Updating PS2 Tutorials and Loaders sections...

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

LBGSHI

Updating PS2 Tutorials and Loaders sections...

Post by LBGSHI »

...and I need some input from staff (and anyone else, I suppose), as to what methods of launching an ELF are acceptable to add to PS2Dev.org (FMCB, VAST, Memor32/Memento, uLE, etc). I noticed a while ago that these sections are badly outdated in terms of methods of loading ELFs, and I'd like to update them, but I want a consensus from the community (or at least the staff) first. I ran it by Oobles, and he told me to throw it out there on the forums, so here it is :)
I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz...
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

i'm not a part of staff, so my input might not matter, but i'd like to clarify few things.

first of all, vast does not exist.

i think memento is illegal, because it distributes sony's dvdplayer.elf with injected custom code, as far as fmcb hackers could find out. (it's probably the same with datel's max memory cards with preinstalled save manager).

fmcb uses the same technique, but it does not provide any sony binaries with itself - it extracts dvd player from console bios, and injects its code into it. finally it signs it, so that it passes secrman's memory card signature check during OSDSYS startup.

the fmcb installer itself uses reimplemented routines from reverse engineered "special" secrman module (one that was used in dvd player update disks to sign elf files for memory cards), but it does not include that module at all.

so i'd say that fmcb is pretty safe, while memento is not.

memor32 is just a memory card. you can use fmcb on it. each memor32 card has the same digital signature (generated when signing an elf via secrman)

the things about fmcb i wrote - i know them first hand from one of fmcb devs. you might try verifying them on psx-scene forums, just in case, though.

so i'd say

vast - n/a
fmcb - yes
memento - no
memor32 + fmcb - yes
LBGSHI

Post by LBGSHI »

Heh, since no one else seems to have an opinion, I will go with your suggestions, and the site can be un-updated if necessary ;)

Thanks for the input.
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

Normal rules apply:
* If it's primarily used for warez, avoid it (unless it makes homebrew development SIGNIFICANTLY easier than other methods)
* If it distributes copyright code/binaries without license, it's just not allowed here.
* Work must be plausible (it must be possible to see how they arrived with this method without using illegal methods)
* No drama
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

Work must be plausible (it must be possible to see how they arrived with this method without using illegal methods)
as far as this is concerned, the fmcb developers used dvd update disk for ps2. as their starting point.

first they used in-bios secrman procedures to decrypt files on the disk.

after doing so, they found the alternate secrman module inside called "secrman_special" (which can sign encrypted executables with memory card signature, in-bios secrman can only decrypt files, if the signature is valid).

finally they analyzed this module, rewrote in in pseudo-c initially, and then reimplemented all the necessary methods it does by hand. it was all based on reverse-engineering the SecrDownloadGetKc SecrDownloadGetBit funcitons inside secrman_special module, which are the only things secrman_special was needed for.

( http://www.psx-scene.com/forums/420881-post303.html )
If it's primarily used for warez, avoid it
well, fmcb has no direct warez-capabilities. by default it launches ulaunchelf, or modified OSDSYS

in any case, you can try contacting dlanor,jimmikaelkael, neme or ffgriever on psx-scene forums to get more in-depth explanation. that is what i learned from forums and PM talks with the devs.
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

fmcb is fine, I didn't mean to imply it's not :)
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

no problem, i just wanted to set things straight :]
LBGSHI

Post by LBGSHI »

Yeah, I ended up just putting FMCB up there. It's really the only one that's worth adding anyway, heh. I suppose I could add uLE somewhere as well...
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I used to use the ID Exploit for the longest time. I just recently switched to FMCB and I'm glad I did. It's really nice (and doesn't need a PS1 disc to activate). I really like how it integrates itself into the PS2 interface - that's very professional looking.
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

While FMCB is all nice 'n' legal (well depends which country you are in I suppose) the forums are basically awash with people using it to play warez. Oh well, things never change :)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Yes, any tool that can be used can be misused. The problem isn't anywhere near as bad as the companies pretend it is. "Piracy" is no worse now than it was thirty years ago, despite being arguably easier to do. I'd actually argue that modern piracy is more beneficial than the old version, mainly in raising product awareness. But that's not something we deal with here. I need to get ps2link configured and running. I had it set running from uLE (started via the IDEx), so it shouldn't be any problem getting that working with FMCB. I should take the opportunity to make sure I have the latest version.
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

J.F. wrote:I need to get ps2link configured and running. I had it set running from uLE (started via the IDEx), so it shouldn't be any problem getting that working with FMCB. I should take the opportunity to make sure I have the latest version.
It as simple of using the FMCB configurator to browse to the same location where your ps2link is stored to add an entry to the sony OSD menu.

And please return to the PS2 scene :) Your wizdom is always welcome.