Implementing minimal EXT2 filesystem on native PS2

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

raema

Implementing minimal EXT2 filesystem on native PS2

Post by raema »

Hi all,

I'm planning to implement the basic functionalities of the EXT2 file system for the "native" PS2 (i.e not on the ps2linux).

Before starting my work, I did a search, and find a subject of this, dating from 2005 ...

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=6379#6379

If the user mharris could contact me it would be a good start of my project. But this user activity seems ending in this same year (2005), so I fear it won't happen ...

If anyone know how to contact him ... or have some sources on this subject, I would greatly appreciate it.

I've already retrieve some other projects ext2 implementation, but I didn't settle to the one to port. Any subjection ?

(the first step would be to have only read access, no permission check, no extended attributes, no badblock listing, no longname, ... !)

Thank you for your help.
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

For relatively simple implementations, you might check the ext2/3/4 support in grub2, u-boot, or other bootloaders.
raema

Post by raema »

Hum, thank you for this suggestion.

I've just look quickly at the grub_legacy code, but I didn't find the expected usual functions ... As I know that grub uses it's "stage1" to access the filesystem, and then read the "/boot" directory, there should be what I need indeed.

I guess I need to read the code more toroughly
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

In grub-legacy it would be in stage2... check stage2/fsys_ext2fs.c.

Also check grub2 and u-boot, they're probably better. For example:
http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob ... c4;hb=HEAD
raema

Post by raema »

That is the exact file I checked ;) due to its name ...

I prefer stick to grub_legacy, as it is more "stable" and with less functionnalities (which should ease the work)

But I could have a look at the other program nevertheless.

Thanks.

I've seen that mharris looks like a wellknown contributor to ps2dev, did someine know if he is still joignable somewhere ?