Wireless 360 controller with PS2 - Confused noob needs help

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Dragonshadow

Wireless 360 controller with PS2 - Confused noob needs help

Post by Dragonshadow »

First off, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I didn't see a requests forum so...

Anyway, this originally started as a discussion on the console-exploits forum (The Thread: Here) , but no one there seems to think its possible.

What I want is a sort of driver for the ps2 that could be loaded before any games using a program like freemcboot, uLaunchElf, etc.
This "driver" would let you use a 360 controller (through the usb ports on the front) in place of a dualshock controller. It would basically "port" the buttons through the console.

Square = X,
Triangle = Y,
Circle = B,
X = A,
R1 = Right Bumper
LS = Left Bumper
R2 = Right Trigger
L2 = Left Trigger
Back = Select
Start = Start
Analog sticks do what analog sticks do, and the DPad is a dpad, nothing much to say there.

So I ask you, not knowing much about .elf/.irx files, is this possible in the slightest?
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

Sure, of course. AFAIK there's a linux driver for the x360 USB pad, so the protocol is documented. You'd just need to write an IRX that stays resident and reads data from the USB pad and then injects this data every frame into the normal pad buffer.
But the easier solution would be to make some hardware (PIC Micro jumps to mind) that just acts like a PS2 controller and reads the USB pad (not as hard as it sounds since there are SPI USB Host devices).
Of course just because it's possible doesn't mean that it's easy, and people here aren't here to hand hold you for a project. And since you can't even decide whether this is possible or not I doubt you're anywhere near experienced enough to pull this off. (this isn't a personal attack, the PS2 is a hard console to work with)
Dragonshadow

Post by Dragonshadow »

jbit wrote:Sure, of course. AFAIK there's a linux driver for the x360 USB pad, so the protocol is documented. You'd just need to write an IRX that stays resident and reads data from the USB pad and then injects this data every frame into the normal pad buffer.
But the easier solution would be to make some hardware (PIC Micro jumps to mind) that just acts like a PS2 controller and reads the USB pad (not as hard as it sounds since there are SPI USB Host devices).
Of course just because it's possible doesn't mean that it's easy, and people here aren't here to hand hold you for a project. And since you can't even decide whether this is possible or not I doubt you're anywhere near experienced enough to pull this off. (this isn't a personal attack, the PS2 is a hard console to work with)
Lol I wasn't asking if it was possible so I could try to do it, I know nothing about programming, nothing at all. I just wanted to know if it was possible, and if someone could do it.

Yeah, looks like its nowhere near being "easy" to do though.
Thanks anyway.