PS2 Game Development?

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Komiyan

PS2 Game Development?

Post by Komiyan »

This is my first post on these forums so, Hi!

Ok, my questions are:

1. Can I write and run Ps2 Games in C++?
2. Do I need any hardware for my PS2 to run the games if so can I avoid this?
3. Could I just put the files on to a DVD and run in my PS2?
4. For example, if i was making a platform or RPG game how would my PS2 know what each button on the controller does?
I have only ever made games for Windows.

Thanks!
LionX

Post by LionX »

looking at you qusestions i can tell that you dont even know c or c++, but thats ok. first fo all check ps2dev.org for tool that can help you boot a copy of ps2link cd (not dvd) on your ps2. you will also need a network adapter for your ps2 (if fat version) so you can hook up you ps2 to your router or directly (using a cross-over cable). i would recomend you to test and demos after you hook that stuff up just to have some fun and see the demos that other people have done over the years. then you can start looking at sources/examples in the ps2sdk then you can check out LIBPAD.H and then you will see that reading the controller is simples as:

// reading the pad with:
int data;
dat = PadReaD(port);

// then check witch button was pressed

if(data & PAD_UP)
{

printf("you just hit pad up\n");
}
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Whether you need to buy hardware to run homebrew on your ps2 depends on what version of ps2 you have.

In all cases, buying a copy of swap magic with elf launching capability will get you the ability to run elfs from supported usb thumb drives. The other program that can run elf files that is available in stores, which is Max Media Player, has very low compatability.

If you have a "fat" ps2, the PS2 independence exploit will work, but you will need a cheat device to copy a special system save onto your memory card, and a trigger disc.

If you have any version of the slim ps2 this will not work. You will instead have to use the hacked memory card method. unfortunately, without the access to run ps2 independence, you will need a modchip or swap magic to start the installer elf to patch the memory card.

If you have the latest revision of the slim, then the memory card hack will not function either, and you must use either a modchip, swap magic, or a swap trick.

Homebrew is not capable of accessing a disc that hasn't been authenticated by the mechanics controller. It can access redbook audio cs, authentic non import game discs, and dvd movie discs, though that bit requires some trickery. everything else is accessible.

As for why those exploits were closed, pirates are to blame. Had a certain DMCA circumvention application never been developed, independence would never have been blocked.