Questions to help put me in the right direction....

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Espionage724

Questions to help put me in the right direction....

Post by Espionage724 »

Hi everyone!

1. Can linux be installed to a slim PS2?

2. Can it be installed easily (if #1 is true)

3. Can any version of linux be installed or does it have to be a certain one?

4. Does linux have hardware accelration support for graphics on the PS2?

5. Can a windows program emulator (besides wine) be installed?

6. Does PS2 Linux support 5.1 and above sound systems?

7. If linux can be installed to a slim PS2, does the ethernet port work?

8. Would a usb wireless adapter work in a slim PS2?

9. Does PS2 linux have a GUI? (does any distro that supports PS2 have a GUI)

Also I'm new to the fourms!
emoon

Post by emoon »

You can start with searching the forums first
deba5er

Re: Questions to help put me in the right direction....

Post by deba5er »

Espionage724 wrote:Hi everyone!

1. Can linux be installed to a slim PS2?
Yes
2. Can it be installed easily (if #1 is true)
For someone experienced with Linux since there are some instructions on this maybe, but it is harder than on the fat ps2, and looks hard for a novice Linux installer due to use of root pivot.
3. Can any version of linux be installed or does it have to be a certain one?
If you have the official kit you can load that version, but the Blackrhino version on the site is the one everyone seems to use. I based my distro on it - http://www.4shared.com/dir/8728191/2a84 ... aring.html
4. Does linux have hardware accelration support for graphics on the PS2?
Some of the programs on http://playstation2-linux.com/ try to use acceleration I believe, but I don't see it in the base Blackrhino install. I'm not sure, really. I did set the HAVE_MMI on mplayer compilation though and it now plays .flv (Youtube or flash video) on ps2linux so maybe it does work.
I haven't seen any working windows emulator including wine working on ps2linux. You have to understand that the real limitation here is 32MB RAM. Unless the ps2 can be hard-modded to 64MB or more (the development ps2s have 64MB so ?maybe?) the mainstream windows emulators likely won't have enough memory to run even if they could be compiled with an ancient compiler (gcc 2.95)/libraries.
6. Does PS2 Linux support 5.1 and above sound systems?
Not to my knowledge. OSS and SDL audio seems to work fine. SDL audio seems to be better than OSS from my experiments with mplayer.
7. If linux can be installed to a slim PS2, does the ethernet port work?
This is the major problem. with the slim. Megaman will rewrite the ethernet driver for the slim soon I think. This will make the slim a reasonable ps2linux system, other than the slower usb access to files compared to the hdd of the fat ps2. But since the usb 1.0 port is 12 Mbps theoretical and ethernet is 100 Mbps theoretical maximum speed, maybe with the ethernet driver fix, ps2linux will load and run over the network to a mounted drive?
8. Would a usb wireless adapter work in a slim PS2?
I don't think so. I have a direct ethernet connect to a wireless bridge device, so same difference I suppose.
9. Does PS2 linux have a GUI? (does any distro that supports PS2 have a GUI)
Yes - X-Windows - Xfree 3.x. Then you can choose window managers - Windowmaker and fluxbox, anything else can be compiled. I wish someone had a good compiled newer Xfree version or xorg version. It would be neat to use the faster xvideo mode available in the newer Xfree.
Also I'm new to the fourms!
Espionage724

Post by Espionage724 »

K thanks for the reply. I did try searching but have found nothing directly saying what I needed to even attempt to get linux running on a slim ps2.
emoon

Post by emoon »

belek666

Re: Questions to help put me in the right direction....

Post by belek666 »

Espionage724 wrote:
I've compiled a bochs x86 emulator for ps2 linux but Windows 95 run very slow on it. I've also compiled a dosbox.
Espionage724

Post by Espionage724 »

I still didn't see anything directly stating what I should have and how to install it if I have a PS2 slim... I clicked some link on the page you gave me and it gave instructions, but it also said not recommended on PS2 slim and it said it required the network port which doesnt work under linux on the slim if im correct?
deba5er

ps2 slim network

Post by deba5er »

You read correctly that PS2 Slim network does not work with ps2-linux/kernelloader. Megaman wrote on July 5 that he is not working on it actively at the moment, but that after he finishes his current project he will try to fix it. The post is here: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... 72c0927658
Espionage724

Post by Espionage724 »

so does that mean no slim linux?
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

Espionage724 wrote:so does that mean no slim linux?
No, but since PS2 Linux on a Slim PS2 (which works according to posts on this site) doesn't have network capability (at the moment), most people won't find it useful.
Espionage724

Post by Espionage724 »

meh only thing i wanted to do in linux was run Diablo 2 under a windows app emu
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

Espionage724 wrote:meh only thing i wanted to do in linux was run Diablo 2 under a windows app emu
That's... never going to work... ever...
Espionage724

Post by Espionage724 »

meh ill find other things to do then but i still need help...