network adaptor link pc dvddriver work?

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

yangjuniori

Post by yangjuniori »

my fat PS2 cannot read any DVD MEDIA......T_T
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

I don't understand your question. If your PS2 can't read any PS2 games, you may need to clean or replace your LASER unit.
yangjuniori

Post by yangjuniori »

PC DVDROM connected to the network adapter
Do in the future will be achieved
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

It is already possible to connect physically an IDE DVDROM drive, but this could be only supported by homebrew software. You will need cable extensions. There is no DVDROM driver included in the PS2SDK. I don't know if someone will do it, but it sounds interesting. The hardware registers seem to be compatible with a PC, so I assume it is possible to write a driver.
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

i think at least one person did it. i'd rather wait for him share the info (sorry for being so vague, i just saw some photos and made my assumptions. i'm not sure whether it's real or not).

personally, i think some kind of support for multiple ide devices, or cheap DIY (s)ata controller would be much more interesting (well, there is one sata controller for newer slims on psx-scene, but with no blueprints).
fulasypescados

Post by fulasypescados »

I connect a LG DVD-ROM and BLACKRHINO can detect it without problem, i use a "twist" ide cable to connect the HDD and the DVD to the network-ide adapter, here is a snapshot of the output dmesg

When a try to mount it, i get an error like, driver not present hdb is no a valid block device.
I do the same some years ago and works fine with a CD-WRITER, i not remember what drive was, but work whitout a problem, i think that linux detect it like a scsi unit because was a CD-WHITER.
Sorry for my little english i have to practice it more time.

EDIT.
I found in this forum that i was posting about the same thing, and what i see, is that i use a recompiled kernel with IDE-ATAPI support.
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... ght=dvdrom

EDIT2.
I find it, only need ide-scsi.o module. http://playstation2-linux.com/forum/mes ... g_id=48159
yangjuniori

Post by yangjuniori »

Can not be running?
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

I forgot that Linux has the full support for it on the fat PS2, but at least the IDE ATAPI CDROM driver need to be enabled.
On the slim PSTwo it may work with v12 if you have the hardware extension, but it will not work with v14 or higher.
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

I believe that yangjuniori may want to use an IDE DVD drive for running normal PS2 games, and as yet none of us have given a straight answer in simple english to that particular issue.

@yangjuniori:
Sorry, but NO.
It is NOT possible to run PS2 games on an IDE DVD drive.

Doing so would require new homebrew software that does not exist yet.

Best regards: dlanor