Network Driver ps2smap for Slim PTwo v16+ (SCPH-79001)

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

bruno.bertechini

Network Driver ps2smap for Slim PTwo v16+ (SCPH-79001)

Post by bruno.bertechini »

Hi, I was wondering if someone here is able to use ps2link withe the v16 version of the PSTwo console: SCPH-79001.

I've booted with Sony's official Disc to setup internet connection for DNAS and it works just fine. I was worried if my network adapter might be damaged.

I've successfully acquired IP Address through DHCP using the official disc (the one shipped together with the console).

After tried ps2link from different versions, I've change the DEBUG option in the Makefile and enabled it (setting DEBUG=1).

Here is the result:

Code: Select all

Welcome to pswlink v1.52
Screenshow capable
pswlink loaded at 0x000A8000-0x000F79E9
Checking argv
path is mc0:/boot/boot.elf
Booting from mc0:/boot/boot.elf
Using cached config
reset iop
rpc init
Initializing...
loading modules
loadModules
Net config: 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1
Exec poweroff module. (d8050, 3413) [0] returned
Exec ps2dev9 module. (d49c0, 10113) [0] returned
Exec ps2ip module. (be4e0, 78225) [0] returned
Exec ps2smap module. (d1690, 13077) [0] returned
Exec ioptrap module. (d7160, 3805) [0] returned
Exec ps2link module. (b4410, 344115113) [0] returned
All modules loaded on IOP.
init cmdrpc
Ready 
But the network adapter do not "link" to my switch. It does not turn on the link leds neither from the console or from my network switch.

So I am pretty sure the network driver from PS2DEV/PS2Link is not working for slim PSTwo v16 SCPH-79001.

Is anybody aware of that? Any reported/known issue about it?

Curiosity: The Official CD from Sony does contain a smap.irx module. Is that usable in anyway to "extract" it and use as the slim driver?

Is that possible?
whig

Post by whig »

My slim has network enough to do ftp (and ps2link iirc). Not the same version as yours though. SCPH-77002_BIOS_VX_PAL_220.
bruno.bertechini

whig wrote:My slim has network enough to do ftp (and ps2link iirc). Not the same version as yours though. SCPH-77002_BIOS_VX_PAL_220.
Thanks for the update whig, but the models are very different. Even both are PSTwo slim the 79XXX was completely redesigned (internally). The motherboard is different and smaller, the network model is different.

I have tested the exactly version from ps2link I am using on my v16 on a v15 (your's model - SCPH-770XX) and it's working fine.

I still can't figure out if this is only a ps2smap.irx problem or something related to the BIOS.
misfire

Post by misfire »

FYI, I've got the model SCPH-90004 and network works fine. No problem with SMAP.

Also, you won't be able to simply replace the module. Sony's smap.irx has other dependencies and (IIRC) doesn't provide the same functionality.
bruno.bertechini

misfire wrote:FYI, I've got the model SCPH-90004 and network works fine. No problem with SMAP.

Also, you won't be able to simply replace the module. Sony's smap.irx has other dependencies and (IIRC) doesn't provide the same functionality.
When you say "its working fine" do you mean ps2link and/or linux?

Can you please send me your ps2link.elf that is working for you?

Regards
bruno.bertechini

misfire wrote:FYI, I've got the model SCPH-90004 and network works fine. No problem with SMAP.

We still have different models right? 79001 / 90004...It might be different...

Bruno
misfire

Post by misfire »

Yes, my model is newer.

I've got no problem using ps2link and ps2client (on Ubuntu).

Here's a compiled version of ps2link: ps2link-1.52-bin.tar.gz
bruno.bertechini

misfire wrote:Yes, my model is newer.

I've got no problem using ps2link and ps2client (on Ubuntu).

Here's a compiled version of ps2link: ps2link-1.52-bin.tar.gz
Does your network link adapter turns on when ps2link boot? I mean, are you using crossover / switch?

If you're using switch, are the leds coming green when ps2link get booted?
misfire

Post by misfire »

I'm using a crossover cable. It blinks green on the PC end when ps2link starts up.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

The ps2smap.irx module doesn't have support for the PHY chip used in the slim PSTwo, but it is somehow working on the most consoles.
I normally would assume that link detection fails on all slim PSTwo, because the PHY registers are different. If the link detection fails the network driver is not working, you will see the ~1 minute time delay. If link detection fails on the first time, it will also not work if you plug in the cable later. There is no support for this situation. If you use a switch wich have a faster link detection, it could work better.
I've still not found the datasheet for the newer PHY, but I found the Linux source code, which should work. This need to be worked into the ps2smap.irx code.

EDIT: Link detection is slower if you use a cross over cable for the connection to the switch. The use of a normal patch cable is faster, because the Link-X stuff don't need to switch the lines.

EDIT2: I had the experience that network is only working with a switch that supports 100Mb/s (not with 10 Mb/s only).
Last edited by Mega Man on Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
methos3

Post by methos3 »

There is also another thing to check...
By the way... is your console moded? If yes, you should check the modchip's options, and correctly configure.
I heard of a case where aa option named "DVD+R Dual Layer" had to be active in order to use the network through ps2smap, and it was working ok on Sony softwares.

Another thing...
Modchips aren't ilegal, are they? :/
Last edited by methos3 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruno.bertechini

methos3 wrote:There is also another thing to check...
By the way... is your console moded? If yes, you should check the modchip's options, and correctly configure.
I heard of a case where a option named "DVD+R Dual Layer" had to be active in order to use the network trough ps2smap, and it was working ok on Sony softwares.
Cool. Thanks for the update. Yes my console is moded (Thunder PRO II chip). And it does have a DVD+R Dual Layer option at the config menu. Will try that. Thanks again.

methos3 wrote: Another thing...
Modchips aren't ilegal, are they? :/
In parts. They are "legal" modifications. There is a huge discussion about it.

Bruno
bruno.bertechini

MegaMan wrote: EDIT: Link dectection is slower if you use a cross over cable for the connection to the switch. The use of a normal patch cable is faster, because the Link-X stuff don't need to switch the lines.
I'm using a normal patch cable to connect the console to the switch.
MegaMan wrote: EDIT2: I had the experience that network is only working with a switch that supports 100Mb/s (not with 10 Mb/s only).
My switch is a 10/100Mb/s.

So I will try the DVD+R options and let you guys know...

Bruno
bruno.bertechini

methos3 wrote: There is also another thing to check...
I heard of a case where a option named "DVD+R Dual Layer" had to be active in order to use the network trough ps2smap, and it was working ok on Sony softwares.
FANTASTIC :) It fixed the network problem. I just enabled the option "DVD+R DL" and the network is fully functional in ps2link...

Not only the link status (green, at last) but I can ping and send/receive tcp packets to the console.

Thank you very much methos3.

Anyway, Is there any reason for that?

It sounds really odd to me...
methos3

Post by methos3 »

The Thunder PRO II is produced here in Brazil, and one of their programers answers questions to the users on a forum.
I saw a topic talking about it once, and, the programmer said that it (the DVD+R DL option) activates some king of flag.
I didn't understand this problem very well, what have the modchip to do with those flags (cpu flags, maybe?), but, anyway... I'm glad it worked!
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

Just for the sake of curiosity, what's the meaning of the term 'smap'?
methos3

Post by methos3 »

If oyu mean... what is the smap, it's the open source driver for Sony's Network Adaptor, but... if you mean, what does "smap" means, I don't know :/
It must be "sony xxxx xxxx xxxx" : )
Cya!