PS2 internal eeprom access

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Debugger

PS2 internal eeprom access

Post by Debugger »

Hello folks,

I am interested in a way to access the internal PS2 eeprom. Is there a lib for it? I think it will be very usefull to write on an unused address to save settings of any application.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

It's not safe writing to the nvram. There is no space for saving your settings. You need to save settings to a memory card. That is the purpose of the memory cards...
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Magique

Post by Magique »

Hello,
Did anyone wrote on the EEPROM to put an update BIOS on the PS2 ? because as it doesn't recognize neither the memory card, nor the HD, we are forced to put a CD each time, and the len become damaged some years later...
Is there a way, without puting a modchip or using a CD (Magic Swap or PS1 game), to boot directly on memory card or hard drive ?
weltall

Post by weltall »

no.
Magique

so...

Post by Magique »

It is a little short ^^.

Even if there is no space for putting my settings on the nvram, why can't someone put exactly the same quantity of information on the memory but with a "link" to ask to search on the memory card (with optimization of the code), like on the PS1 vulnerability ?I
weltall

Post by weltall »

nvram isn't the bios how you could put executable code on it?
Magique

Post by Magique »

I think that only Drakonite could answer this question, he spoke about that above...
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

The PS2 BIOS uses NVRAM only for settings, it will not try to execute anything from there. And if it could, it would need to be magic gate encrypted (like everything else the BIOS boots).
(The "EEPROM" in the PS2 does not contain the BIOS, the BIOS is in a mask ROM which can not be rewritten)