Welcome to the PS2 development forum!

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

ooPo
Site Admin

Welcome to the PS2 development forum!

Post by ooPo »

Useful links will go here eventually. Feel free to suggest some.
dlanor

Re: Welcome to the PS2 development forum!

Post by dlanor »

ooPo wrote:Useful links will go here eventually. Feel free to suggest some.
I suggest not just adding some links, but rather reinstating the old subforum organization, or something similar to it. The present method of throwing everything related to PS2 into one huge forum will inevitably make it hard/impossible to find some very important threads, as they will drown in irrelevant threads that just happen to have more recent posts.

And with everything in one huge jumble, there isn't much a moderator can do about keeping it clean either, as there is no way to direct various queries to an 'ontopic' subforum, when no subforum choices exist apart from that for the console type.

I don't want to impose any specific system of subcategories here, but trying to organize any information without using some decent set of subcategories is doomed to fail.

The old methods may have been flawed, and insufficient for newer needs, but the present method is completely incapable of dealing with any serious development needs.

Best regards: dlanor
EEUG

Post by EEUG »

...I would agree with 'dlanor'...
evilo

Post by evilo »

yes, sorry but me too...
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

The old system was a bit ridiculous, the PS2 had seven (IIRC) separate forums and received about 10 posts a week between them all. The forums do have a search function, and as long as people use sensible message subjects I don't believe it'll be harder to use.

I'm going to start making a habit of banishing all these random questions that make their way here. These are development forums, not consumer PS2 forums. So questions about how to format their hdd, etc will be either deleted or moved to hall of shame (depending what mood I'm in).

Also, this sticky will contain links to "very important" threads so even if they do drown, they'll still be easy to find. (Making the threads sticky them self just makes it messy)
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

An alternative perhaps is to use the moderated system properly, create a separate forum which only mods can start threads in (for each system) and if the mod considers a thread to be worth keeping move it to the new forum where hopefully people can still post to it (not sure that is possible). That way the good stuff is sifted out from the crap, in theory.
Boyeminem

Post by Boyeminem »

Good idea! but i can't see why the ps2 part of this forum isen't organized with subforums.
Ideas for subforums would be:
Homebrew
ps2linux
pc emulators
modding an ps2

The suggestions above are random sub forums that fell into me. But i think there is room for plenty more of them.
I would like that other users come up with further suggestions to other sub-forums so the administrator can make more sub-forums to categorize the PS2 forum better.
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

Boyeminem wrote:Good idea! but i can't see why the ps2 part of this forum isen't organized with subforums.
Ideas for subforums would be:
Homebrew
ps2linux
pc emulators
modding an ps2
The PS2 forums used to be split (vu, iop, etc), but the traffic was so low we merged them, I still think this was a good idea.

Also:
ps2linux - This talk should be on playstation2-linux.com
pc emulators - This talk does not belong on ps2dev.org
modding - This talk does not belong on ps2dev.org