Firewire HD connection

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Dr.Wily

Firewire HD connection

Post by Dr.Wily »

If it possible to plug a HDD on USB port, is what possible to plug an external firewire HDD on 1394 port (I-link) ?

it exist a driver for ieee1394 PS2 port ?

It's possible or not ?
Last edited by Dr.Wily on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Sure, you can plug all sorts of hardware into the FireWire and USB ports. They just aren't useable in PSDev. :)
rinco

Post by rinco »

There is a driver for usb mass storage, it works great.. and last time I checked keyboard, mouse, eyetoy and touchscreen all work.

But I have not read about anyone releasing anything to work the ieee1394 port.
Dr.Wily

Post by Dr.Wily »

USBD.IRX is only a driver for USB or for USB and ieee1394 ?
EEUG

Post by EEUG »

Just in case if anyone is still interested: I've managed to get firewire working with ILINK.IRX from GT3 game. Actually I'm quite disappointed as a maximum raw read speed I've got is about 400KB/s (SBP-2/SCSI protocol with LaCie firewire HDD) which is even slower than USB...
Lukasz

Post by Lukasz »

EEUG wrote:Just in case if anyone is still interested: I've managed to get firewire working with ILINK.IRX from GT3 game. Actually I'm quite disappointed as a maximum raw read speed I've got is about 400KB/s (SBP-2/SCSI protocol with LaCie firewire HDD) which is even slower than USB...
That's pretty cool EEUG :-)

Any plans on writing an EE RPC library for ILINK.IRX?

Ideally there would also be a freeilink.irx, however the ILINK.IRX is huge (100K+, if I remember correctly) and probably not worth the effort, considering that there is no firewire port on the PSTwo.
EEUG

Post by EEUG »

...actually I had plans to write some analog of usb_mass, but with that speed I'll probably abandon this idea (though I'll try to put my workouts to SVN some day)...
EEUG

Post by EEUG »

...by the way, does somebody know if IOP DMA controller has a dedicated channel for i.Link interface and what are parameters (I don't really think that this information is available, but who knows :))...
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

It would certainly help speed things up if it did. :)
EEUG

Post by EEUG »

...for SMAP it helped a lot (SMS achieves download speed ~2.1MB/s over TCP connection)...
someone
Idiot

Post by someone »

Any progress?
jgrimm

Post by jgrimm »

EEUG, you could edit the driver without the transfer speed limit and recompile it with ps2sdk
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

jgrimm wrote:EEUG, you could edit the driver without the transfer speed limit and recompile it with ps2sdk
About this I'll say three things:

1: It is not a question of any explicit limit that can be removed, but a matter of difficult optimization in order to raise transfer speed of any interface.

2: EEUG has already made improved network modules for improved speed in SMS, and some versions (but not all) of those drivers are also available in the PS2Dev source repository.

3: EEUG probably could make other improvements too, but the last post of his in this thread is 20 months old now, so I think he considers this particular conversation to be over.

Best regards: dlanor
jgrimm

Post by jgrimm »

ya the post is pretty old