Loading an ELF file above 0x80000000

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Mega Man wrote:
J.F. wrote:I get "Magic 0x00088b1f is wrong" as the error message.
The magic are the first 4 bytes of the file. You don't have extracted the file. There is a command called "gunzip" on Linux which can unpack the file.
My loader can't start packed files. But when I think about it, it would be a nice feature.
Right - I was leaving it gzipped. Unzipping it makes it work. Yay! One problem solved. However, I don't get any display after it loads, the composite display goes away, but you don't get any VGA display. The cable I'm using works with Sony's linux just fine.
Malasar_0x80

Post by Malasar_0x80 »

Hi, Mega Man! I try to load your kernel with initrd and netbsd kernel on my Slim ps2. Usb not worked in both. I changed options, that was posted in this branch, but no resulsts. Kloader 1.6.
ferix

USB not working

Post by ferix »

Just another ps2 slim that refuses to work with USB...

My machine:

PS2 Slim SCPH 77004 PAL

The network adapter was not detected too...

I launched the kernel loader from the last ulaunchelf's version.
aeon

Post by aeon »

With kernel Loader is possible to start a Live CD/DVD of Linux on a PS2 Slim?
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

J.F. wrote: However, I don't get any display after it loads, the composite display goes away, but you don't get any VGA display. The cable I'm using works with Sony's linux just fine.
I was thinking that the frequenzy is too high for my TV, but it seems that graphic is not correctly initialized.
Currently graphic is initialised by Linux and not by SBIOS included in kernelloader. I was thinking that NetBSD do it the same way. When I use the SBIOS from RTE it is also not working and looks the same. So I think there is a general initialisation missing. When I look at the current source code of netbsd, I can see that the initialisation of the graphic is disabled.
I've also seen that RPC is not correctly working with NetBSD. When iopheap bind is called, I got as response of a 0 as fid instead of a 0x80000008.
I've also noticed that NetBSD calls SBIOS with disabled FPU, I needed to enable it.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Yeah, it's got problems. :) The video should probably be initialized to "standard" VESA modes for VGA. Virtually every monitor out (even LCDs) support the "standard" VESA modes. Who's working on the netbsd, by the way?
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

aeon wrote:With kernel Loader is possible to start a Live CD/DVD of Linux on a PS2 Slim?
I was already thinking about making a Live CD/DVD of Linux. Currently the CDVD driver is unstable and the USB is not working on a slim PS2. This need to be fixed first.
It is possible to load the kernel and the initrd from CD/DVD, but not mounting the file system on the CD/DVD.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

I've uploaded the new version 1.7.
CDVD is now working. Currently PS1 CDs and PS2 DVDs are supported.
Linux now uses the correct time/date.

EDIT: CDVD is deactivated by default. You need to enable all SBIOS calls in the configuration menu.
Last edited by Mega Man on Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaiomatico

:( still a error =(

Post by kaiomatico »

hey i am using the kloader 1.7 with an mc exploit...

launching this app in launchelf hasn't work becuz it has not detected the pal tv

buuuut after i selected as kernel vmlinux.devfs from my usb-stick and initrd.gz as initrd and all the modules etc loaded sucesfully ,he hangs up with a message: "Copying files and start..."

so what is my problem?

i have a modded ps2 with a Crystal-chip,a hd and a network adapter..

my console:SCPH-50004 <-fat one ^^
Brwoser:1.40
CD-Driver:2.00
Playstaion-Driver:1.11
DVD-Player3.00E

PAL TV :)

sooo pleaaase help me :)
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

Launchelf rejects my kernelloader file. This must be a bug in launchelf.

I saw the same behaviour when I tried to load eedebug.irx without activating IOP debug output. Did you changed the default configuration?

You should try if disabling of hard disc and network in the configuration menu helps. It is possible that the modchip changes something at the hard disc interface.

Did you try to deactivate the modchip ("Hardware Sleep Mode" - Pressing 6 times reset).
kaiomatico

Post by kaiomatico »

EDIT: I really disabled the modchip (hardware sleep mode) so that he couldn't assign the hd and network wrong... I also disabled the hd and network support and I also disabled debug modules and eedebug.irx

but nothing happens it still hangs on that screen :(

If there is any way to debug or anything which could help you mega-man ,please let me know I want this sooo bad ...

thanx
baggacfreak

Post by baggacfreak »

Hi,

perhaps it is posible to make a linux distribution with the memor32 memorycard mod chip. The trick used with this mod is that it uses special patched dvds. The dvds contain the date but are seen by the ps2 as normal video dvds. Booting the kernelloader elf worked fine, too. So perhaps we can set up a package of files one needs to install linux (e.g. Black Rhino) with this way!

Cu!
Memor32 Boot Elf from MCC with Mod Chip no soldering! http://memorgs.gulli.to/
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

kaiomatico wrote: If there is any way to debug or anything which could help you mega-man ,please let me know I want this sooo bad ...
You can debug it when you use the following files and ps2link. You need to run ps2link with parameter "listen" on your PC. Debug output will be send from ps2 over network (UDP ports 18193, 18194 and 18195)
http://mitglied.lycos.de/ps2dev/debug/kloader.elf
http://mitglied.lycos.de/ps2dev/debug/vmlinux.iopdbg
http://ps2dev.org/ps2/Loaders or from ps2sdk in svn

How to configure kernelloader:
###################
Configuration Menu -> Module Configuration
red: New Modules
red: TGE SBIOS for New Modules
red: Enable IOP debug output
green: Enable TGE (disable RTE)
green: Enable PS2LINK (debug
green: Enable debug modules
Select: Submit above config

This should select the following configuration:

Check: Module List
Everything red except:
rom0:SIO2MAN
rom0:MCMAN
rom0:MCSERV
rom0:PADMAN
host:ioptrap.irx
host:iomanX.irx
host:poweroff.irx
host:ps2dev9.irx
host:ps2ip.irx
host:ps2smap.irx
host:ps2link.irx
host:sharedmem.irx
host:TGE/intrelay-dev9.irx -> System will stop working when network is accessed. So you should also disable it.
rom0:CDVDMAN
rom0:CDVDFSV

You also need to set IP address of your ps2 in:
Configuration Menu -> PS2LINK Options

I need the complete debug output printed by ps2link.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

baggacfreak wrote:perhaps it is posible to make a linux distribution with the memor32 memorycard mod chip. The trick used with this mod is that it uses special patched dvds. The dvds contain the date but are seen by the ps2 as normal video dvds. Booting the kernelloader elf worked fine, too. So perhaps we can set up a package of files one needs to install linux (e.g. Black Rhino) with this way!
Kernelloader currently resets the IOP CPU. I don't know if memor32 memorycard can handle this. You can test it. Just enter the path to vmlinux manually "cdrom0:/vmlinux". You can also try to access a DVD from Linux.
It is also possible to do this without memor32 card. We need to write (or find) a module that can handle video CDs. I am not sure, but I think I saw a module in SMS.
baggacfreak

Post by baggacfreak »

Yes, SMS has a modul to load e.g. mp3s from a Video DVD!
kaiomatico

Post by kaiomatico »

ok .. that was interesting^^^soooo :

the "debug kloader" which you've uploaded hasn't detected my tv again... so I used your normal kloader V 1.7 again ;)

I used YOUR config which you've posted :) ,the normal initrd.gz and as kernel the debug kernel you've uploaded :)

AND THEN IT JUST WORKED :) I was in linux =)

(it also works WITHOUT your special config.... simply use the iopdebug kernel you've uploaded...)

SO IT IS UP TO THE KERNEL
I have uploaded my ps2link debug log... but I don't think that this is interesting any longer...

EDIT: it always says then : hda:lost interrupt

5 times... then it skips and comes with another error message it was something like:

spbios_cge call errfuction 192 IPRC -1
spbios_cge call errfuction 191 IPRC -1

pretty long.. and then

"found ramdisk image at block 0"
"not enough free space to ?mount? the virtual image"

I don't exactly remember but it was veeery much like that

when I disable the "hd and network support" he has also the

problem AND hangs pretty long with only assigning the MAC adress...but not the IP adress...

my debug log:

http://kaiomatico.ka.funpic.de/download ... nuxlog.txt

thx a lot :)
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

kaiomatico wrote:the "debug kloader" which you've uploaded hasn't detected my tv again... so I used your normal kloader V 1.7 again ;)
I don't know why this happen, because I also use a SCPH-50004 PAL. But my PS2 has a newer DVD player and has not a modchip.
kaiomatico wrote: (it also works WITHOUT your special config.... simply use the iopdebug kernel you've uploaded...)
When you start this special kernelwithout loading "sharedmem.irx" then you will have a deadlock at startup. So I don't know why this is working.
kaiomatico wrote: I have uploaded my ps2link debug log... but I don't think that this is interesting any longer...
It seems to be incomplete, there is very much debug output missing. I can only see emtpy lines. Everything printed by Linux on screen should be also printed over ps2client.
kaiomatico wrote: EDIT: it always says then : hda:lost interrupt
I don't expect interrupts to work when using my special configuration, because ps2link is loaded.
kaiomatico wrote: 5 times... then it skips and comes with another error message it was something like:

This is just normal and seems to be special SBIOS calls, only valid in BBnav and not on PS2.
kaiomatico wrote: pretty long.. and then

"found ramdisk image at block 0"
"not enough free space to ?mount? the virtual image"

I don't exactly remember but it was veeery much like that
Did you use the default kernel parameters?
kaiomatico wrote: when I disable the "hd and network support" he has also the
This calls are part of CDVD and has nothing to do with hard disc or network (BBnav configuration stuff). I don't see any profit in these SBIOS calls.
kaiomatico wrote: problem AND hangs pretty long with only assigning the MAC adress...but not the IP adress...
If harddisc and network is disabled, it should try anything like that.

I need to check my uploaded kernel. There is something really wrong, because debug output is lost.
EDIT: I uploaded the correct version.
Last edited by Mega Man on Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
deba5er

smscdvd source

Post by deba5er »

Source for smscdvd driver *should* be on the web svn on this site, but the link hasn't worked for me lately. Here's another link where you can get the source. Just click on "sms", then "drv", then "smscdvd" in the source tree:

http://www.koders.com/info.aspx?c=Proje ... PN94UUM75F

In SMS this allows data to be placed on a home-created DVD-Video disc with a minimal VIDEO_TS folder to allow maximum non-video data.
kaiomatico

Post by kaiomatico »

I think I know what my problem was... ( the problem that the normal kernel hanged up @ "copying files and start" ) ....

the download from your website cancelled after 5 seconds of downlaod the connection... so I think my kernel was just incompleted...

pleaaaase mirror all your files elsewhere becuz your website has a few connection problems... (I could mirror,too if I would have all your files completed)

thx
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

This website is already the best I could find for free. Most providers doesn't let me upload big files. They fear to death, that someone could upload illegal mp3s. It would be nice when you could mirror it.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

I loaded the SMS CDVD driver, but I only see an empty directory of a video DVD (checked this with pressed DVDs and burned DVDs). PS1 CDs and PS2 DVDs are working. I only tried my existing DVDs without extra files.
Did someone know if SMS shows the VIDEO TS folder or other DVD video specific files?
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

Mega Man wrote:This website is already the best I could find for free. Most providers doesn't let me upload big files. They fear to death, that someone could upload illegal mp3s. It would be nice when you could mirror it.
Have you tried http://www.4shared.com?
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

Mega Man wrote:I loaded the SMS CDVD driver, but I only see an empty directory of a video DVD (checked this with pressed DVDs and burned DVDs). PS1 CDs and PS2 DVDs are working. I only tried my existing DVDs without extra files.
Did someone know if SMS shows the VIDEO TS folder or other DVD video specific files?
SMS shows the VIDEO_TS folder as well (ie all folders are visible to the SMS browser). cdfs:/ is the root directory. Pressed Video DVDs show all folders on the DVD (usually AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS).
baggacfreak

Post by baggacfreak »

Hi,

@megaman Try http://www.megaupload.com or Rapidshare for your files! As your files are all legal I guess this is the best and fastest way!
Did you get the point that with the cdvd driver you need to burn VideoDVDs which have only a 1s Video and the rest is data of your own choice? Or give the memento patcher a try. You just have to download the firmware it contains the patcher for iso images!

CU!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Another thought is to make a google page. Lots of devs put their projects on google pages. You get a decent amount of storage and bandwidth.
baggacfreak

Memor32 hdd lan adapter an everything works!

Post by baggacfreak »

Hi,

I just managed to get linux prompt on my PS2 with memor32 to boot the kernelloader 1.7 and install with the howto from Megaman! Great thing. No I can boot Linux without the RTE! Next time I will give the GUI a try and afterwards the apa support. Hopefully the sound option and all the other missing parts will come soon, too! Great work so far Megaman!

CU!

P.S.:
Next time I will post whick model I use. Think it is a V3 model, but as the lanadpater is in the way I will have to remove the hdd first X-)
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

baggacfreak wrote:Hi,

@megaman Try http://www.megaupload.com or Rapidshare for your files!
These webspaces are temporary : if the files aren't accessed within 30 days, they are recycled. Avoid these.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

They're great for when something first comes out - lot's of bandwidth to handle "the rush" of people downloading. By the time the file is no longer available, demand will be low enough to use something more long-term, but lower bandwidth.
baggacfreak

Post by baggacfreak »

I found a small error in the howto installation guide at point 7

fdisk /dev/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

should be

fdisk /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
kaiomatico

Post by kaiomatico »

w0000000000t ok your server was really good today mega man =)

I downloaded the kernels and initrd.gz sucesfully and everything worked soooo fine =) EDIT: my usb keyboard is getting detected ( it has blue light) but it won't let me type anythin into the prompt :(

hope the other ppl will have the same luck with your server like me :) thx mega man :)