USB.IRX question

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

someone
Idiot

USB.IRX question

Post by someone »

Hello, i would like to ask if it would be possible to add usb 2.0 support for that module. I know ps2 usb are only 1.1 but i want to use it for another thing. Could somebody ilustrate me a bit about that?
LBGSHI

Post by LBGSHI »

Are you going to build USB 2.0 ports, and solder them to the board?
I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz...
aries2k

Post by aries2k »

LBGSHI wrote:Are you going to build USB 2.0 ports, and solder them to the board?
Lol, is that what it would take to have usb 2.0 capabilty? hmm.
I know why he´s asking this.
Ps2 homebrew is still alive on PS2 compatible PS3s and the ps3 has USB 2.0 ports.
So alot of people, including myself, are wondering if usb 2.0 would be possible?
Is the only thing that limits the ps2 to usb 1.1 the hardware and the usb drivers or is there other factors involved?
I figure this is the best forum to try and get an answer to this question.
bye
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

Newer PS2s are USB 2.0 certified anyway... this is because USB 2.0 completely includes the old USB 1.1 spec... I think what you guys actually mean is "USB Hi-Speed" (480mbits)
And the IOP has no where near the ability to cope with that kind of bandwidth (see: 100mbit ethernet, 400mbit firewire, and neither of these have the CPU overhead of USB)
aries2k

Post by aries2k »

Ah, so were limited because of the IOP. Now that you mention it, I remember somebody mentioning that´s why a LAN connection is so slow.
That´s a bummer.
Ok, thanks for the info.
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

Sorry, my post was a bit vague. You're limited because the USB host controller on the PS2 is OHCI and only implements Low Speed and Full Speed. My point was more even if you were to attach an EHCI controller some how (or the PS3 does this, or whatever) the IOP is hopelessly underpowered to support "High Speed", so it's completely redundant. :)