in usb, in fact the kernel initrd etc are in a usb thumb drive...

The IRQ 42 messages are debug messages and means that it is working (I don't mean the "assigned device number... not accepting" messages). I included this message to detect if interrupts are working. You can get rid of them if you recompile Linux with the official patches (I don't have time to recompile it now). If you enter the command "dmesg -n 1", the messages should disappear.
i view the message "irq 42 received" flooded...
what is the file that i do recompile? you have an tutorial to recompile? Please help me...thanks again!
davideciarm

Post by davideciarm »

Hi! i had compiled linux witch thes patchs:
http://localhostr.com/files/b9ed98/linu ... itrd.patch
http://localhostr.com/files/f04d71/linu ... -irq.patch
and the kernel that i had compiled is this:
http://localhostr.com/files/d349ea/vmlinux4Slim.zip

i start KL1.9 with this kernel, and init file is the version for Slim.
when i start, usb and keyboard ar recognized.
image of the screen:

but keyboard not write! why?

if i disconnect USB keyboard, and reconnect is recognized as an keyboard and mouse! view in the image of screen:

If i connect mouse, recognize only a mouse.
why keyboard is recognized but not work? Please help me! Thanks!!!!
bee7

Post by bee7 »

davideciarm wrote:Hi! i had compiled linux witch thes patchs:
http://localhostr.com/files/b9ed98/linu ... itrd.patch
http://localhostr.com/files/f04d71/linu ... -irq.patch
and the kernel that i had compiled is this:
http://localhostr.com/files/d349ea/vmlinux4Slim.zip

i start KL1.9 with this kernel, and init file is the version for Slim.
when i start, usb and keyboard ar recognized.
image of the screen:

but keyboard not write! why?

if i disconnect USB keyboard, and reconnect is recognized as an keyboard and mouse! view in the image of screen:

If i connect mouse, recognize only a mouse.
why keyboard is recognized but not work? Please help me! Thanks!!!!
i'm using pstwo scph90006
my usb keyboard doesnt work too in kernel loader 1.9, try 1.8 slim version by megaman, it works good.
i already can read/write to my usb pen drive.

now it seems my ps2 doesnt detect the built in network device.
i try "ifconfig -a" command, it only show dummy0 and loop
no eth0! anyone can help me?
bee7

Post by bee7 »

btw i'm using slightly modified initrd, i change the lib module version 2.2 to 2.4. so it doesnt show "modprobe: bla bla bla" message again when you try to mount usb pendrive.

here is the initrd image
http://rapidshare.com/files/202680951/initrd.clean.gz
Last edited by bee7 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baggacfreak

Kernelloader Linux von VideoDVD

Post by baggacfreak »

Hi,

I used the old version 1.8 to run Linux on my old ps2 model with lan adapter. Did you managed to get the files for installation or running linux to get burnt onto a Videodvd and loading kernelloader and everything else from such a dvd?!? Would be nice to have a linux running nfs. Is this possible? My dbox2 runs linux and i'd like to record onto the ps2 hdd!

CU!
Memor32 Boot Elf from MCC with Mod Chip no soldering! http://memorgs.gulli.to/
mazxim

Post by mazxim »

@davideciarm

I'm using your kernel and the initrd.clean provided by bee7 (thanks to both!) but I noticed that usb-storage support was not staticly compiled. Can you recompile it?

At this point, with keyboard and pendrive issues resolved, most PSTwo users might be able to fairly boot linux from usb, using kernel loader 1.9 and the blackrhino based distro provided by deba5er.
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

Cool. And someone there with good will and enough free time to write a tutorial for the installation on PS2 slim models?
mazxim

Post by mazxim »

Here I am with a PSTwo 'SCPH 77004' PAL (no hard disk) and a cable (interface) to connect 'PS/2' keyboard and mouse throug one USB port. Network adapter still doesn't work. See here.

This is not a tutorial since I still have many doubts and I need more experience to realize what to do in a simpler way, but with these steps anything seems to work.

1GB pendrive, 3 partitions
1. 32 MB fat16
2. 64 Mb linux swap
3. the rest, linux ext2

I downloaded these files:

Kernel Loader 1.9 (Mega Man)
vmlinuz4slim.gz (davideciarm)
initrd4slim.gz (bee7)
ps2linux distro packages (deba5er)

- copy the kernel loader, vmlinuz and initrd on first partition.
- uncompress the 2 packages (ps2-base and ps2-usrlocal) into the ext2 partition. Take care to preserve attributes on files and dirs during the process. Create 2 dir on it with name 'proc' and 'oldroot'
- edit /etc/fstab and change 'hda' references with 'sda'
- edit /etc/network/interface and comment out all the 'eth0' references
- start ulaunchelf, go to mass: and boot the kernel loader.
- go to 'Configuration Menu' --> 'Module Configuration'
- select 'Slim PSTwo' and then 'submit to config'
- go back and edit 'kernel parameter' in order to change NTSC to PAL, to use it on TV screen.
- select kernel and initrd from the pendrive
- through 'File Menu' you can save the configuration now
- go to 'Boot Current Config'
- when you get the prompt, digit 'modprobe usb-storage'
- mount /dev/sda3 /newroot
- pivot_root /newroot /newroot/oldroot
- umount /oldroot/proc
- exec /sbin/init

..is terribly slow, but it works somehow :-)
Last edited by mazxim on Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

Thanks mazxim for the info. I'm going to try it soon.
I was unaware that the network adapter isn't supported... It's a pity since my main interest was surfing the web of checking email. However, I'm still going to try it.
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

From here : http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=11351
I've found this : http://files.rillion.net/volt/
which in turn pointed me to : http://sourceforge.net/project/shownote ... _id=617430

According to the sourceforge link, for that kernel loader, network is supported :

"Status: Kerneloader has a on screen menu. Debug information is
printed using ps2link, when it is enabled in config.mk. Kernel is starting,
most stuff is working including graphic, USB, hard disc and network.
Sound and some configuration stuff is not working. CD/DVD access is
unstable and incomplete."

Does this helps?
mazxim

Post by mazxim »

Hello cosmito, thanks for the attention.

That is referred to the normal PS2, the 'fat' one, since it seems that network interface chip on PSTwo models are different and there are some problems with the linux driver. I'm going to search some infos in order to try to understand better the situation.

There are problems even with the sound: to enable it on PSTwo we need special .irx files from the 'Sony Linux Kit' DVD.

DMARELEAY.IRX
LIBSD.IRX

..and configure the kernel loader to use it. As described here is necessary have the DMA support in order to activate sound but... as Mega Man pointed out:

"If you select the RTE SBIOS, you will get sound support, but loose CD/DVD support and slim PSTwo support."

and again:

"You need at least to load dmarelay.irx from RTE. The original Linux 2.2 supports it. Linux 2.4.17 uses a different dma driver (The rpc id is different. I already tried to change these numbers, but this is incompatible). Linux 2.4.17 was developed for the BB Navigator. The interface changed. I believe when you get the dmarelay.irx from the BB Navigator, it will work. But I don't tested this and I don't have the BB Navigator.
Sound is only working when DMA works"

So linux on PSTwo using USB - work - but with no sound and network capabilities right now.
bee7

Post by bee7 »

mazxim wrote:Hello cosmito, thanks for the attention.

That is referred to the normal PS2, the 'fat' one, since it seems that network interface chip on PSTwo models are different and there are some problems with the linux driver. I'm going to search some infos in order to try to understand better the situation.

There are problems even with the sound: to enable it on PSTwo we need special .irx files from the 'Sony Linux Kit' DVD.

DMARELEAY.IRX
LIBSD.IRX

..and configure the kernel loader to use it. As described here is necessary have the DMA support in order to activate sound but... as Mega Man pointed out:

"If you select the RTE SBIOS, you will get sound support, but loose CD/DVD support and slim PSTwo support."

and again:

"You need at least to load dmarelay.irx from RTE. The original Linux 2.2 supports it. Linux 2.4.17 uses a different dma driver (The rpc id is different. I already tried to change these numbers, but this is incompatible). Linux 2.4.17 was developed for the BB Navigator. The interface changed. I believe when you get the dmarelay.irx from the BB Navigator, it will work. But I don't tested this and I don't have the BB Navigator.
Sound is only working when DMA works"

So linux on PSTwo using USB - work - but with no sound and network capabilities right now.
I always see "Network and HDD support not present" when booting, i think that means we have to wait until kernelloader support it.

Mazxim,Did u manage to bring the GUI on PSTwo slim?
deba5er

network in pio mode

Post by deba5er »

While I don't have a Slim PS2, my PS2 works fine for network with or without dma (it does not need RTE, and shows up as using PIO mode). So I think the sound (RTE-required) and network (RTE and dma NOT required) are two separate problems. Do you get any eth errors at boot-up after the line - "PlayStation 2 SMAP(Ethernet) device driver is loaded."?
whig

Post by whig »

The system provided here

http://lamadrigueradeconejo.blogspot.co ... ebian.html

gave me gui - I only had to change the /dev/usbmouse device to "c 13 63" (man mknod)
mazxim

Post by mazxim »

Yes, the GUI (XWindow/fluxbox) work here with the system provided by deba5er, even with no problems with the mouse.

@deba5er

NETWORK: I can't get the eth0 up on boot. I recieve this message:

"Playstation 2 HDD/Ethernet device NOT present"

..with enabled hdd/network support on kernel loader. If I try to modprobe the smap (ethernet) module manually, is reported as 'unused' by lsmod. So basicly there's not a right driver for the PHY chip on PSTwo.

SOUND: when DMA and LIBSD options are enabled on kernel loader with 'Slim PSTwo' support the system doesn't boot, tell me that can't find the .irx files on memory card, despite they exist since I copied DMARELAY.IRX and LIBSD.IRX on (mc0:/kloader). Weird.
Disabling 'Slim PSTwo' it boot BUT with the usuals keyboard and USB related errors on PSTwo.
deba5er

PSTWO network and sound

Post by deba5er »

@mazxim
NETWORK - Mega Man noted that network is not working on your version of PSTwo (77004) from http://kernelloader.sourceforge.net/linux.html (bottom of page). From looking at the source for the ORIGINAL smap.c (http://playstation2-linux.com/download/ ... /smap.c.us) it appears that the check for the presence of the network fails (ps2_pccard_present != 0x0100). This is probably due to the hardware change between the old version of the PSTwo and the new version (which you have), where functions were consolidated from multiple chips into a single chip (I read in a forum and now I can't find the URL, sorry). It would be interesting if you could recompile the newer (STEPHY1) version of smap.c into Mega Man's PSTwo-compatible kernel and force ps2_pccard_present = 0x0100, and see what errors are displayed.

SOUND - Don't enable DMA. It is not necessary for audio function. However RTE is necessary. Put libsd.irx and audsrv.irx in mc0:/kloader and try. Take out the dmarelay.irx from the memory card as I can't see this working at all for the PSTwo.

Both of the above a wild guesses, I don't have the experience of Mega Man to know the inner workings of the loader and the kernel. This is just from google research this morning to try and help.
bee7

Re: PSTWO network and sound

Post by bee7 »

deba5er wrote:@mazxim
NETWORK - Mega Man noted that network is not working on your version of PSTwo (77004) from http://kernelloader.sourceforge.net/linux.html (bottom of page). From looking at the source for the ORIGINAL smap.c (http://playstation2-linux.com/download/ ... /smap.c.us) it appears that the check for the presence of the network fails (ps2_pccard_present != 0x0100). This is probably due to the hardware change between the old version of the PSTwo and the new version (which you have), where functions were consolidated from multiple chips into a single chip (I read in a forum and now I can't find the URL, sorry). It would be interesting if you could recompile the newer (STEPHY1) version of smap.c into Mega Man's PSTwo-compatible kernel and force ps2_pccard_present = 0x0100, and see what errors are displayed.

SOUND - Don't enable DMA. It is not necessary for audio function. However RTE is necessary. Put libsd.irx and audsrv.irx in mc0:/kloader and try. Take out the dmarelay.irx from the memory card as I can't see this working at all for the PSTwo.

Both of the above a wild guesses, I don't have the experience of Mega Man to know the inner workings of the loader and the kernel. This is just from google research this morning to try and help.
i have ps2 toolchain and megaman's kernel loader source, is that enough to recompile the kernel?
were i can find newer smap.c file?
thank u, sorry if my question too noobie.. :)
deba5er

PSTwo network and sound

Post by deba5er »

I'm just as much a newbie as yourself when it comes to kernel compiling. The newer smap download location is referenced on http://playstation2-linux.com/forum/mes ... g_id=48853

Remember that you already have patches applied to the PSTwo kernel, AND that Mega Man may have already applied these smap patches. My interest is in what would happen if the smap module was recompiled to force ps2_pccard_present = 0x0100. This would allow the module to attempt to use the driver, which would then display possibly more meaningful errors. Maybe Mega Man can offer further hints?
bee7

Re: PSTwo network and sound

Post by bee7 »

deba5er wrote:I'm just as much a newbie as yourself when it comes to kernel compiling. The newer smap download location is referenced on http://playstation2-linux.com/forum/mes ... g_id=48853

Remember that you already have patches applied to the PSTwo kernel, AND that Mega Man may have already applied these smap patches. My interest is in what would happen if the smap module was recompiled to force ps2_pccard_present = 0x0100. This would allow the module to attempt to use the driver, which would then display possibly more meaningful errors. Maybe Mega Man can offer further hints?
hmm, i'm confused now, which source should i apply patch from. maybe i should do trial and error here, since i dont have any experience compiling kernel :)