PS1DRV exploit not working on first version jap ps2

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

mudpile

PS1DRV exploit not working on first version jap ps2

Post by mudpile »

I've got the exploit working succesfully on my American ps2, but have been unable to get the exploit working on my friends Japanese ps2. His ps2 is the very first Japanese ps2, SCHP-150000 or something like that I believe, the one that doesn't come with DVD drivers built in. I use an x-port to get the save's to the memory card and this has worked fine for my American ps2. I know that Japanese ps2s use BIDATA-SYSTEM to store the files rather than BADATA-SYSTEM like the AMerican ones, so I used the x-port to transfer his un-exploited Japanese System configuration file off his memory card, ran titleman and added the SLPM's for his original Japanese ps1 games to TITLE.DB put that and the BOOT.ELF into his japanese save file and used my ps2 to transfer it back to the card (unfortunately I can't boot my US x-port cd in his japanese ps2 cause of the region coding). In short, I did everything I normally do to make the exploit run on my american ps2.

Problem is, when trigger disc is booted on his ps2 with ps2menu as his BOOT.ELF the ps2 crashes at a white screen. tried hermes cogswap loader (only so that i could attempt to boot sjeep's exploit installer cd and/or my us x-port cd and possibly get exploit working properly that way) and it actually loaded up but then refused to do anything (wouldn't even recognize that a valid psx disc was inserted in drive). Anyone got any ideas? My only theory is that somehow some sort of region coding issue is coming up since the save has to go through my american ps2 before it reaches his. Thanks for your time, any help would be appreciated.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

If you at least get a white screen and can run "cogswaploader" then the exploit does work. Try a very small demo, there are plenty on www.thethirdcreation.net. A good one to test with is adresd's Meatballs. If the demo works then there is something that ps2menu does at startup that's incompatible with the Jap. console. My guess is that it initializes DEV9 (the PS2's Expansion Bay, or PCMCIA slot for his 15k), and at this time DEV9 support is broken in ps2drv for PCMCIA models. This is something that Tyranid is looking to fix.
mudpile

Post by mudpile »

Hey, thanks for the quick response, I'll try some of those demos out next time me and my ps2 are at my friends house. Just out of curiousity though, how many programs will be affected by this Dev9 initilization problem? Is this something I can expect with many or most homebrew programs or did I just make the unlucky choice of trying ps2menu first? Thanks again.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Any programs that use the network adapter and/or HDD are affected. But this is only on machines with a PCMCIA slot. Hopefully Tyranid is reading this and he has an answer on when it will be fixed :).
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

I have fixed dev9 and have also fixed what seems to be a bug in probably the 15k kernel, but it has issues with reset at the moment so I have not commited changes to CVS... When projectBP has finsihed I will attempt to get it working 100% :P

I will point out in this case that I am talking about ps2link stuff.However anything that uses sifrpc might have a chance that it will hit the "bug" so even something like ps2menu might die booting straight from the exploit.
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

Oki, further to my previous post I have modified the payload of the exploit to fix loading issues on 15k (and maybe 10k, who knows :) so most things should work out of the box. Unmodified ps2link now sort of works, still has reset issues but there you go. The bin of ps2menu now runs up, although the version of dev9 in that bin is the old broken one so it still won't work. I also have a hacked version of the hacked all in one naplink for use on old jap systems as well.

If anyone wants or needs these bits then msg me and I will sort it out until I work out where I would put such stuff.