Tyrian port

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

user112

Tyrian port

Post by user112 »

No Tyrian for no one, thanks to that mr. smartypants below.
Last edited by user112 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.F.

Re: Tyrian port

Post by J.F. »

user112 wrote: If someone is interested in continuing the development, I'll post the source.
Err, no. It's a GPL licensed project, so you'll post the code, period. Failure to do so is a violation of the license.

What's with people that do conversions of GPL projects for various consoles (PS1, PS2, PSP, NDS, NGC) and think they don't have to post the code??

The only time you don't have to post the code is if you NEVER make the altered app available. The moment you redistribute the altered project, you come under the GPL and the altered code MUST be published.

I just take the easy route on my conversions - I include the code with the app so no one can bitch.
Pirata Nervo

Post by Pirata Nervo »

Lol at what he wrote after he edited his post
Upgrade your PSP
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Now he's in violation of the GPL... you can't release and then pretend you didn't. He no longer has any right to use the Tyrian code at all until he gets permission from all the authors in writing (GPL v2 rules... v3 has some automatic restoration rules if the person clears up their violation).

I love how he tries to make ME the bad guy here when HE'S the one violating the license. :)
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

He is also the author or Argon, based on SMS by EEUG. Accordingly to the SMS readme :
License
----------------------------------------------------------------------
For my code it is the same as for ps2sdk (AFL). For ffmpeg -
"GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation;
either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version" :).
I wonder if he's using the ffmpeg parts also... 'Cause he doesn't share the Argon sources :

http://ps2-scene.org/forums/438438-post688.html

---
edit reason : wrong URL
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

It's not surprising that someone willing to violate the license on one project is willing to violate it on others. It's just like I said in my first post in this thread. You can't take open source and turn it into closed unless the license allows it (like BSD).

The common excuse for this is just what you see in the post you linked:
I see lots of kiddie hackerz lurking around who will shred my poor program to smithereens for the sake of putting their name on that, adding some retarded skins, etc.
Well, it wasn't HIS program in the first place. Converting an app to a different platform doesn't make it yours. The original authors still have full rights the same as the original code.
user112

Post by user112 »

Nice, a bunch of linux losers talking shit and lies behind my back. Why I'm not surprised?
I won't bother checking that forum, so mr. smartypants and the like, shut the fuck up.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Look, you got caught with your pants down. Now you know how the GPL works. Be a man and suck it up. You're being a little wuss right now. Better that you learn from this mistake now then wind up being sued later by some other project where the authors give a damn (like BusyBox).
misfire

Post by misfire »

http://ps2-scene.org/forums/438681-post4.html

Ridiculous. Not a single bit of respect. He should rather be thankful to those "linux losers". Because without them and the PS2SDK, none of "his" work would have been possible in the first place.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

I guess all that's left now is to port Tyrian and release the source.

I mean, how hard is it to 'port' SDL apps anyway? :)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

ooPo wrote:I guess all that's left now is to port Tyrian and release the source.

I mean, how hard is it to 'port' SDL apps anyway? :)
Which is why it really irritates me when you see a "port" without source, and they claim that they aren't releasing the source because "someone will steal it and claim they did it."
LBGSHI

Post by LBGSHI »

That's pretty lame, user112. It's one thing to have been ignorant, and made an honest mistake (though, if you were willing to share the source via email, I don't see why you wouldn't just share it publicly), but once that was pointed out to you, you acted like a complete child.

It's always great to see people actually working on something (if you really did the work yourself, that is), but to toss respect, courtesy, and general, ethical behavior out the window is disgraceful.
I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz...
user112

Post by user112 »

Whoa, aren't these morons overreacting with their bullshit, like, a lot?
Feeling afraid of some stranger? Someone who won't share your "values" and play by your "rules". A stranger who might shed some light on that stinking hole. Afraid that someone may find out that all you do is sucking each other's dicks?
The thing is, I don't care. Someone should, but it won't be me. As long as I care, you may continue to rot in your shithole, just don't splash the shit around.

P.S. Shit is going to fly all over the place, just back up and watch.
P.P.S. Maybe, just maybe, instead of throwing shit you should get busy trying to get your so called OS operate or something...
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Someone is trying for the Hall of Shame! Time for a ban, me thinks...

user112: None of your trash talking is deflecting attention from the fact that you broke the license. You done wrong and won't own to it. You're not a man, even if you try to cuss like one. You're a stupid little git who's throwing a temper tantrum like a little baby. :)
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

This is starting to become rude rather than a discussion on licensing.

Time to lock it up.