OpenGL Support...

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

rhancock

OpenGL Support...

Post by rhancock »

I remember reading on Sony's website a while back that the PS2 supports a subset (or a full set) of OpenGL. Most of the demos I have seen don't seem to use any recognizable GL syntax. I was wondering if it were try and if so, does the PS2 support any extensions.

I have not tried yet (still waiting on the modchip to come in). It is mostly curiosity that drives me to ask.

PS Glad the forums are finally here, been waiting for them.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

The PS2 doesn't have any specific opengl hardware, although a compliant library can be made for it much like one would be made for a videocard in your PC. I don't believe there's a full opengl lib available, although you can find a lib with partial support called DreamGL at: http://www.ui.com.au

Welcome to the forums, btw. :)
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

There is another GL implementation that just might be a better one, can be found at http://members.rogers.com/jenova0/
Kung VU
rhancock

Post by rhancock »

Thanks for the reply's. I checked out both and could not get a copy of the one at Jenova0's. Both look promising, but I'm starting to get the feeling that I will have to learn all possible about the EE and workings with the VU's to get the best graphics speed and quality. I was planning on porting some of our current workings but begining to wonder how much more difficult that will be.

Thanks again.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

I know that dreamtime doesnt do much on his dreamGL, so unless you feel inclined to make dreamGL better you will probably be better of with jenovas miniGL implementation, I would suggest mailing him and ask how it goes etc, or pop by #ps2dev on efnet and ask him in person, he is always online there :)
Kung VU