Announcing SMS project

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

fringo

Post by fringo »

ntt2005 wrote:Hi,

I finally have my PS2 modded with the DUO 3 GT chip, so that I can launch SMS directly without ARMAX and disc swaps. However, SMS cannot read the divx files stored on DVDR anymore (sometimes SMS says "illegal disc", sometimes, it doesn't say anything, but it doesn't see any files on the DVDR neither) . Can anybody here help me ? I'll greatly appreciate it.

ntt
Use dvd +r media ..... dump your file to a dvd +r >when burning bitset it to dvd-rom.....
pls use <google> to know more on bitsetting or whether your dvdwritter support bitsetting..
should not have any problem after that :)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Rather than keep using the SMS thread in announcements, I'll take my observations onto the original thread. I'm running the current version in the repository, compiled with a fresh checkout of the PS2 toolchain.

So far, I've tested playing files from the harddrive, a CDDAFS disc, and a video DVD. For the DVD, I found a set of test DVD files that make a valid NTSC video DVD, but are only about 8M total. I put another directory on the disc and SMS has no trouble picking it up by simply hitting the tray eject, inserting this DVD, then hitting the tray button again.

I'm currently running SMS in VESA 60Hz mode. It looks great! If you set the second controller to "gamepad", the Sony remote works, but only as a gamepad. M3Us seem to work fine. MP3s play individually fine as well. I tried a number of different video files... XVID and DX50 play fine. I have a video that's xvid 720x480 and it plays fine as well. I played an AVI that was WMV3 and AC3... there was no video, but at least it didn't crash. The AC3 pass-thru via SPDIF worked fine. I tried an OGM file, but SMS tried to play it as an MP3 and crashed spectacularly. :)
EEUG

Post by EEUG »

...yes, file format detection method sucks (in fact any binary that is not an .avi will be treated as .mp3 if mp3 header (or alike) will be found in the first 16KB region of the file). Would anyone help with it :)?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Well, I'm looking into ogg/ogm support right now. As to better stream type detection, I haven't looked at that yet.

I've spent the evening looking around the web to see if anyone had done ogg/tremor for the PS2 yet. Found them in the the PSP SDK, but not the PS2. If anyone has any extra info, just post it. I'd rather not spend a week reinventing the wheel if I don't have to. :)

Having ogg/ogm support would take care of two big areas of media - ogg-vorbis audio files, and ogm video files. The next major container in the video arena would be mkv. AVI, OGM, and MKV make up 99% of video files (discounting the proprietary WMV).
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

The libTremor PSP port was simple, with just some modifications to the building system, not any of the code. See

Code: Select all

svn diff svn&#58;//svn.ps2dev.org/psp/vendor/libTremor/current svn&#58;//svn.ps2dev.org/psp/trunk/libTremor
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I noticed... I might try that first with the PS2 to see if the same goes for it. I noticed the PS2 is already used in the config... it's set for the old 386 IBM PS/2 computers. Given how obsolete those are, I could probably co-opt that entry for my own needs. :)
fringo

Post by fringo »

J.F. wrote:Well, I'm looking into ogg/ogm support right now. As to better stream type detection, I haven't looked at that yet.

I've spent the evening looking around the web to see if anyone had done ogg/tremor for the PS2 yet. Found them in the the PSP SDK, but not the PS2. If anyone has any extra info, just post it. I'd rather not spend a week reinventing the wheel if I don't have to. :)

Having ogg/ogm support would take care of two big areas of media - ogg-vorbis audio files, and ogm video files. The next major container in the video arena would be mkv. AVI, OGM, and MKV make up 99% of video files (discounting the proprietary WMV).
I' fact there is currently a raw Ogg port with P22.Someone has done a demo ogg audio player and is currently working on a better UI for the ogg audio player based on tremor ...
sourcecode at the forum...
http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50393

hope this help!!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Thanks! That's just the kinda thing I was looking for.
EEUG

Post by EEUG »

...I've commited my latest version to SVN (lots of changes). No warranty that it's bug free, however :)...
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Well, it compiles fine with no warnings or errors in 16 seconds. That's one of the things I like about SMS - you write some CLEAN code. Some projects I've seen generate thousands of warnings.

Anything major that is new in this version?
EEUG

Post by EEUG »

...from the user's point of view almost nothing new (except new A/V sync algorithm). Otherwise use SVN's diff (and README) to see the difference(s)...

Edit: ...yet smap.irx and ps2ip.irx f****d up beyond all recognition with host -> ps2 transfer rate ~940 KB/s...
uufyugi

Post by uufyugi »

Eliminates jerkiness of 24 fps videos by running the v-sync at 48Hz. It works for me but:
- there is no guarantee that it will work with your tv set
- there is no guarantee that your tv set won't go down in flames

Currently only works with PAL.

CAUTION!

Experimental 24i version.
Uses sync timings that are outside of safe operational limits.

May cause IRREVERSIBLE DAMAGE to your TV set or other AV equipment.

This program is an unofficial modification and has nothing to do with SMS's author EEUG. The original version is available from http://members.casema.nl/eugene_plotnikov/.

Use at your own risk.

http://rapidshare.de/files/47251043/SMS ... _.zip.html
uufyugi

Post by uufyugi »

Whoops. The chroma channel is screwed. I was foolish enough to use a b&w test pattern and a b&w movie for testing. Got to fix that.