PS2 1xK BB Unit Club

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Dr.Wily

PS2 1xK BB Unit Club

Post by Dr.Wily »

I would talk about poor support of 10k version by the scene. This is the very fist model of PS2, you can respect this.

Why all launchers does not work ? This model is very interesting with the BB Unit.

BB Navigator contains a lot of funtions never uses by US or EURO uners. For example Web Browser, image viewvers, video editing and more.

This topic is a message for all dev who can (in the future maybe...) mod or make a launcher compatible with 10k PS2. A launcher who support BB Unit HDD and LAN card.

And a dream, a support for alternative PCMCIA LAN card like 3COM or Dlink.

A good start : a launcher who work and boot from MC (with Marcus xploit) on 10k machine.

Thank
Last edited by Dr.Wily on Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

10k machines were only released in Japan. There was never any 10k (or 15k) based hardware released outside of Japan. The 10k isn't well supported simply because nobody has one (except adresd).

Anyway, TyRaNiD got PCMCIA working (he tested on a 15k machine IIRC) so ps2link should work if you have the PCMCIA-based BB adapter.
Dr.Wily

Post by Dr.Wily »

I would like gathered all 10k, 15k, 18k users here so that they help us to find a solution for booting up launcher and other app.

I am ready for test with my PS2 10k. I do not have BB Unit but (one day maybe :D) I would have it.

I would like to make this topic a big base of information on first PS2 model. I am not a dev but I can help.
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

Okay as marcus has pointed out I have got ps2link working fine on my 15k (and for that matter ps2menu) however I am pretty confident I have answered the problems with 10k/15k/18k series in a previous post of yours. Still being lazy to find the post in question I will reinterate some important info here.

First off as stated hardly anyone has these models, even less use them for actual deving (even I don't, much easier to use a v10 + sio mod :P) and quite frankly if I were you I would just pick up a second hand machine (jap or otherwise) if you are really that fussed, they must be virtually free nowadays.

PCMCIA net card and hdd works fine as far as I could tell, noone is going to write a PCMCIA driver for a different net card as it really is not worth the effort, as long as the build of something like ps2menu is recent with the appropriately fixed dev9 (there was a bug in it once upon a time but that was maybe over a year ago now) then it should work. I have also run naplink fairly successfully on the 15k if you are too cheap to find a proper PCMCIA net card ;)

As for actually getting the exploit to work you need to do a work around to get over the fact that the 1Xk kernels have a pretty bad bug in their ExecPS2 syscall, my bodge for independance is to manually delete the sif interrupt handler before booting the main app, works okay on a single app.

Now something like ps2menu will still break as it doesn't do this and will probably exception when running the next app you specify, to get around this you need to actually patch the kernel. This patch is present in probably every modern jap ps2 game (and maybe in all games us and euro as it doesn't do any harm). I have extracted the patch and put it into my own version of ps2link which from then on works perfectly, however I was too lazy to reverse the actual patch itself so it is a sony copyrighted work and therefore not redistrubutable legally. I am not likely to reverse it now as I rarely do any ps2 work.

Of course a secondary problem revolves around programs which use IOP modules not present in the original firmware, specifically this is LIBSD and any of the XPAD stuff such as multitap support. The reason freesd was written was so libsd could be in effect redistributed on 1Xk machines (see we do support these models) however unless the app in question knows about it, and most binary only programs wont *cough* crappy warez loaders *cough*. Really using a 1Xk series ps2 for anything other than official games and personal development is just too much hassle.

On that note if you have no plans to actually do any ps2dev it probably isn't even worth my while posting a patch even for the independance exploit tool as you probably wouldn't be able to use it and I am not planning on starting distributing any binaries of stuff as I don't care enough (or for that matter have enough time to do it/test it).
Dr.Wily

Post by Dr.Wily »

As for actually getting the exploit to work you need to do a work around to get over the fact that the 1Xk kernels have a pretty bad bug in their ExecPS2 syscall, my bodge for independance is to manually delete the sif interrupt handler before booting the main app, works okay on a single app.
OK, I am back with questions.

I just brought a PCMCIA BBunit and after setup the BB Navigator I was astonished, it boot on memory card without any CD\DVD in tray !

How hell is it possible ?